Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

How many squads or first 11s do we think are better than ours?

I don’t care what anyone says: in my view we have the best or most meticulous manager in the league - no huge ego, doesn’t spend millions/billions like an idiot, doesn’t do tantrums and moaning/complaining/bitching, master coach and tactician, supports and uplifts players rather than berate and slate them. Not sure another manager would have done as well and carried out such a quick transformation with the players at his disposal either.

What’s mainly holding us back is possibly inferior players and lesser resources/finances compared to “big/elite teams”… maybe we don’t have quite the home support and atmosphere that other teams do either e.g. Newcastle, it’s a big advantage for clubs like that and I wish we could have VP rocking and being intimidating, being a massive advantage for us, in a similar sense. I think we have better players than them anyway… but they have that and momentum and confidence to help…

Can we “mix it” with Chelsea and Liverpool? We should be better than Spurs… Brighton are always gonna be tough competitors…

Are Arsenal really “that” much better? Man U?

No one will ever catch 115 charges FC and their unlimited funds…

Can we be or are we better than top 7/8?

We’ll still have to deal with corruption n dodgy/biased refs but maybe we can “overpower” those elements through playing such good football…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently, Al Ittihad now ready to pay 200 mill for Salah.

In fairness, I think Liverpool have got to accept that.

Sorry for going off topic.

If they could do that before tomorrow, that would be nice.

• Haha 2

Martinez - world class GK, elite.

Moreno - brilliant attacking LB, fast and skilful. Dangerous.

Pau - fabulous ball playing CB, one of the best on the ball defenders around. Just needs to add some strength/physicality.

Carlos - strong and technical CB, also excellent on the ball. Just wait and see if he can get to his best condition and form again… could be absolutely vital this season.

Konsa - very underrated, dependable and reliable defender who is only improving and getting better on/with the ball. A real stalwart in defence.

McGinn - playing out of his skin, our heartbeat, our leader and captain… when he plays well, we play well and usually dominate and defeat the opposition… energy, drive, determination, tenacity and aggression combined with composure, skill on the ball and prowess in the pass now… more than ever 

Luiz - possibly our best player atm… imperious and majestic. Playmaker, supreme technical skill, composure, pass master… never flustered but also up for the fight.

Kamara - one of the very best young DMs out there with the potential to become even better… calm and composed, still learning, excellent at interceptions and getting us going… class.

Diaby - superb signing, dangerous, fast, intelligent… he’s going to be so good and has already elevated our attack.

Watkins - one of the best CFs in the league, outside of the “elite”, brings so much to the team, tireless, energetic, determined, such work ethic… just needs to continue to improve on his finishing and composure. So important for us.

Zaniolo - Such an exciting signing, huge potential… if everything works out… could be our best and most talented player and become a real hero. Possibly our most technically gifted player, still young and can get better and better…

JJ - what a player and at such a young age, continues to improve, passing is better, superb dribbler/ball carrier, great finisher, a real threat to the opposition. So much potential but already such an important player…

-

I think those are or will be the most key or important players for us. We have depth and good options, some are better than others. Lenglet is a good addition, the only real concern is Olsen but can he improve?

Good attacking options and depth beyond these guys…

Digne has proven to be a great alternative/back up LB.

Cash is doing well.

Tielemans helps our midfield considerably.

Maybe we don’t have quite the depth or strength in the squad that others do but we’re a lot better off than we were… our bench will be better than at any point since we got promoted.

We are genuinely in a good place and able to properly compete… just need things to go well, some good fortune and avoidance of further injuries.

It’s a long way off… but when we bring Ty and Buendia back… we’re only going to be that much better and stronger.

Plenty of reason for positivity and optimism.

Edited by Jas10

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The Guardian gets it

It has been a window to remember. Villa smashed their transfer record to sign Moussa Diaby for a fee north of £50m and the forward, who has pace to burn, has hit the ground running, while Youri Tielemans, Nicolò Zaniolo, Pau Torres and Clément Lenglet arrive with impressive pedigree. Inserting buyback clauses into the sales of highly-regarded academy trio Cameron Archer, Aaron Ramsey and Jaden Philogene has the whiff of an elite operation. Verdict: 5/5 Ben Fisher

Lol was just coming on here to post that. Villa the only side they gave 5/5 to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

I know I’ll be hung for heresy but when we reflect at the end of the season it may be viewed that the injuries to Mings and Buendia helped us in some way. 

