Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

11 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I would be extremely disappointed with Harvey Barnes.  He's the most Martin O'Neill-type signing we could make besides Dwight McNeil...  English, overpriced, and overrated.  

I’d rather we get Maddison if we’re raiding Leicester 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Might be a recency bias thing, he did score a cracking goal for Leicester against us. Some people only watch Villa and he usually has a good game. 

I’m not expert in the European leagues these days but I wouldn’t want Barnes either. 

Yeah he has played well against us at times. There's no doubt that he's a good player but that's not enough now - Danny Ings was a good player too, but he didn't fit in the system either. Hopefully people will realise that. 

• Like 2

Coutinho has played and started for Inter, Liverpool, Bayern and Brazil yet he's not very good for us. That's a pretty silly way to look at things. 

Obviously Torres would be far better than the likes of Bailey/Traore and could play next to Watkins, I just personally don't think he's the amazing signing that us fans will build him up as after we spend 40 odd million on him. 

For what its worth, I wasn't all that on Moreno initially and look how that went so what do I know. If Unai wants him and he turns out great then fantastic, I'll happily look like a cock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

image.thumb.png.afb87c30e41f36911e998990be28c00c.png

He's been good overall in the games he's started for Spain and Barcelona this season.  His stats have been heavily diluted by his substitution appearances.  He's also been pretty open about his mental health struggles and how seeing a psychologist has helped him tremendously.  

I get the feeling that Emery would be a pretty good boss for someone with some mental health struggles.  Strikes me as being pretty supportive and demanding in a positive way.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I would be extremely disappointed with Harvey Barnes.  He's the most Martin O'Neill-type signing we could make besides Dwight McNeil...  English, overpriced, and overrated.  

For what it’s worth I don’t actually want him either. But he had 25 goals and assists in all comps last season, 17 the season before. He’d be an upgrade on what we have. 

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Coutinho has played and started for Inter, Liverpool, Bayern and Brazil yet he's not very good for us. That's a pretty silly way to look at things. 

Obviously Torres would be far better than the likes of Bailey/Traore and could play next to Watkins, I just personally don't think he's the amazing signing that us fans will build him up as after we spend 40 odd million on him. 

For what its worth, I wasn't all that on Moreno initially and look how that went so what do I know. If Unai wants him and he turns out great then fantastic, I'll happily look like a cock. 

Don’t be too hard on yourself. A majority of football fans (me included) know little about football when compared to the likes of Unai. We all sound off from time to time but then await expert decisions.

As for Torres, you aren't a rotation option for Man City at 20 and a semi-regular for Barcelona by 23 if you're bad at football. The finances just really really work for Barcelona if they sell him very quickly (especially if they want to keep chasing their dream of throwing their finances and long-term future under the bus to sign a 35 year old), and he's not an irreplaceable player. I'd take the opinion of Barcelona fans on Twitter with a pinch of salt, to be honest: it seems built on a really bad finishing spree (which happens in foobtall), and they're one of the worst fanbases going (typical for the top clubs tbh).

Edited by wishywashy

1 minute ago, I Make Pies said:

Feels a bit weird at the moment. Clubs are signing/in talks to sign players already yet there are three games left to go. We don't even know what competitions we will be playing in next year.

This is true of course but we do (or should) know where want to go hence who can help us to get there.

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Who should we pick up from Leicester, Leeds or Southampton when they're relegated.

First choice and 2nd choice please

Going back to this from earlier on, at one time we would have been keen on Ward-Prowse.

However, as we're now kicking on as a club he probably wouldn't be anymore than a fringe player nowadays.

I think that might also be the case for someone like Harvey Barnes.

• Like 1

Hoo boy. I am so excited by the level of player we are currently negging as not good enough for us. I have full faith in the management to bring in the right players but this is going to be some window. 

Next level stuff - shopping in the top level window now. 

• Like 4

Linked to Álex Baena.

https://as.com/futbol/primera/mateu-alemany-busca-talento-en-laliga-para-el-aston-villa-baena-asensio-ferran-n/?ssm=TW_CC

Mateu Alemany will no longer have the last word in making those decisions, nor will he be the person who chooses which players will reinforce Barcelona next season. These functions will fall on the tandem formed by Deco and Jordi Cruyff. The role of Mateu Alemany until his final departure is closer to that of an adviser than that of a football director. This allows him to begin shaping his landing at Aston Villa, his destination from July 1.

In fact, although his signing by the English club is not yet official, Mateu Alemany has begun to mark the roadmap for the Birmingham team in the next summer market. Three of the proper names that he has on his agenda are those of Álex Baena, Marco Asensio and Ferran Torres.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Gosh i hope the lo celso rumours are not true 

Even if it’s a player that Emery wants? Don’t you think he has achieved enough in his 6 months here and more importantly in his managerial career to earn our trust?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Yeah i agree and id certainly prefer nico williams from bilbao or both