Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t mind the others, while very expensive at £105m, Rice will be the mainstay of their midfield for the next 10 years and a leader in the middle.  I know don’t think he’s that elite, I do.  Plus it stops close rivals getting him.

Timber is a really good player, again they’ve overpaid but but purely on talent I think Rice and Timber will really enhance Arsenal.  

Havertz I’ve got no clue, I don’t think he’s that great anyway but I don’t know where he fits or what he offers them and I’m not convinced he’s the right style for them.

I just don’t think think it’s smart business, Our strategy in the transfer market is highly satisfying we are buying quality for reasonable/low fees whilst other teams just splash the cash on names. Rice as you say will be a mainstay of their midfield for the best part of a decade but I’m certain they could have found a player of similar quality for half the value. It’s a dangerous game every team will see Arsenal coming now and over value the player they are targeting.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If were not bringing in another striker better pray that Watkins doesnt pick up any long term injuries.

What we going to do rely on Archer/Duran?

I don't think you can plan for a season thinking someone will get injured. I am convinced Archer is good enough to get game time this season and may well end up pushing Watkins for

a starting spot at some point. Also Emery seems to like multi positional players so if we do make another forward signing it may be someone who could play wide or up front

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

We had a price agreed with Watford around the 25m mark, so it's not an accurate comparison. 

It was reported at over that figure with adds on a deal 40m

Diaby isbeing g reported at 35m so i dont think thats true

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It was reported at over that figure with adds on a deal 40m

Diaby isbeing g reported at 35m so i dont think thats true

You won't convince me with this! There is at least 10m between both deals without addons and those for Diaby come to another 8m, which is a larger value than the ones for Sarr. 

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t think we’ll sign a striker 

I think Diaby is the guy we signed to play as a secondary striker - that's what it sounded like Emery was getting at in the presser. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think Diaby is the guy we signed to play as a secondary striker - that's what it sounded like Emery was getting at in the presser. 

To me the Secondary Striker role is specific in that the player is one of the two up top in our 4 4 2 defensive shape. But when we are in our attacking shape the player drops deep from the front line to try drag CBs out of position. So he will form one of the two 10s in our box midfield shape. The idea being the player is creative, can lay off the ball pick a pass and then arrive back in the box later to finish off a chance.

Diaby to me is one of the two up top but he will play as a wide right forward in our build up 3 2 2 3 and not drop deep to form one of the two 10s. 

Felix or Torres are more the second striker mould I'm talking about.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You won't convince me with this! There is at least 10m between both deals without addons and those for Diaby come to another 8m, which is a larger value than the ones for Sarr. 

You think 10m is a lot these days ? Its peanuts today.  Maybe in the 90s it waa a significant amount but no now days

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Agreed - second striker who also runs out wide, like Bailey when he plays there. 

Sounds like defensive workrate isn't his strong point so we'd be playing a pretty attacking / open way if it was him wide + another up top. 

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I suppose we are banking on Watkins playing 40+ games and not getting injured or suspended.

Duran and Archer unproven at the level.

I mean, it's a pretty safe assumption 

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I suppose we are banking on Watkins playing 40+ games and not getting injured or suspended.

Duran and Archer unproven at the level.

And how do you propose they get proven at this level without giving them the chance? We're not going to loan to a PL team. 

If the coaching team think they are ready/good enough then that's fine by me. 

• Like 3

I remember watching Foden at the League Cup final and didn’t know anything about him. Weeks or months later he was England regular.

It’s about the chance, sometimes players get good luck showing what they can. Davis for example has a chance to play the other year in the League Cup, and some minutes, he got injured before Wesley, otherwise he could’ve started some games. He didn’t have a proper run. Wesley himself could’ve had an ok career if not injured.

So Archer and Duran need to have game time. So Torres look the most perfect signing just because of this, but I would like Doku as he’s a good player to have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I remember watching Foden at the League Cup final and didn’t know anything about him. Weeks or months later he was England regular.

It’s about the chance, sometimes players get good luck showing what they can. Davis for example has a chance to play the other year in the League Cup, and some minutes, he got injured before Wesley, otherwise he could’ve started some games. He didn’t have a proper run. Wesley himself could’ve had an ok career if not injured.

So Archer and Duran need to have game time. So Torres look the most perfect signing just because of this, but I would like Doku as he’s a good player to have.

I suppose the point here would be: When Foden got that chance and made his name, was his position within the City squad such that he was 1 injury away from being the only player who could play in his role. The answer being no.

Fwiw, I think Diaby will help us in that regard. He could do a job for us up front I reckon.

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You think 10m is a lot these days ? Its peanuts today.  Maybe in the 90s it waa a significant amount but no now days

Was alot 4-5 years ago when we spent it on that useless mccormick tit

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I suppose the point here would be: When Foden got that chance and made his name, was his position within the City squad such that he was 1 injury away from being the only player who could play in his role. The answer being no.

Fwiw, I think Diaby will help us in that regard. He could do a job for us up front I reckon.

I don’t think he can. Definitely not better than Archer in that aspect. Regarding Man City, their squad is good yet they give proper chances. I’d pretty much go with Archer as a second striker than getting the likes of Rodrigo. Our striker should be one that would overtake Watkins and that could/shouldn’t be done this summer. Torres is the most sensible signing as he could be relied at as a striker while his main position is different. 
I want Doku, but he’s not the wisest signijg, but a gamble which if we don’t take we might never get him. Would I be happy with Doku and Archer as a second striker? Yes, but would require keeping Duran as well. 
Getting Doku and Torres on loan? Perfect.

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

If were not bringing in another striker better pray that Watkins doesnt pick up any long term injuries.

Do this for other teams. Haaland Kane etc etc

4 hours ago, AshVilla said:

After watching Diabys highlights I now wa t to sign Frimpong as well 

Devils advocate... Watkins was brought in by Deano as he wanted a striker who could run the channels and go across the front line. 

Emery has told Watkins he wants a striker to stay between the 18 yard box. Primarily as a finisher. This role seems to suit Archer more than Watkins - there's no question who the better finisher is.

I'm really interested to see how this position is selected through the season.