Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

I for one would be VERY excited if we picked up FTorres.  Granted, this past season he has not preformed very well (primarily as a sub)-  which is a big reason why Barca want rid.  But honestly, look at the previous 2 seasons of goal contributions (G+A).  69 appearances and 33 G/A.  That is 0.47 G/A per game.  Nearly 1 in 2.  Those are fantastic numbers- especially coming from a young player.  His first season with Citeh he was only 20.

Imagine what wonders King Emery could do with a talent like FTorres?  He would be flying...

I would be excited too, I think all us would be. At the very least, it would be a statement signing for us and turn a lot of heads…

I’m just considering whether he is a priority, how good he can/would be for us and whether he can actually cover for Watkins. I don’t think he’d be the only attacking signing either… there might be someone more suitable for that job and we may utilise Ferran differently…

As for Unai, I just feel like any player who joins us is going to thrive under his elite coaching and management. I think we have such a positive atmosphere and “good group”… we are a great club and project to join in on imo..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I did watch a lot of him and found him underwhelming.  Stats are one thing but know that doesn’t tell everything as El Ghazi proves.

I thought the stats were a little underwhelming too, considering how rated and talked about he is. But… he does seem like one of those players whose potential needs unlocking and Unai is the man for the job…

I keep repeating myself, but certain players need the right environment and manager to thrive… he would be one such player and I feel like these could be the sort of targets we have in mind… almost like players that need “rescuing” 😆 and can thrive here…

I just have so much faith in Unai. Seeing what he’s done with our players (like McGinn and Ollie on his goalscoring run) makes me so excited to see a) how much further improvement he can get out of our current crop and b) how much he can elevate and take new players to the next level or two…

The man didn’t even have a preseason or a full season… these are his first ones with us… I think he’s going to take full advantage…

Almost feels like players who don’t join are missing out 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I would be excited too, I think all us would be. At the very least, it would be a statement signing for us and turn a lot of heads…

I’m just considering whether he is a priority, how good he can/would be for us and whether he can actually cover for Watkins. I don’t think he’d be the only attacking signing either… there might be someone more suitable for that job and we may utilise Ferran differently…

As for Unai, I just feel like any player who joins us is going to thrive under his elite coaching and management. I think we have such a positive atmosphere and “good group”… we are a great club and project to join in on imo..

I wouldn’t be excited and it’s definitely not a statement signing.  To me it’s a bit underwhelming but if Emery wants him then I’m good with it.  If we do sign him then great but it will be a bit meh to me and I will just be positive that Emery knows what he’s doing but I won’t be jumping for joy at the initial signing.  Hope I’m wrong but I’d rather look elsewhere and get somebody else in.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I thought the stats were a little underwhelming too, considering how rated and talked about he is. But… he does seem like one of those players whose potential needs unlocking and Unai is the man for the job…

I keep repeating myself, but certain players need the right environment and manager to thrive… he would be one such player and I feel like these could be the sort of targets we have in mind… almost like players that need “rescuing” 😆 and can thrive here…

I just have so much faith in Unai. Seeing what he’s done with our players (like McGinn and Ollie on his goalscoring run) makes me so excited to see a) how much further improvement he can get out of our current crop and b) how much he can elevate and take new players to the next level or two…

The man didn’t even have a preseason or a full season… these are his first ones with us… I think he’s going to take full advantage…

Almost feels like players who don’t join are missing out 🤣

I agree with everything you have said about Emery.  Having watched F.Torres, just was never impressed, in fact I never bought he had much at all.  Just don’t see it in him.

On 03/07/2023 at 12:18, Woody1000 said:

Ffs, I’ve just watched a Roger Ibañez video on YouTube and now I want him.

Makes some great guitars too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I wouldn’t be excited and it’s definitely not a statement signing.  To me it’s a bit underwhelming but if Emery wants him then I’m good with it.  If we do sign him then great but it will be a bit meh to me and I will just be positive that Emery knows what he’s doing but I won’t be jumping for joy at the initial signing.  Hope I’m wrong but I’d rather look elsewhere and get somebody else in.

Oh really? I think most people would view it that way, would be seen as a major coup for us in the media and other clubs and fans.

I do wonder if there’s a better option or better fit for us though but I don’t think we’re only going to bring in one attacking player either…

Who would you prefer and see as a bigger (yet realistic) signing?

