Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Think the issue is now his release clause has doubled to €60mill sadly. With Monchi’s appointment I can see us getting a number of young La Liga players.

I’ve said it before I’d be surprised if Arnau Martínez from Girona isn’t a target as he can play both RB & CB. https://footballtalentscout.net/2023/05/09/arnau-martinez-scouting-report-by-louis-readman/

Alex Baena if indeed Williams doesn’t leave Bilbao who Emery knows well.  

Saw somewhere online our name tagged with CM Pablo Torre from Barca and cannot see him displacing Gavi & Pedri or De Jong

https://footballtalentscout.net/2021/09/01/pablo-torre/

Can Monchi pull off fresneda... (kw)

Not seen him play but seen the links to some of Europe's top boys

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Same could be said of Tielemans.

Haven't noticed it as starkly with Tielemans to be honest. It's a rotten trait though. Only applies to your better players as well.

It would be nice if Traore went out there and took games by the scruff of the neck, but I know really he's not good enough to. If Ramsey or McGinn hides away when we need them, I get frustrated.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But tielemans cost £0 and should be a squad player

Maddison will be at least £50m and considered a key player, I don't think he's that special

Tielemans isn’t coming here to be a squad player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You think he's a guaranteed starter?

I think he'll have to earn it

Everybody has to earn it, nobody is a guaranteed starter.

It’s a squad game, West Ham player nearly 60 games this season, we can expect similar.

19 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Tielemans isn’t coming here to be a squad player.

They are all squad players.

Long season, lots of competitions and games. Also, it’s a 16 man 90 minute game these days, different game phases, and each game approached differently.

• Like 2

With Monchi finally on board I hope we start to make progress with bringing in some quality players, progress has been very slow it seems. Not panic mode yet but we could do with 2-3 more in by mid July and a few outs too like Sanson, Nakamba, Davis, Hause, Wesley etc and if we get decent offers for Coutinho and Traore should take them too.

Chukwueze, Zaniolo and Foyth would be my realistic targets to add to Tielemans. Be nice if we could pull off a marquee signing too like Pau Torres or Joao Felix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Personally think Barnes would be great in Emery’s system, in fact think it’d see him step up - totally fine to disagree or to think he’s a rubbish player but let’s not state things as fact when they aren’t…

I disagree, I don't think he suits the system. The width on our left is usually provided by the fullback. We move the ball forward with intricate pass and move. Barnes hugs the line then comes inside. Ramsey starts quite narrow, so Moreno or Digne can bomb past him.

Barnes hugs the line and tends to run around the defense or cut inside an shoot. We would lose the fluency we have on that flank. Add in Ramsey is every bit as good as Barnes  as well as being younger. 

Yes Emery can work on him, and adapt things, but that left flank is our primary attacking outlet, it's simply not a wise move. To spend 40m to 50m on Barnes, who wouldn't even be a starter in my eyes it's stupid!

Lange likes, but Emery makes the decisions, and Monchi is the one that signs players now. So Lange liking doesn't hold much weight anymore.

• Like 1

I think versatility will be key for our frontline signings, similar to the reported Goncalves, who can pretty much cover any of LM, AM, RM, LW, RW. 

If Emery wants to shift to a 433 or even a 4141 then I can see us getting a cheaper LW option in (Nakamura) as he might play them/Bailey out left with our new RW on the right perhaps.

As for the Barnes link I think he’s too tight to the touch line as I see a more Attacking Midfield being the priory out there (Simons please 🤪) that cuts in and allows Moreno space out wide.

33 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think versatility will be key for our frontline signings, similar to the reported Goncalves, who can pretty much cover any of LM, AM, RM, LW, RW. 

If Emery wants to shift to a 433 or even a 4141 then I can see us getting a cheaper LW option in (Nakamura) as he might play them/Bailey out left with our new RW on the right perhaps.

As for the Barnes link I think he’s too tight to the touch line as I see a more Attacking Midfield being the priory out there (Simons please 🤪) that cuts in and allows Moreno space out wide.

Again that would mean we won’t have the best choice. As we can have a squad with the hopefully more games we’re playing, then we shall do that. Most players prefer (or better used) in one position, we can’t get Goncavles and say we’re sorted for wingers. I guess it’s Goncavles or Felix, then a RW Williams or a similar player. Then possibly add someone who’s best on the left side (so we can play different systems if needed). So I agree with you in the second part, Nakamura would be shrewd business (while having Bailey aswell), but we’ll still need someone on the wing. 

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Personally think Barnes would be great in Emery’s system, in fact think it’d see him step up - totally fine to disagree or to think he’s a rubbish player but let’s not state things as fact when they aren’t…

Except that the original point is true. The third attacking player (starting on the left) in most of Emery's teams has been expected to drop back into midfield and help defensively when his teams don't have the ball. And this does not fit in with Barnes' strengths - he does very little defensive work.  Moving him to the second attacking player would mean having to put Barnes in a role he has not played in before (at least not recently to the best of my knowledge).  So based on those two points Barnes doesn't really fit into either role.  At the same time just because that is the way Emery has traditionally lined up doesn't necessarily mean that will be the way he wants us to play next season.  He might be happy to have the wide left attacker be more attacking (especially with a solid three of Luiz, Kamara and Tielemans / McGinn covering the midfield).  Or it might be that Barnes can do more and better defensive work but hasn't been asked to do that at Leicester. But that seems a risk to me.  Just because Barnes doesn't appear to fit the system doesn't make him a rubbish player.  I wouldn't be excited about us signing him but if we do then I hope we find a way of playing him that plays to his strengths and improves the team.  Some people (me included) don't see it - others do.  Which is fine.  Both sides can also use evidence, opinions and facts to justify / support their views.  Two contradicting facts can be true at the same time just as two contrasting opinions can be.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You think he's a guaranteed starter?

I think he'll have to earn it

No-one is a guaranteed starter but I think Kamara, Luiz and Tielemans (at his best) would be our most complimentary midfield three. However, I think we also need to move on from starters and squad players - the role of substitutes is much more important now and so we have a starting XVI rather than a starting XI. So subs who will / can expect to play an important role in most matches.  Then there are players who can offer specific alternatives for certain match situations or opponents and / or mainly expect to be used for injury, suspension, form or fatigue purposes.  In that sense Tielemans is absolutely in the first category rather than the second.

17 minutes ago, allani said:

No-one is a guaranteed starter but I think Kamara, Luiz and Tielemans (at his best) would be our most complimentary midfield three. However, I think we also need to move on from starters and squad players - the role of substitutes is much more important now and so we have a starting XVI rather than a starting XI. So subs who will / can expect to play an important role in most matches.  Then there are players who can offer specific alternatives for certain match situations or opponents and / or mainly expect to be used for injury, suspension, form or fatigue purposes.  In that sense Tielemans is absolutely in the first category rather than the second.

Excatly this! Do we know what Man City's starting line up is? No we don't. It's all about having a great squad to choose from match to match. On a smaller scale that's what we will be doing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

Excatly this! Do we know what Man City's starting line up is? No we don't. It's all about having a great squad to choose from match to match. On a smaller scale that's what we will be doing

100%. Look how much we struggled near the end of the season, the same starting XI each game.