Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have their been any rumours or hints at a " big name " signing in the works, or have we just started the murmurings among ourselves?

What have i missed?

Not really murmurings from what I can see but I’m guessing it’ll be from a list of players we’ve been linked with: Felix/Ferran (don’t think it’s likely because he was given the number 7 for this seasons)/Chiesa/other name.

Weren’t there some links with Sancho recently too? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

What we do about strengthening up front is the most intriguing thing for me at the moment.

We are so thin on the striker front. 1 proven senior striker is absolutely absurd, especially when we're facing potentially the longest season we'll have faced in over a decade. Someone needs to be in there that can take some of the burden off Watkins, or give us options when he's struggling in a match. It's unlikely that will be a huge signing so there's particular intrigue for me about the kind of clever, value, signing we could get to fill that gap.

I think it’ll be between Zaniolo and Diaby to cover his position when he’s rested, injured, suspended etc…

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why are sky reporting higher numbers than everyone else?

lcimg-87348ca7-d096-40a4-a2d7-00480f674939.jpeg

transfermarket are reporting £75m, not sure what they're trying to achieve

I thought the exact same as you when I heard their figures at the weekend

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have their been any rumours or hints at a " big name " signing in the works, or have we just started the murmurings among ourselves?

What have i missed?

Na, the only real link today is to the LB Acuna and Zaniolo deal seems done, arriving tomorrow.

Who knows what else the club have in store? Keeping things “close to the chest” I would imagine…

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Literally every season people go into the last week thinking the REALLY big signing is still to happen. And it basically never does. Who was the last big name player we picked up in the last week of a window?

Benteke?

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

Benteke?

He wasn’t considered one at the time, fairly obscure, but definitely turned out to be one…

When did we sign Carew (and Young at the same time)? Sometime during a Jan window?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Just now, pintpotvilla said:

Benteke?

Mmmm wasnt exactly a big name when we signed him. Nobody had ever heard of him and even the fans from his own club in Belgium were saying he was too raw and not ready for PL. They were very wrong happily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Mmmm wasnt exactly a big name when we signed him. Nobody had ever heard of him and even the fans from his own club in Belgium were saying he was too raw and not ready for PL. They were very wrong happily. 

Fair enough, I remember I had heard of him though and was really excited that we got him

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He was starting games for the Belgium national side so hardly a unknown quantity.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

why are sky reporting higher numbers than everyone else?

lcimg-87348ca7-d096-40a4-a2d7-00480f674939.jpeg

transfermarket are reporting £75m, not sure what they're trying to achieve

If they bump up everyone‘s spending then it makes the financial shite that Chelsea are doing look slightly better.

I’m surprised they didn’t try to put a price next to Tielemans.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Oh I would love that… I really hope we’ve still got an even bigger signing! 

It wouldn't suprise me to learn that the club could be attempting something 'bigger' before the window is closed.

Might depend on whether we can get another one or two out the door first though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If they bump up everyone‘s spending then it makes the financial shite that Chelsea are doing look slightly better.

I’m surprised they didn’t try to put a price next to Tielemans.

It does day " Fees include potential add ons " at the bottom in fairness.

• Like 1

Benteke absolutely was not a "big" signing. The fee we paid (£7m according to Wiki) was fairly hefty for us back then but most had never heard of him before. Just because he turned out amazing doesn't mean he was a big signing at the time.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Because Chelsea have factored into their business plan, fines from PL and other football authorities.  They are obviously sweeping up as much talent as possible, which at first was offset by the sales they have done but between the massive incoming transfer fees and associated costs and the limitation of any new contracts limited to 5 years for FFP despite contract length, Chelsea know they have gone through FFP limits so are going all in now, get all the talent they can, accelerate their strategy for the club, suffer the fine(s) which don’t seem that big in comparison these days and end up with a gifted, talented squad comparable to any squad in the world.  I’d be surprised if Caicedo, Lavia and Olise are the last of their incomings, there will be more.

You can only hope that their brazenness leads to the league/UEFA growing some bollocks and actually implementing meaningful penalties for Chelsea to stop others from thinking its doable. 

Alas, they're all corrupt and nothing will happen other than a measly £15m fine or something. 

• Like 1