Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 hours ago, RicRic said:

Seen that Kang In Lee is on the verge of completing a move to PSG, I underestimated how talented this guy is bare in mind I’ve never seen him play but always thought the talk was overboard BUT PSG ain’t swooping you up for no reason so fair play to the

kenneth.jpeg.6a767b41f487276ad2852e62f5cffa9c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Personally i dont think we are interested in Ferran Torres, could be wrong if course but i just dont see us going for him the more i think about it, when i first heard i was buzzing but not so much now, wish we could get either Felix or Nico Williams but neither seem likely so lets see what Unai has up his sleeve 

close-up-of-a-young-bornean-orangutans-a

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, allani said:

That is not even remotely true.  The Italian commentators know (or at least have it written down and then use it during matches) so much about English clubs and players.  Last time I watched Villa on Sky Sports Italia they spent more than 5 minutes talking about Ramsey's career progression and the fact that he had a younger brother out on loan who was doing really well in the Championship.  They then talked about what a great signing John McGinn had been and how he must be one of the best value signings of recent years.  Then they talked about how Mings had recovered from being stripped of the captaincy to become a key part of our improvement under Unai.  Their knowledge of the teams outside the Sly 6 is at least as good as English commentators - I'd almost go to say that it might even be a bit better.  Also they don't turn every conversation about any club, manager, player into a conversation about a Sly 6 team.

I know it is slightly different because there is live Premier League football on Italian TV (and so to an extent they are just doing their job) - but I've found out plenty of stuff about opposition players from the Italian commentary team.  I bet if you asked all the English commentators on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky to name 2 players from Lazio (who finished 2nd), where Atalanta play (finished 5th) or to name players from Sassuolo who have represented Italy in the last 3 seasons they wouldn't have a clue.

I think we have our wires crossed,here , mate...... I was sarcastically refering to English Journalists.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RicRic said:

And even with all that you have to watch them playing because bailey hasn’t played as well as buendia but stats will prove otherwise and ramsey has performed better than both, my question is this is ramsey good enough to start for us if we are pushing for a top 5 finish, buendia and bailey are not which i have long before established.

Thoughts?

I agree. But I will say Buendia and Bailey have been equally average. They have both had 2 or 3 games where they looked excellent, but otherwise just varying levels of mediocrity. The thing with Buendia is his game keeps him involved, whereas Bailey can get isolated out on the right flank.

Jj is good enough to start. But he can sort of be improved upon. I say sort of because he has all the attributes to be a top player for any team in the world, he just needs to keep learning and improving to become that player.

I also say sort of because left midfield / wing probably isn't his best position. He is far more comfortable carrying the ball through the middle from deeper positions than on the left. For me he should be the most attacking member of a 3 man central midfield. Carrying the ball from deep then getting in the box to support attacks and score goals. If you put him infront of Kamara and Luiz he'd thrive as a ball carrying goalscoring 8. 

Having said that, he needs to improve the defensive side of his game still. He can get caught on the wrong side of his man, and can fail to track runners. He has good pass completion, and plays safe when passing mostly. However he will certainly play forward if the pass is on. He doesn't try to force matters, or dwell while looking of the forward pass, and prefers to keep the ball moving.

This makes him perfect for Emery ball! He can carry the ball out at pace swiftly transitioning from defence to attack. Keeps the ball well, and loves to get forward and support the forwards. Also one of the best finishers at the club. Perfect for Emery ball. 

We need two wingers though. One left and one right. Left because we don't have one proper left winger / forward. And right because Bailey hasn't been good enough. I also think we need top class no 10. This will give us tons of options and permutations. Emery is a master at changing things up so giving him more options is like putting more bullets in the gun. And he use a sniper!

We will probably look to get the no 10 and a winger that is right footed but comfortable on both flanks (as we already have a left footed winger). 3 quality attacking players is very costly. If our net spend is over 100m at the end of the window, I'd be very surprised.

The defense is sorted with Torres coming in now. 4 quality CB's. Two quality LB's. One RB, but two CB's that can play RB (Konsa and Chambers). Chambers versatility and abilty on the ball make him a very useful squad member. Selling a player that covers 3 positions for peanuts simply isn't worth it.

• Like 1

With Torres and Tielemans coming in, we’ve done some excellent business so far this window.

This gives me even more confidence in Emery, Monchi and the project and I absolutely trust them to sign the right players for the right price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Yeah...  He's a left sided CB...  I've watched him play several times for Roma this season.

But but, he's right footed! Surely he can't play on the left side!! (I'm not questioning or doubting anything you're saying here now, I'm just doing the classic reaction seen when we were linked with Torres!) 

