Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Never believed in him in the first place….. so 🤷‍♂️

Curious as to why considering he joined us after just turning 19. Already an international at that point for one of South America’s better teams and already physically ready for the league. 

As a point of reference at a similar age Jack was on loan at Notts County. I’m not saying he’s going to be on jack’s level but just to say there is a lot of time to work on him realising his potential …. Which could be amazing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RicRic said:

I agree with this and im still far from comfortable with Olsen as backup yes played ok overall against burnley but ive seen enough to know i will be nervous if he played a handful of games..just to clarify if we have Lenglet and Zaniolo on loan does that mean we have no more loan spaces, so unless we chuck 40 or 50 million then we wont be able to sign a new delightful attacker AND we should have tried to snap up Matheus Nunes before Man City did 

I agree on Olsen, but I would start him against Hibs. A few games where he does well, will help his confidence. Players need games to find their form. Thought Olsen was decent on Sunday.

We just can't loan from Barca, and Galatasary.

It's really only experienced backup for Watkins we are really lacking. We've say 3 + Duran atm - Watkins, Zaniolo, Diaby

JJ/Coutinho, Luiz/Tielemans, Kamara/Donk, Bailey/McGinn/Traore

We've 8 defenders once we sign Lenglet.

So even if Coutinho is sold we've two for every position if McGinn is option for LM after recent performances. Cash is option for RM, Zaniolo and Diaby for either side.

Ideally we get a LM in but we've Buendia to come back too. We'd need a top LM if we were to sign one.

I think it's really just Striker back up we need. If the player we need isn't available then we don't sign anyone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's really only experienced backup for Watkins we are really lacking. We've say 3 + Duran atm - Watkins, Zaniolo, Diaby

JJ/Coutinho, Luiz/Tielemans, Kamara/Donk, Bailey/McGinn/Traore

We've 8 defenders once we sign Lenglet.

So even if Coutinho is sold we've two for every position if McGinn is option for LM after recent performances. Cash is option for RM, Zaniolo and Diaby for either side.

Ideally we get a LM in but we've Buendia to come back too. We'd need a top LM if we were to sign one.

I think it's really just Striker back up we need. If the player we need isn't available then we don't sign anyone. 

Or we try and sign a right footed player who likes to play as an left sided attacker and has an eye for goal.  Which would mean that if Ollie is out we could still play a front 3 of <<new player>>, Zaniolo and Diaby - we might lose an element of Ollie's pressing CF skills but there'd still be plenty of goals in that line-up.  But the real advantage is that we could also play <<new player>>, Ollie and Diaby (or Zaniolo) without having to make a massive change to our shape or tactics.  That way we cover off two positions in the same way that Diaby covers RW and SS and Zaniolo does the same (but in a different) way.  It also means that when Ramsey comes back we have different options for different game plans on the left.

All of which is (I think) preferable to having someone who can only really come on if / when Ollie isn't on the pitch.  Firstly because it gives Emery more options in terms of different formations for different teams and secondly because signing a first choice left-sided attacker is likely to mean we get a better player than signing someone who is happy to be Ollie's backup.  The key is that we should be expecting the likes of Diaby, Zaniolo and <<new player>> to be aiming to get close to 10 goals a season (as opposed to having our non-CF attackers scoring 4 or 5) - which considerably reduces the dependence on the CF position in terms of our overall goal threat.  We've also already seen (against Everton and Hibs) that a front line of players comfortable playing in different roles has been really effective - when Ollie drifts wide, then Diaby (or sometimes Bailey) went central, Diaby and Bailey swapped position several times, sometimes we had all three attackers on the right side of the pitch leaving huge gaps for McGinn and Digne to exploit.  Ollie fits that model because he's not an out-and-out CF and can play wider too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, allani said:

Or we try and sign a right footed player who likes to play as an left sided attacker and has an eye for goal.  Which would mean that if Ollie is out we could still play a front 3 of <<new player>>, Zaniolo and Diaby - we might lose an element of Ollie's pressing CF skills but there'd still be plenty of goals in that line-up.  But the real advantage is that we could also play <<new player>>, Ollie and Diaby (or Zaniolo) without having to make a massive change to our shape or tactics.  That way we cover off two positions in the same way that Diaby covers RW and SS and Zaniolo does the same (but in a different) way.  It also means that when Ramsey comes back we have different options for different game plans on the left.

