Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

56 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He has patchy form not just this season. Goes missing in games often and is Villa hating Coventry boy so wouldn't want to sign for us and I don't want him so hope Newcastle or Spurs spunk loads of money on him

It would sum up Maddison and his career if he turned down a move anywhere because his family isn't a fan of the club.

Doubt we're interested.

14 hours ago, paul514 said:

Yes he is very good at everything except the end product.

if he ever managed that he would be one of the greats 

That's great end product though. Scores twice as often as he should and creates tonnes of scoring opportunities for others. 

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

No issues with the rest of your post but just pointing out Mings has said he can’t play left back any more - his body doesn’t suit it and he blames it for the injury problems earlier in his career. So I don’t think we will ever see this option.

He did say flipping the system if this was the case, so just a left CB in reality. Which I think is interesting

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With players like Neves going to Saudi for 47m, it would be nice if we could offload a few there!

They seem to be proper going for it at the moment out there. Good if we could get rid of Coutinho and Digne perhaps, mainly to free up the wage bill a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would take Brennan Johnson, you cannot coach pace, you either have it or not and he is rapid.

I also think that this type of player should be in our sweet spot.  Talent and ability but need someone like Emery to unlock their real potential. 

I also believe it is a barometer of what the player really wants.  Emery showed last season he really improves players, therefore should weed out the hungry as opposed to the greedy.

I do though have total faith in Monchi and Emery to do the right thing. First time in decades! 

• Like 1

Not this Brennan Johnson chat again. Christ, I wouldn’t pay £15m for him. Absolutely bang average, but has scored a few so people claim he’s decent. We need to be, and will be aiming much higher this summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, burchy said:

They seem to be proper going for it at the moment out there. Good if we could get rid of Coutinho and Digne perhaps, mainly to free up the wage bill a little. 

I'm personally not desperate to get rid of Digne at all, especially not in this window.

We don't need to be making wholesale changes in one go and he is more than good enough as competetion / back up.

Bare in mind, Moreno is out injured.

If anything, you'd be better off signing a young fullback.

• Like 4

Just now, Rich192 said:

Not this Brennan Johnson chat again. Christ, I wouldn’t pay £15m for him. Absolutely bang average, but has scored a few so people claim he’s decent. We need to be, and will be aiming much higher this summer. 

He’s a decent player but vastly overrated. It’s like that time when everyone wanted to sign Ethan Ampadu.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, burchy said:

Lyon are in dire straits financially, he’s lazy as f#@€ but would take Cherki. Also Lukeba and Diomande on that list

That’s the last thing we need… lazy players won’t fit into Unai’s style and system (and most other top manager’s sides). Character and personality is just as important as technical prowess when signing players…

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Exactly, we’re not going to majorly progress as a team unless we bring in a higher calibre of player. We need enhancements and upgrades, not to be wasting money on squad filler or the “same sorts”. Tbh, I’m usually underwhelmed by suggestions from a lot of people in our fan base and it often smacks of a lack of ambition or knowledge.

Said it before, but Unai (and Monchi) have a wealth of knowledge and experience, played against and watched so many players around the globe, they’re not going to restrict themselves to British based and overrated, overpriced players when they can go out and sign some genuine stars and gems… and get value while they’re at it. Monchi knows how to do that…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With players like Neves going to Saudi for 47m, it would be nice if we could offload a few there!

Neves, Until he magically signs for Newcastle in a 'bargain' next summer. It's all corrupt as ****.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think Brennan Johnson is overrated. He struggles to control the ball and he runs up blind alleys. Morgan Gibbs White is ten times the player. 

You can coach that, you cannot coach MGW to do the 100m in 12 seconds.

If you want to know how any elite sports academy works, that is the thought process. Technique can be taught, size and pace cannot 

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Exactly, we’re not going to majorly progress as a team unless we bring in a higher calibre of player. We need enhancements and upgrades, not to be wasting money on squad filler or the “same sorts”. Tbh, I’m usually underwhelmed by suggestions from a lot of people in our fan base and it often smacks of a lack of ambition or knowledge.

Said it before, but Unai (and Monchi) have a wealth of knowledge and experience, played against and watched so many players around the globe, they’re not going to restrict themselves to British based and overrated, overpriced players when they can go out and sign some genuine stars and gems… and get value while they’re at it. Monchi knows how to do that…

I think you will find they have identified talent to develop and sell on, irrespective of where that has come from.

I have said this before, too many are fixated on what the player is now, I think Monchi/Emery are looking at what the player could be with the right development and coaching.

It bemuses me people still think they are better placed to judge talent and system above Emery because they played FM 1999 edition! 🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

I think you will find they have identified talent to develop and sell on, irrespective of where that has come from.

I have said this before, too many are fixated on what the player is now, I think Monchi/Emery are looking at what the player could be with the right development and coaching.

It bemuses me people still think they are better placed to judge talent and system above Emery because they played FM 1999 edition! 🙄

?

Who denied or spoke against this?

Of course they’re looking for potential and quality at the same time. No one said they weren’t.

Having a difference of opinion on one player or a certain approach does not either cover or discount these extra points you’ve made.

Why are you assuming we’re even interested in this guy? 

Erm… I’ve already stated multiple times that there is no better judge than Unai when it comes to bringing in players and he should get who he wants.

We have zero insight, just opinions and speculation and that’s what this thread is for mainly?

It’s fine to disagree but no need to stretch that to accusing those that do for having a FM or FIFA mentality…

We can have civilised debates rather than getting annoyed at each other…