Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Would anyone take Iheanacho as back-up / challenge to Ollie?

I think I'd be happy with that but think i've seen on Twitter that Leicester want £20 million for him and I don't see the club spending that on a back-up striker. 

1 minute ago, RichW said:

I think I'd be happy with that but think i've seen on Twitter that Leicester want £20 million for him and I don't see the club spending that on a back-up striker. 

He is the quintessential backup striker though isnt he? Has never been first choice throughout his career but keeps himself sharp enough to be effective when called upon. Maybe not the worst shout

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Would anyone take Iheanacho as back-up / challenge to Ollie?

If there's no one else available that we can get then probably. Purely as cover in the event Ollie is injured though, don't see him pushing Ollie for a starting place. Wouldn't be ideal. May as well have kept Archer.

Edited by PieFacE

9 minutes ago, RichW said:

I think he'd be a positive addition to the squad, won't demand to be automatic starter yet be capable when called upon. Is experienced, but still young, and has a existing understanding with Tielemans. Archer went for 18m, so 20m is not a huge outlay.

Wages may be more of an issue, but there's a lot to be said about a kinda 'unsung hero' if you like. Danny Welbeck regularly starts for a team that finished above us for example.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If there's no one else available that we can get then probably. Purely as cover in the event Ollie is injured though, don't see him pushing Ollie for a starting place. Wouldn't be ideal. May as well have kept Archer.

We should really activate that buy back

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I liked Archer, but Iheanacho has 6 years of regular Premier League experience under his belt, as well as nearly 50 international caps. They're in very different stages of their career and, right now, Iheanacho is the better player. Archer may become a better and more reliable player in due course, but asked to pick out of the two this season, I would pick Iheanacho all day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Just noticed that the Window closes at 11pm on Friday September 1st rather than the usual 11pm on 31st August 

When did that change? 

It was the same date last summer window

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Reminder: We had just 8 subs against Burnley including one (utility) defender and 2 youth goalkeepers. Yes, we 'll get a couple back from injury in a month or 2 but its nowhere near enough.

We should get three back from injury for the Palace game. We then have more for a full bench + kids to get some minutes against the really poor teams that we will play in the conference. 

The club have shown a lot of faith in Duran…. Maybe we should as well. And then we have Zaniolo, Diaby and Bailey to cover in a pinch as well. 

Adequate cover for Watkins is going to come for a big fee. The club is clearly going to wait until one of the right players that they have identified becomes available. Maybe they come available this window or we have to wait until January. 

Or we could get a next to useless body in like a weghorst on loan to stop everyone panicking. 

• Like 1

Just now, paul514 said:
21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sure but he's on 90k and Ollie has said he wants to play every minute of every comp and he should

No way should Watkins play 50 odd games for 90 mins this season, that would be incredibly stupid

Plus we shouldn’t want him to.  Even if he doesn’t have injuries, he’s going to have dips in form, be ineffective against some teams and will get tired playing twice a week for 9 months so will lose a bit of sharpness

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I liked Archer, but Iheanacho has 6 years of regular Premier League experience under his belt, as well as nearly 50 international caps. They're in very different stages of their career and, right now, Iheanacho is the better player. Archer may become a better and more reliable player in due course, but asked to pick out of the two this season, I would pick Iheanacho all day. 

Yeah fair opinion. Not sure I rate him as highly as you. Though, who knows what Unai could do with him. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah fair opinion. Not sure I rate him as highly as you. Though, who knows what Unai could do with him. 

Yeah, I wouldn't say he'd be anywhere near a dream signing, but it's always difficult trying to get quality into the squad when you have such a important player ahead of you in the queue. I'm thinking along the lines of a player that can score goals in the PL, would probably back himself to challenge Ollie, is young enough to play a high-intensity game, but also won't kick up a fuss when coming off the bench. 

Would definitely benefit from being coached by Unai too. 

Not many spring to mind.