Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Mentions it in his piece about Spurs going for Maddison apparently. 

Thanks, will take a look

edit: not a strong link really, almost a dismissive off the cuff link for Percy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/26/tottenham-transfer-news-james-maddison-offer-to-be-tabled/

Harvey Barnes, the winger, is another target for Premier League clubs including Tottenham, Newcastle and Aston Villa, but sources suggest a move is not close at this stage.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Mentions it in his piece about Spurs going for Maddison apparently. 

Maddison is a great player, but i do wonder how he fits in to many clubs, he's a luxury player tbh (talented but lazy).

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I've been expecting you.

Look, if you’re going to bait people on here maybe expect such replies. 

I read Percy’s article and the claim is incredibly tenuous still. Linking three clubs to one player is the definition of hedging your bets and he even admits no deal with any party is close. Nobody has denied that Barnes has many good qualities, just that he might not be a good fit here. 

1) The article is about Maddison, Percy doesn't have enough info to make an article about it and 2) "Harvey Barnes, the winger, is another target for Premier League clubs including Tottenham, Newcastle and Aston Villa, but sources suggest a move is not close at this stage."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

"Harvey Barnes, the winger, is another target for Premier League clubs including Tottenham, Newcastle and Aston Villa, but sources suggest a move is not close at this stage."

Start the thread....oh wait.....

• Like 1

Harvey Barnes is a really good player and I rate him; just find it surprising Emery would sign him.

£30 million is it?

PL games, 34 goals, 1 assist.

Barnes is direct, quick, strong, and scores goals even for a very poor team last season.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Look, if you’re going to bait people on here maybe expect such replies. 

I read Percy’s article and the claim is incredibly tenuous still. Linking three clubs to one player is the definition of hedging your bets and he even admits no deal with any party is close. Nobody has denied that Barnes has many good qualities, just that he might not be a good fit here. 

1) The article is about Maddison, Percy doesn't have enough info to make an article about it and 2) "Harvey Barnes, the winger, is another target for Premier League clubs including Tottenham, Newcastle and Aston Villa, but sources suggest a move is not close at this stage."

I know you hate speculation but I wasn't baiting anyone lol, it's literally a report that's relevant to the thread and I made a light-hearted remark re: the general negativity around signing him. Chill out.

In any case that's several credible people now that have said we're at least interested in Barnes, as much as folk want to fight the mere idea of it. Nobody has said we're definitely signing him.

• Like 1

I do think a rather frustrating narrative of top players being courted by and then rejecting Aston Villa may be getting legs. I've seen perhaps seven or eight of these stories this year. Not sure there's a thing the club can do about it apart from finding innovative ways to influence social media and finishing in the top four this year. We're a bit of the disrespected mongrel. We might as well embrace it rather than trying to appeal to the bullshit twitterstorms.

• Haha 1

Emery loves Lo Celso.

He’s already signed him twice before and I can definitely see Emery wanting to sign him again. Spurs want his wages off the books and Lo Celso is believed to be keen. This transfer makes perfect sense at there right price. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Emery loves Lo Celso.

He’s already signed him twice before and I can definitely see Emery wanting to sign him again. Spurs want his wages off the books and Lo Celso is believed to be keen. This transfer makes perfect sense at there right price. 

Hard to argue with that tbh. Regardless of whether people want him, it makes sense given the history.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Emery loves Lo Celso.

The only problem is levy I guess he prob wants 5 trillion for him.

The constant need for some people to try and discredit every link in a speculation thread is tiresome. Yeah, most of the links are BS and we accept that. Can still discuss the player though. 

I for one would welcome the addition of Barnes. I feel like if we let him go to another club it will be another Bowen situation which we'll come to regret. 

• Like 3

Assuming he is gettable relatively cheap - which outside of the admittedly large Levy factor seems plausible - I think Lo Celso would be a handy signing. As said above Emery obviously likes him and he's quite a versatile player in this system.

He's more of a facilitator and we don't exactly lack for them at the moment, but given what should be a big increase in the number of fixtures next season he'd be a handy addition to the squad along with the one or two more game-changing signings to lift the burden of end product off of Watkins a bit more.

• Like 3