All of which is (I think) preferable to having someone who can only really come on if / when Ollie isn't on the pitch.  Firstly because it gives Emery more options in terms of different formations for different teams and secondly because signing a first choice left-sided attacker is likely to mean we get a better player than signing someone who is happy to be Ollie's backup.  The key is that we should be expecting the likes of Diaby, Zaniolo and <<new player>> to be aiming to get close to 10 goals a season (as opposed to having our non-CF attackers scoring 4 or 5) - which considerably reduces the dependence on the CF position in terms of our overall goal threat.  We've also already seen (against Everton and Hibs) that a front line of players comfortable playing in different roles has been really effective - when Ollie drifts wide, then Diaby (or sometimes Bailey) went central, Diaby and Bailey swapped position several times, sometimes we had all three attackers on the right side of the pitch leaving huge gaps for McGinn and Digne to exploit.  Ollie fits that model because he's not an out-and-out CF and can play wider too.

This all makes sense, especially with Buendia out. But given how good McGinn has been inside left (with Ramsey also nearing return) and how effective Cash was wide right,  I wouldn't be completely surprised if it were a right footed right winger (who can also cover left) that we are looking for

24 minutes ago, allani said:

We have never played 4 3 3 so this idea of 3 forwards up top isn't a formation we have played at any point under Emery. 

If we play Watkins Diaby and Zaniolo on same team it would likely be Watkins and Zaniolo up top with Zaniolo dropping off as a 10 and Diaby playing RM as a winger. The left side would have LB as other winger and LM as the other 10. 

Everything Emery has done here has had two 10s a Striker and width almost always involving LB as the left most winger. So never is there a LM who operates as a winger like we do RM. So a Watkins injury wouldn't impact left side of attack basically 

Fati going to Brighton to play with Danny Welback and James Milner is a real kick in the nuts even if they do play good football and have a few wonderkids. Would have thought he'd come to us or Spurs but oh well. Maybe we weren't really interested in him. 

It’s not really the right word but… I kind of find it hilarious or amusing to see where we are now (and most of all the manager we have) after the hell we went through with dire managers and dire players 😂 

It makes me chuckle with shock, if that makes sense, but it’s so pleasing and delighting… sooo delightful and I feel so appreciative and excited…

I know there are clubs and fans that have been through worse but… considering the fact that we were relatively successful for a long while and pretty much an established top 6 team… followed by some ups n downs…. the decline was harsh and severe…

For a club of our stature and reputation… it was painful and difficult…

We were a complete embarrassment ahead of eventually being relegated… how did we put up with that???

Toiling away in the Championship, wasting millions and millions, playing shit football, employing shit managers, signing shit players… embarrassing!!

The dodgy doctor 🤦‍♂️

Then NSWE arrived and brought Dean in… I’ll always be grateful…

But things went quite badly in the end and “one of our own” (ha! Yeah right! Mings and McGinn have achieved much higher status n admiration) stabbed us in the back…

A horrible “stumble” with the egotistical Scouse clown…

Nassef had enough and brought in the messiah… King Unai…

What an amazing and lovable group of players we have now too 😂

Absolutely wonderful… how did this happen? 😂

spacer.png

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Fati going to Brighton to play with Danny Welback and James Milner is a real kick in the nuts even if they do play good football and have a few wonderkids. Would have thought he'd come to us or Spurs but oh well. Maybe we weren't really interested in him. 

If we didn't sign someone we weren't interested. Simples. Sleep easy

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

One of our most busiest, active and successful transfer windows that I can remember and an influx of world class talent coming through the door, but yet we have some proper misrable bastards still lurking on the forum counting down the remaining days of the window and hoping we don't sign any more players.

Pathetic comments like "that's us done then" or "I can't see anymore arriving now" & "people are going to be on for a huge disappointment if they're expecting more signings" 

- even when it's evident we were still short on numbers and the club confirming we're still active in looking to add to the squad.

Some people need to cheer the f*** up and stop being so negative and flippant!

I genuinely think we're a victim of being organised and prepared in our transfer activity.

Had we brought in Tielemans and Torres, but done deadline day deals for Zaniolo and Diaby, those same people would be ecstatic.  

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If we didn't sign someone we weren't interested. Simples. Sleep easy

Excuse me, this is the summer transfer window thread. It's not for poo pooing discussion. Please leave.

Edited by Leeroy

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

WTAF? Basket case of a club…

So glad we operate completely differently, no one going over Unai’s head…

I think one of my favourite things so far in this window, other than us signing Diaby, is when Pochettino was asked how Malang Sarr was recovering from injury and he had no idea who Sarr was.

In terms of our business, we are down to the last 36 hours and I'm pretty confident that Emery knows every player in every squad at our club, and will have final say on any transfers that may happen between now and then.

Exciting.