Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

We are shopping at such a new level that I fully expect a striker of Vlahovic's calibre - the timing is surely right for them to see the project taking shape and the talent they will rub shoulders with. This is so far the absolute perfect window, it'll continue. 

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

What has happened to the links to players like Guendouzi who can play a more defensive midfield role? I thought that was an area we intended to strengthen.

There was one link to a young (21) DM/CM at Barca called Nico Gonzalez, who just had a breakout season on loan at Valencia. Looks a decent player. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Ignoring Vlahovic for the moment, I think it’s of massive value to buy another striker.  Whether you disagree with another striker in their prime is another discussion but I certainly think another option to Watkins is needed for this season more than whatever happens to Archer and Duran.  Emery seems to feel the same way from his comments.  As for who that player could be is a separate discussion and I’m open to suggestions.

No bang for your buck is what I meant. But also there isn't that much value to be had. Archer was one of the top players in the championship last season so the only value we can gain is in like 1/3 the games because ollie will be playing in the others and only the amount better than Archer the striker we sign is. To sign a striker better than Archer we'd have to spend 35-50 million. There just isn't enough value you can extract. 

• Like 1

To be honest Tielemans, Diaby and Pau is already getting on for the best window we’ve had… since god knows when, but if we add a striker and back up keeper… **** me sideways 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 4

How many games I wonder before someone makes a comment that Diaby is a waste of money? Wingers are notoriously inconsistent and as we have seen with other players coming from the Bundesliga, it can be quite a challenge acclimatising to the Premier league. 

Bailey is a good example, yes he's had some poor games but he has also looked great in others, yet the general consensus is, he's useless. I think the appointment of Diaby will be extra motivation for Bailey to add more consistency to his game. It's great competition for those wide attacking places and it will be interesting who has the desire to step up.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Could be. Emery was certainly being lauded to the point where they started questioning Arsenal's decision to sack him. Fwiw, I think top 4 is certainly achievable, but the forward department is a slight concern. Still, would absolutely love to see Archer step up to this level. Remember that header he scored against Chelsea in the League cup? That confirms, for me, that the potential is certainly there, and who better than this coaching set - up to tap into it.

god I loved that goal. t'was a thing of beauty

Honestly if we had just bought Archer from Middlesborough after the season he had I would be incredibly excited. Want him to get game time and succeed nearly more that any player at the club lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I know most are shit scared of Olsen, but a backup keeper, legit isn't one of my priorities.

I reckon this is more of an if an opportunity comes, more than an emergency.

I will be a bit scared if Emi gets injured, suspended, needs resting etc. and we are forced to rely on Olsen for a run of games…

I don’t think anyone is expecting Emi to play every game either so I won’t labour that point… it’s best if we can keep most, if not all, of our players fresh and fit though…

I’d feel so much better and more confident about the season if we managed to address this and don’t need to play that bag of nerves very much at all…

A back up keeper who doesn’t bring anxiety into the team/defence, can kick and pass the ball well with his feet and is generally assured will make a huge difference imo… someone who isn’t overly error prone and can stay calm…

I think we’ve manage to “weed out” quite a few of the weaker, error prone or more limited players (whether that be limited by technique, character or injury proneness) over recent times and are in the process of sending a few more on their way… and so becoming a more stronger and capable unit as a whole… 

Just my take and the way I see it…. if we can rid ourselves of, and this is going to sound harsh but I can’t think of a milder word, “liabilities” then we will be in a much better and risk averse place/situation. Why “cut corners”? 

Maybe there could be some miraculous turnaround and he can make a major improvement, I just don’t see it and haven’t seen anything to suggest it so far…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

2 more signings on the level of Tielemans, Torres, Diaby and we are serious top 4 contenders

Top 3 on form under Emery before those signings. Good times ahead

22 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I know we are shopping at a different level but isn't Vlahovic on £275k per week? Surely thats too much for us currently?

If we can offload 5-10 of our fringe players who do very little for us, that's 350k pw off the books roughly, could be up to 500k pw depending on the players offloaded.

But yeah, not easily affordable for sure.

16 hours ago, duke313 said:

It depends what we’re asking the right back to do.

If it’s a traditional RB who gets forward, then Konsa isn’t the answer. If the RB is asked to stay back and form a back three, essentially a right sided CB, then he could be the answer.

Look at Stones and TAA, they’ve had no issue adapting to a new role/position.

spot on.

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

How many games I wonder before someone makes a comment that Diaby is a waste of money? Wingers are notoriously inconsistent and as we have seen with other players coming from the Bundesliga, it can be quite a challenge acclimatising to the Premier league. 

Bailey is a good example, yes he's had some poor games but he has also looked great in others, yet the general consensus is, he's useless. I think the appointment of Diaby will be extra motivation for Bailey to add more consistency to his game. It's great competition for those wide attacking places and it will be interesting who has the desire to step up.

I think that word is key - competition. And so is desire…

For far too long, we’ve had players whose place in the side is pretty much guaranteed. Regardless of performance levels too. We’ve had mediocre or low level players that have played too often in the past…

Added quality and competition should only help, so players will have to work hard and prove themselves in training and in games… only the best performing player will get a spot. As soon as their level drops, the other guy comes in and could supersede or surpass that player, who will then be forced to work harder and up his levels to get back in the side.

That’s exactly what’s needed in a successful side, rather than having players come on/in who are a significant drop off in quality and are perennial backups/reserves…

When was the last time we had this? I genuinely can’t remember…

A strong squad brings competition, which brings success. No one should ever be too comfortable, and needs to have the desire and competition to “get back in the game”… to constantly be trying to prove themselves to the manager…

I wouldn’t even mind if we brought in a quality keeper to push Emi rather than just be a permanent backup…

It’d be more beneficial to have that in most, if not all, positions. Especially if we’re serious about competing on all fronts and want to win things…

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

2 more signings on the level of Tielemans, Torres, Diaby and we are serious top 4 contenders

I have to agree… but we should also be careful not to get too carried away and drastically raise expectation levels.

Not saying there will be, but there shouldn’t be any added pressure or demands placed on Unai… he’s already done so well and he’s, hopefully, here for the long term…

What’s the saying… slow and steady wins the race?

We’re building something special and to last, we don’t need to rush things at all…

However, Unai has already said, “I’m not here to waste time”…

Sustainable success 👌

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jas10 said:

I have to agree… but we should also be careful not to get too carried away and drastically raise expectation levels.

Not saying there will be, but there shouldn’t be any added pressure or demands placed on Unai… he’s already done so well and he’s, hopefully, here for the long term…

What’s the saying… slow and steady wins the race?

We’re building something special and to last, we don’t need to rush things at all…

I wouldn't be disappointed if we don't get top 4 considering we have to learn how to manage Europe this season which will be a whole different experience.

With the quality of signings we are making and the quality of manager we have though, it is a possibility. What a time to be a fan.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if we don't get top 4 considering we have to learn how to manage Europe this season which will be a whole different experience.

With the quality of signings we are making and the quality of manager we have though, it is a possibility. What a time to be a fan.

Top 5 get UCL this coming season.