Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

People who think Monchi will have any real impact on this window need to watch Monchi 13 to see how 95% of the work is done over the course of the season to identify the targets. He will have had zero input on that whole process.

What he can do at best is advise on potential targets or play on our list already. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We have moved on from him. We got Tielemans instead. 

Different midfielders. He’s played more of an attacking midfielder and can play wide right. Tielemans is mostly a centre midfield. Both can play different positions but aren't the same. 

42 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Different midfielders. He’s played more of an attacking midfielder and can play wide right. Tielemans is mostly a centre midfield. Both can play different positions but aren't the same. 

The role Emery wanted them to fill in the team is the same. He went for Tielemans and got him. We have no more interest in Guendouzi 

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Whilst he is probably "working" in the background, Villa said he starts in July when they announced him so in theory he hasn't even come in yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there is no further signings by the time they come back for pre-season especially if they are targeting ambitious players and them deals can take ages.

Villa signed Kamara and Carlos early last year and apart from making Olsen permanent and loaning a back-up left back, the club didn't make any more signings for like 2 months and even then it was for 2 squad players and one got sent back in January. 

People haven't learnt from the January window, Emery is not going to sign players for the sake of it. It is going to be quality over quantity.

In hindsight I reckon there may have been some reservations regarding SG last summer - hence the handbrake was left on to some extent.

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Villa signed Kamara and Carlos early last year and apart from making Olsen permanent and loaning a back-up left back, the club didn't make any more signings for like 2 months and even then it was for 2 squad players and one got sent back in January. 

It's circumstances though. Kamara was on a free so obviously was going to sign early. Carlos and Coutinho were because the Spanish sides needed sales before the June deadline for their financial period shut so they were keen to agree deals in June.

We got a backup left back in on loan as cover for Digne. Then events controlled things late in the window. Gerrard starting season terrible probably put a block on giving him even more players than he has already. 

Dendoncker was added as CDM cover and we had to loan a CB in after Carlos injury. 

This window so far we made moves for the free agents and landed one. We are probably after some La Liga players but we don't know if any of those clubs need to sell before June or not. So this window will likely be different to last one. We also need to move players on

The crest situation has got me all pissed off. I need a signing to cheer me up.

Announce Nico Williams, wearing both 22/23 and 23/24 shirts so he's in line with Villa's brand identity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't think some are getting the spirit of @CVByrne's post. They were only a brain dump of positive possibilities. All he was saying was, given that everyone else has improved under Emery, we can hope (just hope, nothing guaranteed, be hopeful, y'know, positive thoughts?...) that maybe, just maybe Coutinho might improve under him too, and that if he did there might be a good player in there again.  And then that one line got picked on.

As for how many 'really' turned us down. Again, that's not the point. The point is that all the fans have 'heard/read' in the meeja is 'no, no, no' other than Tielemans. Sure, most of it will be paper talk. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to hear something different once in a while. That's all. Or maybe I got it wrong. I dunno. The fact idle comments are being picked apart tells me we could definitely do with something concrete happening, inwards or out :D

Oh Ok.

I agree with the view that Emery can improve existing players, absolutely....maybe I misinterpreted the point he was making.

I guess, it was in my mind, of when Brian Little told me at a shareholders meeting many moons ago, that the club try to avoid going after players, they are not going to get, as its not a good sign in the market.

but hey ho.....I guess I got it wrong.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Back to transfer thread…the kit, badge, sponsorship debacle has done my head in today so decided to get back to transfer thread instead…

I've resigned myself to waiting and seeing what we do....It's the speculation that winds us up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Thought Luton would’ve quickly sorted a permanent deal for Marv, he found a home there and the fans seemed to love him.

Watford failed to get promoted so there’s no obligation for them to buy Davis, hopefully there’s some interest from Championship clubs…

West Ham stayed up so we’ll get a couple of extra mil on the Ings deal.

Can’t see anyone taking a punt on Hause and he’s been having injury troubles.

Strasbourg don’t have the finances to sign Sanson, they only got Guilbert cos he was free, out of contract. I think we would need to find a better suitor but apparently he impressed in France so there may be interest… but which clubs will be willing and able to pay his wages?

This is the problem though, we all too often overpay on wages for players then it’s that much harder to shift them because foreign clubs simply can’t afford to pay them as much.

Difficult to see a taker for Wesley too, Levante won’t be able to afford much and he hasn’t exactly been on fire there… a small fee and heavy reduction on wages is the only hope…

Traore’s contract is running down so it’d be good to get a fee for him but I can’t see much interest and, again, who is going to pay his wages?

Coutinho will he really hard to move on, big wages and injury prone. Only real hope is a Saudi club looking for a “name” signing really…

I’m sick of these loans, but what choice do we have? We still have to pay the majority of their earnings (sick of writing wages 🤣) and the player is so unlikely to get a permanent move. Just shows up how poor our recruitment has been. We have to be a lot better in this regard.

All too often, we’re just waiting for contracts to run down so we can let these players go.

Can’t see us making much money at all on them either, it’s just a case of getting them off the books really and putting our finances to better use…

In terms of transfer business, this is going to be the most difficult area/aspect…

We have overpaid on a lot of dross… need to have more intelligence and nous in the market.

I believe we will but it’s hard to shed the mistakes of the past.

I would add Bailey to the list as well.

Not that bothered on Traore, considering how little we would get for him he makes a good squad player.

A good thing is most of the ones that are difficult to get rid of only have a year or two left so they will be more motivated to find alternative employers.

5 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

For anyone that wants a distraction from the kit/badge/sponsorship debacle:

So we are discussing players?

I think his idea of 'not messing around ' and mine differ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

So we are discussing players?

I think his idea of 'not messing around ' and mine differ.

I'm not sure how much he knows (if anything). Equally, I'm not sure how much you or anyone else on this board knows. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we all know somewhere between very little and absolutely nothing.

So let's deal in facts. The domestic window has been open for 8 days and we've signed 1 player from Leicester City. The international window isn't open for another 9 days and we've understandably signed zero players from abroad. We've therefore signed the joint-fourth or fifth (depending on what you read) most players out of all Premier League clubs, including the likes of Luton, Everton and West Ham, all of which need signings much more than us. That also includes the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal, who are arguably closer to where we want to be.

Chances are we'll never know the full facts of what happens in this window or most other windows, so the most sensible approach, and the least irritating one for others, is to hold off with the panic until much closer to the end of the window, when it's probably a bit more warranted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1