Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Are PSG starting to piss anyone else off? 

If it's any consolation PSG are in an absolute chaos mode. Almost to the point that they might implode. Very much a bring out the popcorn and watch them tear themselves apart summer coming up with some luck.

• Like 1

It must be very frustrating for Yamyams. They raise their eggs and as soon as they look the wrong way, their predatory aristocratic betters steal them and make off, not even trying to hide.

All the Yamyams can do is is watch mournfully from the brush and raise more, only for the cycle to repeat.

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Best goal keeper in the world? Come on he’s not the best in the PL. Take the emotion out of it.

If we had an offer of 70m for Emi it would be a poor business decision to turn it down. We don’t have the endless pot of money some clubs have at some point we will have to turn a profit on certain players to reinvest. That said I’d be gutted if we lost him.

FIFA would disagree with you (see below).;) 

If we were offered £70m (which I doubt, we would be) we would need to replace him with someone. There wouldn't be a lot of thar £70m left, if we were replacing him with someone of a similar standard. You don't progress by selling your best players, you do that if you are a selling club. Like you, I would be gutted if we lost Emi. 

image.jpeg.b2675adc2f37982574b8d5c7a4d564a3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, John said:

If we were offered £70m (which I doubt, we would be) we would need to replace him with someone. There wouldn't be a lot of thar £70m left, if we were replacing him with someone of a similar standard. You don't progress by selling your best players, you do that if you are a selling club. Like you, I would be gutted if we lost Emi. 

Don't think we'd be able to replace him with a similar standard tbh - think it'd be a clear downgrade. He really is an outstanding goalkeeper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Don't think we'd be able to replace him with a similar standard tbh - think it'd be a clear downgrade. He really is an outstanding goalkeeper.

I think we could upgrade on his distribution, but in terms of shot stopping, high claims, new sweeper style we’d really struggle. We’d have to spend 50 odd million easily. I don’t think it’s something we have to worry about until next summer and even then we might not have to depending on how this season goes. 

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Tielemens ended up being the worse kept secret it was absolutely everywhere, Barnes not so much we’ll see I guess, as I said earlier I try to not pay to much attention to internet gossip until players are through the door. 

I guess if we were to sign Barnes also it would be a huge shift from previous windows where we have kept things under wraps until the last minute.

I don’t think things have changed it more coming from the other side of the deal where the leaks are.  I think the Tielemans and Barnes leaks are more in the open because they live fairly locally and it’s friends of friends and all that rather than being a player from a long way away so we get less local talk.  I would argue I’ve heard more rumours about Barnes than I have Tielemans just because the rumours about Barnes started before the Tielemans rumours.

20 minutes ago, John said:

FIFA 23 😂

Joking aside I realise playing in the team that won the world cup influenced any ranking, but in all seriousness he's not the best keeper in the PL but I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the Pl as he adds so much to the team and seems to want to be here (famous last words I said that about that other bloke) . But..........................you are right no one will pay 70m for him not a chance in hell so we are safe hopefully.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sne said:

If it's any consolation PSG are in an absolute chaos mode. Almost to the point that they might implode. Very much a bring out the popcorn and watch them tear themselves apart summer coming up with some luck.

It's not much consolation if they also mess up our own transfer plans (assuming they have actually taken any of our targets, of course).

58 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Is our youth recruitment policy just to sign West Brom players?! Who would have known it was the epicentre of worldwide youth development! 

shows how poor we were, for so many years, to have a local youth setup generate so many good young players compared to ours.

Luckily we have seen the light in the last few years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think things have changed it more coming from the other side of the deal where the leaks are.  I think the Tielemans and Barnes leaks are more in the open because they live fairly locally and it’s friends of friends and all that rather than being a player from a long way away so we get less local talk.  I would argue I’ve heard more rumours about Barnes than I have Tielemans just because the rumours about Barnes started before the Tielemans rumours.

We'll see I guess, I stay away from twitter so don't see the supposed itk tweets just see what ends up on here and i take all of them with a pinch of salt Tielemans was rumored pretty much as soon as Leicester went down, Barnes has gathered a little steam afterwards and whilst I'm not completely against it I just feel we will be looking beyond the midlands for new recruits

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

shows how poor we were, for so many years, to have a local youth setup generate so many good young players compared to ours.

Luckily we have seen the light in the last few years.

How were we poor? How many West Brom academy players from the last 10 years are now playing PL football? 

Genuinly interested in this one.

Edited by zab6359

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

How were we poor? How many West Brom academy players from the last 10 years are now playing PL football? 

Genuinly interested in this one.

its well known that pre the NWSE era our interest in the youth development side of things was on the decline badly.

I agree we can argue us versus them versus others etc etc in terms of how good our youth development was, but its not really up or debate i dont think that our interest in youth development for a fair few years pre NSWE was on the decline.