Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

If we want Johnson then I think we would have a good chance, in general players are still going to see Chelsea as the more attractive club to play for one bad season for them and one good season for us doesn't change that, but he would be pretty much a starter in our team, get much more minutes, and more I think about it the more he makes sense for us, can play either winger, as a ten, or even as a striker, him being a little more local to us might help our chances too - that's even if we want him, we might not of couse.

I've never been a fan of transfer season but this has been the least enjoyable in memory. I enjoy the discussion based on players and tactics but the constant financial speculation and accounting talk isn't what I enjoy about football, and it seems now its taken a front seat as opposed to being a background consideration.

• Like 3

That’s annoying as I really wanted us to go for Johnson.

Nevermind.

Acuna and Zaniolo, then we’ve got a couple of weeks for Emery to complete his squad for the season.

Hopefully that involves selling 4-5 players as well as the squad is too big.

8 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I've never been a fan of transfer season but this has been the least enjoyable in memory. I enjoy the discussion based on players and tactics but the constant financial speculation and accounting talk isn't what I enjoy about football, and it seems now its taken a front seat as opposed to being a background consideration.

I hear you. Just skip past the armchair financial talk like I do. The club are minging with finance experts and know what they're doing. I don't care how they make it work, I just trust they will. Its the end results I'm interested in.
Who we sign

That said, there's a lot to modern football and if some folk delight in talking finances, go for it. To me its like the dudes that mark their own scorecards at test matches when there's two **** off ones left and right of them. But if it feels good, do it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

Totally agree. I happen to quite like transfer season, it’s good fun speculating and waiting til we sign someone and stuff, but I do hate the bean counting that FFP has brought in

• Like 1

This thread (and forum) is for Aston Villa, not Other club transfer stuff - there's a thread in the "Other Football" forum for that.

Please use the right thread and stay on topic.

posts moved and this thread unlocked 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I personally think we are going to really struggle defensively with Mings out. We are severely lacking aerially now and against the big teams we are going to get found out I fear. For me we desperately need a new, aerially dominant defender, even if on loan for the season.

I see Torres as a brilliant, intelligent player technically, though aerially he's just "Ok". Both Konsa & Chambers are not the strongest aerially either & as for Carlos he's still not quite right and appears to have lost some of his spring aerially since the injury. So Mings was by a country mile our best defence against the aerial threat. We surely have to get someone in? Teams will totally be targetting us with loads of high balls into the box and balls over the top now. 

A huge challenge for Emery to resolve this now.

Thing is who on Earth could we get in? 

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It isn't just the aerial threat but the organisation as well. The system requires precision execution of the offside trap and without the leadership it might not be as effective. That's compounded by the offside rule changes to favour attackers more, so VAR is less likely to overrule goals for us. 

I agree with the above, we also need someone with a bit of pace and who will have the respect of those around him. I think this is now our number one priority. Who can we get on loan or permanently though, whether or not we are prepared to push the boat out for the right player?:detect: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned - but I think we should look at Harry Maguire, especially if we could get him on a season long loan with an option to buy….

You think we should loan an inferior player to those we have at the club already? Why would we do that? 

26 minutes ago, Tayls said:

You think we should loan an inferior player to those we have at the club already? Why would we do that? 

I don’t think he’s finished yet, he just needs a fresh start IMO. He plays as a left sided centre back so would fit as short term cover for Mings at least. He’s also a leader, even if he’s gone off the boil (being kind).

I’m not suggesting he play ahead of Torres, or that we build the team around him, but I also don’t think we can really rely on Konsa and 2 guys with no premier league experience to get us through this season.

Maguire would have been solid buy for West Ham if they could have got it over the line, and I think he would be the same for us under Emery.

• Like 1

We've already got Konsa, Carlose, Pau, Chambers, and Dendoncker, and even Kamara, plus Feeney if the right chance presents itself, so I don't think we will be signing another defender, we were already pushing it as it was when Mings was fit, hence the rumours of Carlos leaving, only way I could see us signing another defender is if we're worried that Carlos might not be as good after his injury.

And bearing in mind we're already going to be signing a left-back, a right-back, Zaniolo, an addtional attacker, and another central midfielder hasn't been ruled out, so we're going to be busy enough as it is, central defender probably going to be low on the priorities.