Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Question - the one position Emery has mentioned several times he wants this summer is a striker. But I’m not sure we’ve been linked with a single striker except something about Vlahovic early on which isn’t going to happen. 

Interesting - do we think that our focus is more a second striker in mould of Goncalves or at a stretch Felix. Or is there a name out there that will come as a surprise to us all. 

Edited by villaglint

24 minutes ago, John said:

I would be. We shouldn't need to sell (the best goalkeeper in the world) to buy. 

Agreed. But that's what happens when you stick to the rules. Sadly, as per a certain other thread, some people don't understand that. Still.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Best goal keeper in the world? Come on he’s not the best in the PL. Take the emotion out of it.

Maybe not in the world, but who is better in the premier league?

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Question - the one position Emery has mentioned several times he wants this summer is a striker. But I’m not sure we’ve been linked with a single striker except something about Vlahovic early on which isn’t going to happen. 

Interesting - do we think that our focus is more a second striker in mould of Goncalves or at a stretch Felix. Or is there a name out there that will come as a surprise to us all. 

Yes. I would think the striker may well be a wide player who can play alongside Ollie. I know there is a number that don't see the fit but Barnes has scored nearly as many Ollie last season in a poor Leicester side playing up top with a mix of Vardy, Daka or Ineacho - just imagine what he could do in a better side with service.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Best goal keeper in the world? Come on he’s not the best in the PL. Take the emotion out of it.

If we had an offer of 70m for Emi it would be a poor business decision to turn it down. We don’t have the endless pot of money some clubs have at some point we will have to turn a profit on certain players to reinvest. That said I’d be gutted if we lost him.

Yet he officially won the award 😉

10 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Yes. I would think the striker may well be a wide player who can play alongside Ollie. I know there is a number that don't see the fit but Barnes has scored nearly as many Ollie last season in a poor Leicester side playing up top with a mix of Vardy, Daka or Ineacho - just imagine what he could do in a better side with service.

He doesn't do any off the ball work like Watkins and Emery said at end of season off the ball work is biggest area he wants to improve. He's also really poor compared to Ramsey who plays same role basically

Edited by Kiwivillan

16 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think we will see a striker/2nd striker come from outside of the PL. I’d be surprised if we took another Leicester player.

19 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

If we had an offer of 70m for Emi it would be a poor business decision to turn it down. We don’t have the endless pot of money some clubs have at some point we will have to turn a profit on certain players to reinvest. That said I’d be gutted if we lost him.

I think it would be poor business to sell him for £70m.  

The best teams tend to have a world class goalkeeper, the foundation of any team and so many teams that just struggle you can many times see they don’t have a good keeper.  

Clubs have so many hit and misses with goalkeepers that when you get a good one you hold to them.  

You would assume we could be spending £100m plus this summer and I would happily forfeit £70m of that not to sell Emi. I know it doesn’t work like that financially but you understand my point.  

Having a goalkeeper of that magnitude is the basis for the team and risking that on the possibility of spending half of that on another goalkeeper that may not work out is crazy imo.  You only have to look at Chelsea’s two goalkeepers to see issues and even De Gea has issues at Man Utd.  

It’s poor business because you’re spending a large chunk to replace him and he’s a difference maker in terms of points and games which leads to more money.  

Keep him! We don’t need to sell if we are aiming to progress which is what we are trying to do. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think we will see a striker/2nd striker come from outside of the PL. I’d be surprised if we took another Leicester player.

The same people that were convinced last week from the Leicester side that Tielemens was signing for us are sure Barnes is also signing for us just a week or two later.  I dismissed their Tielemens claims but they were spot on before it was announced so Barnes coming wouldn’t surprise me.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think it would be poor business to sell him for £70m.  

The best teams tend to have a world class goalkeeper, the foundation of any team and so many teams that just struggle you can many times see they don’t have a good keeper.  

Clubs have so many hit and misses with goalkeepers that when you get a good one you hold to them.  

You would assume we could be spending £100m plus this summer and I would happily forfeit £70m of that not to sell Emi. I know it doesn’t work like that financially but you understand my point.  

Having a goalkeeper of that magnitude is the basis for the team and risking that on the possibility of spending half of that on another goalkeeper that may not work out is crazy imo.  You only have to look at Chelsea’s two goalkeepers to see issues and even De Gea has issues at Man Utd.  

It’s poor business because you’re spending a large chunk to replace him and he’s a difference maker in terms of points and games which leads to more money.  

Keep him! We don’t need to sell if we are aiming to progress which is what we are trying to do. 

Don't disagree. I love him and would want to keep him, although I'm not sure he'll have the longevity of many keepers as he's quite a heavy build. But what if he wants to go??

34 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

And base it on, let's say, an award maybe? ;):P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Don't disagree. I love him and would want to keep him, although I'm not sure he'll have the longevity of many keepers as he's quite a heavy build. But what if he wants to go??

Cross that path when it comes.  Everything he’s said I’d be surprised and especially our progress under Emery.  There would only be a few teams that might get him and I don’t think it would be Chelsea or Spurs, it would have to be a Madrid or City imo, somewhere guaranteed to win trophies.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

No idea about the source but it's so far out of left field that it might be legit.  Benfica's starting keeper to replace Olsen?

Seen a lot of this on twitter this transfer window, and it’s really frustrating. Anyone with 100 followers writes something and then puts a journalist as a source and everybody believes them. Not seen this qql guy mention this keeper or us but people will believe whatever they want 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

He's right up there. Top 5 easy, #1 plenty of the time.

I'm leaning towards your thinking though. Not sure £70m is enough the way prices are now.

£70m is poor business. We don’t need to sell. So why should we take such a figure?! The market is very high and you could easily demand £100m. Given the lack of world class keepers in the league. 

I don't think our model of making money is going to rely on selling our best assets.

Far more likely it will be the likes of Archer, Tim and the likes, similar to Chelseas model.