Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Of course he wouldn’t choose us in that scenario if Liverpool pay his release.

perfect place for midfielders to sign this summer

That’s if Liverpool pay his release clause, their is not guarantee they are even in for him (neither are we I suppose).

Liverpool have been linked with every midfielder going, they can’t buy everyone.

• Like 3

If we are the only club offering the money it’s not impossible players leave. We weren’t mean to sign Kamara but did. I’m talking generally now. If no other club makes a serious bid there’s no harm in trying. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If we are the only club offering the money it’s not impossible players leave. We weren’t mean to sign Kamara but did. I’m talking generally now. If no other club makes a serious bid there’s no harm in trying. 

Any sporting player would join any premier league club given the opportunity it’s just a question of the players agent trying to get the perceived highest level club to come in for them. I would say if Brentford or West Ham or any of the other smaller sides signed this guy he would he probably trebling his money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I’d go a step further and say if we sell the project, the growth, make the player feel wanted, say build the club around him and all that good stuff we can still get him over other clubs.  

Yes if Liverpool did the same as us with everything you’d expect him to go there given it’s certain he’d start as they have little of a midfield but it doesn’t always work like that.  For example Liverpool may be working on other midfield players and tell him to hold on and he may not want that if we try really hard for him now because he risks Liverpool not coming back in.  

Players are human and there are always more factors than just the obvious that influence them and we can see that with Kamara coming here and Buendia back then who they were saying was going to Arsenal but came to us.  

We aren’t a second best club, we have a fabulous project, play in the best league, great squad, manager etc, top players will be excited to come here.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d go a step further and say if we sell the project, the growth, make the player feel wanted, say build the club around him and all that good stuff we can still get him over other clubs.  

Yes if Liverpool did the same as us with everything you’d expect him to go there given it’s certain he’d start as they have little of a midfield but it doesn’t always work like that.  For example Liverpool may be working on other midfield players and tell him to hold on and he may not want that if we try really hard for him now because he risks Liverpool not coming back in.  

Players are human and there are always more factors than just the obvious that influence them and we can see that with Kamara coming here and Buendia back then who they were saying was going to Arsenal but came to us.  

We aren’t a second best club, we have a fabulous project, play in the best league, great squad, manager etc, top players will be excited to come here.

There is also the agent factor as well (Mendes in the case of Ugarte). If he moves to Liverpool, that's probably the biggest move of his career, the status of their club and his jump in valuation means he probably won't get a bigger move.  Whereas moving to us would potentially be seen as more of a stepping stone, with a move later in his career to City or Madrid. A £50m move to Liverpool now is less lucrative than a £50m move to Villa + a £100m move to City/Madrid in the future.  

• Like 3

I also get the feeling we'll sell a player who has something to offer Villa but will give a boost to our player sales profits. If Boro come up I think we'll sell Archer while probably loaning them Ramsey again. 

It's possible we would entertain offers for quite a few players. Cash, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Bailey, Digne. Given what the offers would be vs their remaining book value I can't see any reason for selling Coutinho/Digne/Bailey. I could see a loan maybe for Couts if he wanted it. We got Dendoncker for such a low price I'm sure an offer of 15m and we'd be interested to sell. 

Cash is interesting. I don't see us selling him as he was performing well before his injury and he offers something different on the right if we opt for a CB as RB in some games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be puzzled if we pay much for an unwanted Spurs player who wants to play for Argentina and no one else.

Exactly. He seems a typical spursy type signing. Can't say I've been impressed when watching him.

A bit "flash" ? Flatters to deceive ? Dunno.....

1 hour ago, sne said:

Lo Celso for Martinez straight swap offer from Levy incoming 😂

Yes, £17m is just the sort of "take it or leave it offer" that Levy would make, make it a swap deal = double bubble for him. :)

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I take it with a huge pinch of salt but the rumoured contract offer to Asensio would demonstrate that we can out bid a lot of clubs in Europe for wages and structured deals. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Exactly. He seems a typical spursy type signing. Can't say I've been impressed when watching him.

A bit "flash" ? Flatters to deceive ? Dunno.....

Yeah - not someone I'd be excited about at all. McGinn is filling his role very well at the moment and provides more versatility and more grit off the ball.

Full faith in Emery of course if he thinks he's the man. I would just expect to pay barely anything as no one else is going to pay Spurs for him. Don't let clubs out of stupid contracts they've given out.

39 minutes ago, duke313 said:

United seemingly interested in Pickford. 

Oh god. Please. Please please please.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be puzzled if we pay much for an unwanted Spurs player who wants to play for Argentina and no one else.

Poor injury record and doesn't really improve on what we've got either. I don't think any truth in it, just the easy Emery link

14 hours ago, burchy said:

I have to admit the Ugarte links surprise me a little as a DM was perhaps on my Winter shortlist and not necessarily a priority as of yet. 

I always thought Emery preferred a holding midfielder and a more deep lying playmaker. I know Ugarte comes with a good rep but is he this deep lying playmaker? I see him as more of a dynamic DM. 

As others have already suggested could this mean Dougie moves LM. I thought we’d be buying a RM and LM this window but perhaps not. 

I would move Dougie further forward, if it was me.....and get a quality  partner for Kamara.

Players of the top level, playing in a pivot, have passing ability anyway....but they have better defensive qualities too.

DLP always sounds a bit passive to me......but UE will do it his way.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

There is also the agent factor as well (Mendes in the case of Ugarte). If he moves to Liverpool, that's probably the biggest move of his career, the status of their club and his jump in valuation means he probably won't get a bigger move.  Whereas moving to us would potentially be seen as more of a stepping stone, with a move later in his career to City or Madrid. A £50m move to Liverpool now is less lucrative than a £50m move to Villa + a £100m move to City/Madrid in the future.  

My understanding is Mendes and Nassef have a good business relationship.

All things considered, that makes sense too.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

My understanding is Mendes and Nassef have a good business relationship.

All things considered, that makes sense too.

Mendes speaks very highly of us reportedly and was a reason we could engage with Felix but couldn’t go further due to him wanting CL football. 

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Mendes speaks very highly of us reportedly and was a reason we could engage with Felix but couldn’t go further due to him wanting CL football. 

...........That went well, didn't it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

United seemingly interested in Pickford.  That puts the Emi rumours to bed, because he's not leaving us for Chelsea or Spurs, United were the only realistic option for him in the PL.

Aren't Man. United signing Raya? He's only got 1 year left on his deal at Brentford so in terms of value that's the best one by miles given he's mid 20s and actually pretty good with ball at his feet which will suit their style.