Mings was never ever going to get dropped so one of him and Pau was always going to play out of position and not sure if we’d be seeing Pau creating goal after goal in that original shape we played pre season and v Newcastle. No slight on Mings intended. 

Also not sure if we would have bought Zaniolo had Buendia not got injured and quite frankly he looks to have a much higher ceiling than Buendia. 

On Mings I see your point and yes at this stage Mings would be in, but eventually I think Pau would’ve made that left side his own and Mings would be fighting Konsa for the rcb.

Personally think we were always getting another attacker, whether that was Zanilolo or someone else. 

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The Guardian gets it

It has been a window to remember. Villa smashed their transfer record to sign Moussa Diaby for a fee north of £50m and the forward, who has pace to burn, has hit the ground running, while Youri Tielemans, Nicolò Zaniolo, Pau Torres and Clément Lenglet arrive with impressive pedigree. Inserting buyback clauses into the sales of highly-regarded academy trio Cameron Archer, Aaron Ramsey and Jaden Philogene has the whiff of an elite operation. Verdict: 5/5 Ben Fisher

I think that most of us accept that this has been a very good transfer window, particularly given the quality of the players that we have added to our squad and the relatively low cost of bringing them in. That said, I was hoping that we would pull out all of the stops to back UE and do all we possibly could to bring in all of the players that he actually wanted. We may well have tried to do that, only to find that some of those players that he wanted were either not available, didn't want to join us or were priced at a level that we considered excessive.

This window seemed to me, when it opened as one during which we could look to add players, to an already strong squad. We were in a position of strength and needed to push on and early season injuries impacted on our squad numbers/strength. For whatever reason, our spending hasn't matched that of the clubs that we will be looking to compete with at the top end of the table this season. That won't make UE's job any easier this season. We don't want to be trotting out the excuse that the next transfer window, is a difficult time to bring in the right players, we should have the money that could have been spent in this window available to us then, if UE identifies a player or players he then wants. I am still confident we can have an exciting season, but for me this has been a very good window, rather than a great one. We have a better squad this year than last, but those injuries have conspired to hold us back a little and our net transfer spending, looks a tad disappointing, when compared to other clubs. We need to splash the cash in the next two windows and speculate to accumulate.         

Of all the business we’ve done I have to concur with the Guardian of how much the sale with buybacks illustrate where we are as a club now.

Our academy is so strong that we’re able to sell players for significant fees that slot immediately into decent Championship clubs or crappy Premiership clubs. AND that our squad is so strong that these players have no chance of getting decent game time without leaving.

But we also are smart enough to not just dump them, we have the option to buy them back.

We’re absolutely in the top 4 teams in the league in terms of how we manage our business.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

16 minutes ago, John said:

I think that most of us accept that this has been a very good transfer window, particularly given the quality of the players that we have added to our squad and the relatively low cost of bringing them in. That said, I was hoping that we would pull out all of the stops to back UE and do all we possibly could to bring in all of the players that he actually wanted. We may well have tried to do that, only to find that some of those players that he wanted were either not available, didn't want to join us or were priced at a level that we considered excessive.

This window seemed to me, when it opened as one during which we could look to add players, to an already strong squad. We were in a position of strength and needed to push on and early season injuries impacted on our squad numbers/strength. For whatever reason, our spending hasn't matched that of the clubs that we will be looking to compete with at the top end of the table this season. That won't make UE's job any easier this season. We don't want to be trotting out the excuse that the next transfer window, is a difficult time to bring in the right players, we should have the money that could have been spent in this window available to us then, if UE identifies a player or players he then wants. I am still confident we can have an exciting season, but for me this has been a very good window, rather than a great one. We have a better squad this year than last, but those injuries have conspired to hold us back a little and our net transfer spending, looks a tad disappointing, when compared to other clubs. We need to splash the cash in the next two windows and speculate to accumulate.         

In fairness, we don't know that the club hasn't  pulled out all the stops -  it seems Emery unlikely to sign someone if they're  not right, and realistically,  at this point we'd be looking for upgrades on the likes of Bailey,  Buendia and Cash, not an easy  feat and all of those have been important  first steamers and have the potential to improve

• Like 1