Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Might be totally wrong here...

Its a spanish rule that they have to have them so it's not reflective of their value it's just some guff they have to put in

I also think there is some rough tie to wages so for example if you pay someone £1,000 a week the buy out can't be £1bn, there's some sort of protection from being underpaid

The release clause can also only be triggered by the player so the player usually gets the money from the club if they want him.

Fornals had to do this to move to Villarreal

14 minutes ago, burchy said:

How are we looking with regards to HG players though?

If we include Mings, we’ve got Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Chambers, Watkins, J Ramsey (is he still classed as an U21?)

Iroegbunam (if he stays) and Revan. Can't think of anyone else other than the likes of Feeney and Kellyman who are presumably too young to be counted.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Apparently the journalist that has linked us to Fati is quite reliable, Monchi and Fati were at Sevilla together

Wasn’t Fati about 8 at the time? 

Iroegbunam and Revan have both only just turned twenty so wouldn't have to be included in the squad, Ramsey has turned twenty-two now so has to be included.

Revan needs a loan, he didn't have one last season, and the season before that he was in the National League before dropping to the National League North, he's in a similar situation now to what the likes of Raikhy, Brad Young, and Lindley were in this time last year, very capable players, but need to show something at first team level, even if in the lower leagues, otherwise going to be released by us, and might fight it difficult to find a new team.

I don't know if they can count towards any of the home grown quota things, but I think with all the older academy players we're selling, that might open up more of an opportunity for the likes of Kellyman, Young, Patterson, and Feeney to get some first team minutes off the bench in cup games.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, useless said:

That might open up more of an opportunity for the likes of Kellyman, Young, Patterson, and Feeney to get some first team minutes off the bench in cup games.

If we don't see some of these play in the 2nd leg of the Hibs tie, then I'll be a bit disappointed. Hibs are probably League One standard, so it'll be a good barometer to see where those kids are at. 5-0 up against a team who aren't going to trouble us too much - it's about as perfect an opportunity as we'll get to test them with no real risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently the journalist that has linked us to Fati is quite reliable, Monchi and Fati were at Sevilla together

I would hope we're not going off anything Monchi saw and impressed him 10 years ago. Especially when Fati was 9 years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Ivan Fresneda and Brennan Johnson, any other signings will depend on outgoings, maybe we will sign another striker regardless as not sure if Johnson could play Watkins role he doesn't strike me as that type of player, but then again Watkins didn't strike me as the type of striker that he became when he was playing as a winger, and will also depend on how much we trust Duran at this early stage of his development, maybe Johnson would be enough and he obviously can play various other postions.

Fence sitter.

Is it just me or has villareport become a much worse aggregator in the past few months? The style has changed (different person running the account?) and now stuff is being quoted from extremely dubious sources: El Nacional are absolute bullshitters, the Spanish Football Insider (honestly worse). It's a bit annoying because they used to be pretty much the only Villa news aggregator who didn't post any old crap from absolutely garbage sources for interactions.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

According to Wikipedia (great source, I know), Fati played for Sevilla between 2010 - 2012 so unless Monchi was creeping around the kids club I can’t believe there’s any connection whatsoever

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Is it just me or has villareport become a much worse aggregator in the past few months? The style has changed (different person running the account?) and now stuff is being quoted from extremely dubious sources: El Nacional are absolute bullshitters, the Spanish Football Insider (honestly worse). It's a bit annoying because they used to be pretty much the only Villa news aggregator who didn't post any old crap from absolutely garbage sources for interactions.

Still the best for me. By a long way. The others all seem utter clearings in the woods.

Don't recall report doing too much filtering before. We were probably not mentioned as much in foreign press before Unai.

• Like 1

If Fati was highly rated as a ten year old or however old he was then Monchi probably would probably have been well aware of him and how good he was, just like at our club Monchi and Lange will be aware of any particulary highly rated players through the age groups, as they can be worth millions one day, and would have also probably followed his progress since signing for Barcelona too.

8 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Alonso would be genuinely amazing in our system. Chelsea probably should've played him as CF instead of wasting endless amounts, some of the goals he scored for them were Van Basten type technique.

If we're looking for another experienced player at the back he probably makes more sense than Acuna.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Still the best for me. By a long way. The others all seem utter clearings in the woods.

Don't recall report doing too much filtering before. We were probably not mentioned as much in foreign press before Unai.

I felt that they definitely used to filter: at the very least they avoided posting sources from known liars (unlike the others), and pretty much posted from sources with a degree of reliability (e.g. largely avoiding Italian media). Do agree that they're still the best of the bunch, although more-so due to the state of the competition... How many Twitter aggregators does a football club need ffs? Must be at least six at this point

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think we’re going to go wild and be reckless… nothing like a further 100m as you have put down.

But, I do feel that one high quality attacker or “big/statement signing” will be attempted or signed… 

Maybe anywhere between 30-50m (similar to Diaby) and we could spend much smaller fees and maybe even a loan deal or two to help bolster the squad and ensure that we have that cover and competition. E.g. fullback areas.

And we can factor in the recent sales and negotiations for outgoing players… not all of which we are privy to. We have no idea what is going on “behind the scenes”…

Once again, I’m going to have to repeat what Unai and Monchi have said… here goes:

Unai:

* Want and need a strong squad, with two players vying for a each position throughout the team.

* We want to be competitive on all fronts and will need “a lot of players”.

* We are watching the market right up until the deadline and will be ready to make a move (possibly for an important or star player) toward the end of the window.

Monchi:

* We have greater capacity and resources to act in the market than any club he has previously worked at, but we can’t go “crazy”.

* Wants to give Unai the strongest possible squad for the season.

* More players will arrive 😊 

I don’t think we are crazy limited or hindered… it’s more about identifying the right players, being patient, negotiating well… and so on.

Now that we have all but secured ECL qualification… that may give us more encouragement and urgency in completing further activity…

Unai’s ambition is considerable… he wants CL qualification asap, he wants to win a trophy… we need a stronger squad and side to achieve that. It’s why we brought Monchi in too, to help with this…

I like your optimism and wished I shared it. Since those quotes we have signed Zanoilo and, as I’ve said, I’m sure we will be looking at a forward player once Archer is confirmed and also a defender RB/CB. It is the cost of these new additions where I differ to a few others on here. I reckon a £10M-£15M permanent signing and then a loan with buy option will see us done. 

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Brentford's owner has popped onto their forum this evening and told them they're signing someone. All getting very excited.

Probably Brennan Johnson, which would be a shame.

Hopefully it's really a £30m deal for Kourtney Hause.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

100% changed around the time Gregg Evans and Ashley Preece moved on from covering Villa. Now started putting exclamations on the end of things and acting much more like a fan account than v neutral/fact based.

• Like 1