Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Theres been a few vague links to a young spanish left back and also a few vague links to digne being sold.

There's been a few links to doku and a couple other 'magic moment' players and vague links to big phil leaving.

2 of our highest earners and both 30 ish.

Both have been in good form pre season.

Has that helped us ? Puts them in the shop window to show they still have it, but also shown they can still do a job for us.

From an instant usefulness to the squad prospective they should stay, but from a FFP and sign 2 younger cheaper wages replacements point of view and a 'this is our last chance to get half decent money for both players if the Arabs come a calling' point of view it becomes a tougher call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

Part of us being the lowest spenders is we arguably made the best free transfer of the summer

Should be applauded, we made 3 great signings at great value

Best free transfers two summers in a row 😉

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

Once Brighton sign Kudus we will be the lowest spenders out of last season's top 8.

Which is impressing rather than the other way round. 
To start improving and bridging the gaps while spending less, that gives us more space to check our needs to upgrade even more next summer. 

Would be nice if we could get our net spend down a bit further by selling a couple players (preferably not Ramsey). And then maybe get someone else in.

Brighton as they were mentioned above have a net spend of about £5m and once Caicedo bitches his way into a move they will have made something like £35m-£40m in profit even after they sign Kudus.

I'm all for us spending money but having spent a lot of it is not a sign in itself of having had a good window imo.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be nice if we could get our net spend down a bit further by selling a couple players (preferably not Ramsey). And then maybe get someone else in.

Brighton as they were mentioned above have a net spend of about £5m and once Caicedo bitches his way into a move they will have made something like £35m-£40m in profit even after they sign Kudus.

I'm all for us spending money but having spent a lot of it is not a sign in itself of having had a good window imo.

Brighton sell their best players though.  Sometimes we try not to do anymore.

I know what you are saying though. We could do with getting rid of a few fringe players like Traore and Dendonker although doubt they will bring in much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton sell their best players though.  Sometimes we try not to do anymore.

I know what you are saying though. We could do with getting rid of a few fringe players like Traore and Dendonker although doubt they will bring in much. 

Yeah I don't want us to be like Brighton and be forced to sell our top players. It's the expensive fringe players I'd look to sell under the right circumstances. 

• Like 1

I think the big spending clubs know to get a top player out of Villa or Newcastle or Spurs will take a lot of money and a lot of effort. Even look at Chelsea trying to buy from Brighton 2 summers in a row. They will over pay in the end for Caicedo like they did Cucurella.

The advantage we have over these teams is they are striving to win the League so they don't want players they know are just below that level. They are willing to pay very high prices for potential and younger talent. This can leave gaps for system teams with stability and constant progression (like us). We just need a couple of the top teams to make mistakes and drop off in their constant attempt to win the League. We are there to take advantage of those situations.

Edited by CVByrne

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don’t know if we’ll get Felix or Torres. Both sound like they don’t want to come her for different reasons, so probably better we look elsewhere.

I can see a late move for Brennan Johnson personally.

Now we've got our number one targets in, he feels the right profile for that sort of squad player who could develop as season goes on.

Let's see how often he plays for Forest as he wasn't actually starting games for them in last month of last season and they have signed Elanga since.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Don’t know if we’ll get Felix or Torres. Both sound like they don’t want to come her for different reasons, so probably better we look elsewhere.

well if they don't want to come after the Lazio and Valencia games, I can't help them....its surely not for footballing reasons.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

well if they don't want to come after the Lazio and Valencia games, I can't help them....its surely not for footballing reasons.