Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yes to Torres the 2nd.

Give him a chance mate…Pau only got married less than two weeks ago so ‘Pau Torres II’ is about 17 years away from first team football assuming they have a son 😉

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because he’s not that great and before you quote stats, so did El Ghazi but I’ve watched F.Torres enough to not be impressed, so no thanks.

Torres would be a serious coup for us - far better than anyone else linked like Johnson, Barnes, Gnonto etc. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I assume a loan to buy deal would work better for our FFP?

Loan with option to buy is the best type of deal assuming the price is agreed in advance. That way you can have him for a year and if it doesn't work out you can send him back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Purple Bricks is such an outside ITK, it has to be true 

Ssshhh! Please don't say things like that out loud, you will just attract the attention of the transfer police. There's one really zealous bod doing the rounds atm, who will come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you start showing the slightest bit of interest in a transfer rumour that he has not deemed true.

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Cameron archer is pretty cheap.. done wonders in the championship and his goal to minute ratio for the England  under 21s is awesome. 

I think he’s the perfect back up striker. 

Think Archer’s still a season away from being Watkins’ deputy I reckon. If he did have to step up and lead the line for 8-10 weeks in the PL it would be a huge gamble. I think we’ll spend big on a player to take the burden off Watkins with Archer playing cups and Euro Conf. If we get to the business end of the Europa Conference or the cups then Emery will be using Watkins in those games too so he’ll will want a proven deputy to take the pressure off him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I want someone where the answer is so blindingly obviously that no one ever asks that question

Exactly the kind of “strategy” I would like to see and think we need… bring in better.

Again, I think it’s about making the most of our opportunities. We can really disrupt that “upper echelon” of the league if we add some genuine quality and goal threat…

We’re in such a great position to take that next step or two…

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Torres (F) can play wide and through the middle if needed. Contributes goals and assists. I don't understand the people against signing him. 

As for Rodrigo, Emery is big on character and attitude. I can't see him bringing someone in who could potentially disrupt our strong team spirit and togetherness. 

He'd automatically be one of our best players if he came here. Far more exciting than signing Johnson or Barnes.

Nothing like the Coutinho signing as Torres has his best years in front of him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Torres (F) can play wide and through the middle if needed. Contributes goals and assists. I don't understand the people against signing him. 

Not against signing him.

Just don't pay Barca £35m for a player they don't want and have given a stupid contract to.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Think Archer’s still a season away from being Watkins’ deputy I reckon. If he did have to step up and lead the line for 8-10 weeks in the PL it would be a huge gamble. I think we’ll spend big on a player to take the burden off Watkins with Archer playing cups and Euro Conf. If we get to the business end of the Europa Conference or the cups then Emery will be using Watkins in those games too so he’ll will want a proven deputy to take the pressure off him.

And that player doesn't need to be an out and out CF (thus avoiding the gold plated striker sat on the bench or having Archer or Duran doing nothing but warm a seat on the bench scenarios raised).  An AM / CF hybrid or a CF / AM hybrid depending on how you want to phrase it would do the job.  It means that Archer can come on as a sub for Ollie and know that the pressure to score isn't all on him.  AND it means that if Ollie is injured for 8 or 10 weeks then Unai can decide whether to juggle things and have "The Hybrid" (as I will now nickname him) lead the line or to play Archer or a bit of both.  Signing "The Hybrid" gives Archer the best chance of playing for us next season and of scoring goals for us next season.  He absolutely isn't a blockage to bringing young prospects through.  If we sign this player and Unai then decides that Archer needs another year out on loan at a top of the Championship / bottom of the PL then so be it - that is also a strategy that could really help Archer develop.

Edited by allani

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

3 times in nearly 15 years...

As a squad player he'd be ok I suppose but it's a position that's key to us now, I don't want to sign someone who sparks a "is he better than Buendia?" conversation I want someone where the answer is so blindingly obviously yes no ever asks that question

Same for F.Torres and Bailey….”is he better than Bailey?” I want someone where the answer is so blindingly obviously yes no ever asks that question and F.Torres isn’t that

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

Same for F.Torres and Bailey….”is he better than Buendia?” I want someone where the answer is so blindingly obviously yes no ever asks that question and F.Torres isn’t that

Not sure we attract whoever that player is.