Names like Chiesa (my favourite) and Felix have been thrown around… but it doesn’t feel like there’s any credence to that and they would be extra difficult to attract…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

In the current set up he’d be a straight swop out for Bailey, but could play either side of Watkins in a 4-3-3 or off the wing in a 4-1-4-1 (there’s plenty of options). He wasn’t pushed out of Citeh, Barca wanted him and what young Spanish player turns that down? 

Under Emery’s leadership I think he could be incredible, and the most high profile signing we could hope to make at this stage of our development (accepting Chiesa type signings are still out of our reach for now). For the money suggested it would be brilliant business - imo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I agree with everything you have said about Emery.  Having watched F.Torres, just was never impressed, in fact I never bought he had much at all.  Just don’t see it in him.

That’s fair enough… 

But, we said the same and worse about our own players before Unai worked his magic…

The turnaround on McGinn has been incredible really… even Emi improved (on the ball).

Almost every single player reached a new level or got back to their previous best.

There must be something about Ferran if he has been capped by Spain and played for Citeh and Barca…

I think a lot of people would be shocked that we signed him, even moreso than Pau…

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

In the current set up he’d be a straight swop out for Bailey, but could play either side of Watkins in a 4-3-3 or off the wing in a 4-1-4-1 (there’s plenty of options). He wasn’t pushed out of Citeh, Barca wanted him and what young Spanish player turns that down? 

Under Emery’s leadership I think he could be incredible, and the most high profile signing we could hope to make at this stage of our development (accepting Chiesa type signings are still out of our reach for now). For the money suggested it would be brilliant business - imo. 

Sure, do you think he could effectively cover for or compete with Ollie?

If Ollie was out, do you think Ferran could excel in his role?

On 04/07/2023 at 10:13, Steero113 said:

Ash did well against him, but not sure he 'schooled' him. 

Have already stated at season’s end this is the wide player Villa should be looking at. Imo better positionally than Johnson and probably cheaper too. Would be a great signing for the Villa before Everton sign him.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

That’s fair enough… 

But, we said the same and worse about our own players before Unai worked his magic…

The turnaround on McGinn has been incredible really… even Emi improved (on the ball).

Almost every single player reached a new level or got back to their previous best.

There must be something about Ferran if he has been capped by Spain and played for Citeh and Barca…

I think a lot of people would be shocked that we signed him, even moreso than Pau…

Problem is you talk about back to their previous best, I just didn’t think he had enough to start with so he’s nothing to go back to.  

I also disagree about most fans thinking it’s a coup.  Outside of this forum in my life, I’ve not met one Villa fan excited by him and yes that’s only anecdotal but still.  Definitely nowhere near the P.Torres signing at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is you talk about back to their previous best, I just didn’t think he had enough to start with so he’s nothing to go back to.  

I also disagree about most fans thinking it’s a coup.  Outside of this forum in my life, I’ve not met one Villa fan excited by him and yes that’s only anecdotal but still.  Definitely nowhere near the P.Torres signing at all.

Oh wow, it’s funny how much and how drastically fan opinion can differ 😆

As ever, we will see.

It’s just so good and so refreshing to see the club in such a positive state and a manager we can have full faith in. Not the norm for us…

No worries really… just sit back and let him work his magic. We can just enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

It's quite noticeable how people don't get excited by players who are playing/have played in the Premier League, but do get excited by those who haven't.

Ignorance is bliss or something?

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I generally feel like, we shouldn’t be sharing the aggregater’s tweets, we should be sharing the source tweet/article 

If there’s no source, it’s not worth talking about. 

however, there is an article this time 

https://www.footmercato.net/a5361182385904509615-atalanta-des-clubs-anglais-et-italiens-se-battent-pour-teun-koopmeiners

Why? It’s just making extra work for no reason…

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

It's quite noticeable how people don't get excited by players who are playing/have played in the Premier League, but do get excited by those who haven't.

I'd say it depends on the player rather than where he plays but that's me. For people who only watch English football it might be different. 

We covet what we see every day or something.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Price.

Harvey Barnes is a good player. Shown that over 2-3 seasons now. Yet I think it's not unreasonable to think someone in that 30-40m bracket could potentially push us on towards 4th-5th and I'm not sure he'd have the overall impact to do that. Very similar to Buendia who after a very slow start has looked o.k but can see he's not going to drive us up towards CL on his own.