Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

A very important point… and with an even greater emphasis on playing out from the back and playing a passing or possession based game…. (and after signing Pau) we simply can’t be having the likes of Olsen playing for this team… nor bringing his nervousness and anxiety to it…

Gonna steal @thabucks suggestion, Sanchez from Brighton? Seems a superb shout and a situation we can exploit…

Any other good suggestions?

The point with Sanchez is he blew up because he didn't want to play second fiddle. Why would he come here?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think it has to be someone younger tbh, I can’t see sanchez coming to sit on the bench here. Who that is though I’ve no idea 

Or older and more experienced? 🤷‍♂️

I dunno, if we do well in ECL and with other cup games… there’s plenty of game time to share around…

It would be better than his current situation anyway…

I really hope we bring someone in, can’t tolerate much more of Olsen. He’s a nervous wreck. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The point with Sanchez is he blew up because he didn't want to play second fiddle. Why would he come here?

Back up keeper one of the hardest positions to fill. Suggesting some that want to be first choice is ridiculous like you say

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don’t know the details… is that why? Or did he become second choice after whatever the “dispute” was?

Why would he come here? Because we’re class 🤣 and have a class manager 👌

I dunno.

Open to suggestions.

We need to strengthen this area of the team.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t know the details… is that why? Or did he become second choice after whatever the “dispute” was?

Why would he come here? Because we’re class 🤣 and have a class manager 👌

I dunno.

Open to suggestions.

We need to strengthen this area of the team.

The public claim made by De Zerbi was that Steele was training better and showed a better understanding of the style of play he wanted vis a vis passing out from the back. To what extent this was the real issue I don't know, but Sanchez made clear he wanted to leave shortly after. I don't see him wanting to spend the season on our bench.

I agree we need to strengthen this role. 

If we're looking for backup keepers to replace Olsen I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaclik.

He played under Emery and signed by Monchi so would know the setup and Emery's style of play, he should slot in easily.

A 34 year old backup isn't going to be demanding crazy wages either.

He's just spent the last 6 months playing for Huddersfield, 18 months ago he was a Europa League regular so I dunno what happened or why he moved to Olympiakos and then Hudds but seems a good option to me?

other free transfer goalkeepers I like the look of are Handanovic and Timo Horn but both are old and been with their last clubs for a long time, I dunno if they'd consider a switch to a different club and country at this stage. Vaclik has just moved to England which is why I feel like that's likely to happen. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 1

Looking too much into this I'm sure, but Vaclik has also changed his representatives recently and is now under the agency of Unique Sports Group who mainly deal with UK based players. 

They also have the Ramsay brothers, Archer and Azaz on their books for a Villa link and one of their most high-profile players (aside from JJ) is Brennan Johnson, if anyone believes the links there. Also Wan-Bissaka, but I don't know if there is credible links or just fans wanting a defensive RB.

We are definitely in dialogue with this agency this summer, absolutely certain of that though. 

7 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Pau and Mings will be our main CB pairing. I'll happily go on record as saying that. 💯 

Really don't know why anyone would think differently. Oh because it would be the first dual left-footed centre back pairing in the history of football?

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

If we're looking for backup keepers to replace Olsen I wouldn't be surprised to see Vaclik.

He played under Emery and signed by Monchi so would know the setup and Emery's style of play, he should slot in easily.

A 34 year old backup isn't going to be demanding crazy wages either.

He's just spent the last 6 months playing for Huddersfield, 18 months ago he was a Europa League regular so I dunno what happened or why he moved to Olympiakos and then Hudds but seems a good option to me?

other free transfer goalkeepers I like the look of are Handanovic and Timo Horn but both are old and been with their last clubs for a long time, I dunno if they'd consider a switch to a different club and country at this stage. Vaclik has just moved to England which is why I feel like that's likely to happen. 

Interesting shout although it seems he wasn't actually at Sevilla the same time as Unai and Monchi wasn't there when he signed either.

Also I know he was highly rated a few years ago but not sure how I feel about the fact he was 2nd choice at Huddersfield last season.

Edited by villan95

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Maybe one of our young keepers could make the step up…I have no idea but could this be under consideration rather than a new second keeper purchase?

We just loaned out Sinisalo and I think he’s ahead of most others in the youth set up.

I think we either go for 21-22 year old with massive potential, or more likely, we go for an older keeper whose competent and happy enough to sit on the bench? 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Really don't know why anyone would think differently. Oh because it would be the first dual left-footed centre back pairing in the history of football?

I’m excited for the double left footer thing to drive VT wild every time we concede a goal. Can’t work out which one of them plays RCB? 

23 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I’m excited for the double left footer thing to drive VT wild every time we concede a goal. Can’t work out which one of them plays RCB? 

That’s the beauty of it - they will BOTH play LCB leaving the RCB spot empty!