I all seriousness though, I'm sure like Diego Carlos before him (who is also a right footed cb who's played a lot at lcb) he will very easily adapt to either rcb or RB! 

2 hours ago, John said:

More of a fan of Star Soccer myself;). Hugh Johns commentary and hosted by Billy Wright and Gary Newbon, they gave MOTD some serious competition. There really was no better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching the likes of Derby, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Stoke, WBA, Coventry, Walsall, Small Heath and ourselves every weekend from 1968 onwards. Jumpers for goalposts anyone? :D

image.jpeg.1446896c96f4a129d3df904dcaca4368.jpeg  image.jpeg.1c24b53dc3a0379c94a37ed0a01f123b.jpeg Football Memories on Twitter: "Gary Newbon hosts Star Soccer on ATV  #ITVFootball #ATV #Presenters #StarSoccer https://t.co/59K9M7zZpI" / Twitter image.jpeg.04651e7034cdde5fc10e7fb734c47ecf.jpeg

"Soccer"? I'm sick of these Americanisms!

;)

Edited by maqroll

It's unlike this account to pipe up randomly with a tweet about a player without them meaning something (i.e. there's something in the Brennan Johnson rumours). Whether you believe this account or not, the smoke is building on this one, so there might be something to it. He wouldn't be someone that I'd go for (I think there's better value elsewhere), but he's got pace, potential, knows where the net is and in Unai we trust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gaz90 said:

It's unlike this account to pipe up randomly with a tweet about a player without them meaning something (i.e. there's something in the Brennan Johnson rumours).

Yep, was thinking the same and was just going to post it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

Ramsey is definitely. If he was playing for a club in Europe and we were goon to sign him we would be a mixture of ecstatic and scared that Man City or PSG were going to come and steal him. The guy is a high quality footballer who is getting better and better. I bet the isn’t many midfielders available this window who can pick up a ball on the half then 20 yards from our goal and have us on the edge of the opposition box in 6-7 seconds  

There are fans and pundits who have already been touting him to sign for a " big club " to be fair.

Villa to compete with Brighton for Koopmeiners 

🤣 We seem to be linked with pretty much everyone this year, yet another new link. Maybe rather than being quiet to hide our links, we are creating lots of noise about lots of targets to hide our real ones. If that makes sense?

I know there was someone on this message board who was a big advocate of signing Koopmeiners last year, could it finally happen?

Aston Villa reportedly intend to compete with Brighton for the signing of Atalanta midfielder Teun Koopmeiners.

That's according to Italian outlet Foot Mercato who report that the Dutchman has several sides looking to sign him. A "few" Serie A teams are said to have contacted Atalanta president Antonio Percassi and their sporting director, Tony D’Amico to enquiry about the "conditions needed" to sign the players.

Napoli, Juventus and Inter Milan are all said to have been the "most active" in their pursuit. Previous reports also stated that the Seagulls had made initial contact with Atalanta. Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi is said to have identified the Dutchman as a "priority" target as Moises Caicedo is expected to join Chelsea.

The report also adds that due to interest from Brighton and Villa, a transfer "could prove complicated" for the Italian sides to make a swoop. As for Villa, the "player's profile is thought to please" the club.

Edited by NeilS

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

Villa to compete with Brighton for Koopmeiners  🤣 We seem to be linked with pretty much everyone this year, yet another new link. Maybe rather than being quiet to hide our links, we are creating lots of noise about lots of targets to hide our real ones. If that makes sense?

I know there was someone on this message board who was a big advocate of signing Koopmeiners last year, could it finally happen?

Villa to challenge Brighton for Koopmeiners

Aston Villa reportedly intend to compete with Brighton for the signing of Atalanta midfielder Teun Koopmeiners.

That's according to Italian outlet Foot Mercato who report that the Dutchman has several sides looking to sign him. A "few" Serie A teams are said to have contacted Atalanta president Antonio Percassi and their sporting director, Tony D’Amico to enquiry about the "conditions needed" to sign the players.

Napoli, Juventus and Inter Milan are all said to have been the "most active" in their pursuit. Previous reports also stated that the Seagulls had made initial contact with Atalanta. Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi is said to have identified the Dutchman as a "priority" target as Moises Caicedo is expected to join Chelsea.

The report also adds that due to interest from Brighton and Villa, a transfer "could prove complicated" for the Italian sides to make a swoop. As for Villa, the "player's profile is thought to please" the club.

SIGN ALL THE MIDFIELDERS

• Like 1