Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, burchy said:

Agreed, I’d release/sell/listen to offers for all of the 1st team below….

Steer, Olsen (obviously), Chambers, Digne, Dendonker, Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho, Traore, Bailey, Davis, Wesley. I’d keep Young in the squad though for his leadership and professionalism qualities, but have him play less in the league and more in the cups perhaps.

I did say previously I’d listen to offers for McGinn and Buendia, mainly due to the fact I think we’re looking at major players in their positions.

I’d like them to be our bench options next season but in Ginnie’s case he’s 29 next season and it might be the right time to sell, something we’ve not done well previously. It might also help us FFP wise to get a decent fee in perhaps.

He has performed well this season so if we keep him for a few more seasons I wouldn’t be unhappy about it. 

He’s talked admirably about Celtic previously so I could see him going there after Villa. 

I would keep Digne; he has shown himself to be a very able back up for Morena.

Buendia I would definitely keep; I think he is pretty damn good already and he would blossom with better players around him.

I think we will spend big this summer, and also move a lot out.

This would make sense if they are trying to bring in Alemany.

As to FFP, having been involved in it, Purslow will know ways to circumvent it.

Could be a very interesting summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burchy said:

Agreed, I’d release/sell/listen to offers for all of the 1st team below….

Steer, Olsen (obviously), Chambers, Digne, Dendonker, Nakamba, Sanson, Coutinho, Traore, Bailey, Davis, Wesley. I’d keep Young in the squad though for his leadership and professionalism qualities, but have him play less in the league and more in the cups perhaps.

I did say previously I’d listen to offers for McGinn and Buendia, mainly due to the fact I think we’re looking at major players in their positions.

I’d like them to be our bench options next season but in Ginnie’s case he’s 29 next season and it might be the right time to sell, something we’ve not done well previously. It might also help us FFP wise to get a decent fee in perhaps.

He has performed well this season so if we keep him for a few more seasons I wouldn’t be unhappy about it. 

He’s talked admirably about Celtic previously so I could see him going there after Villa. 

I’d take Traore off the list as well as chambers and dendonker.

most of those players are not used anyway but it frees up wages etc

Summarising the trends of the links we've had as well as the comments around Emery/Alemany that we will be looking for a 'forward' , 'winger' , 'dynamic midfielder' and 'right back'.

As well as focusing on La Liga targets that take advantage of the larger than ever financial disparity.

image.png.83def020489ddc669074b240d8377458.png

I'm speculating (hoping) we end up realistically with something like the above.

Lee Kang-In (£15m) Mallorca - Winger that can play on either side, similarities with how Ramsey plays but with a far better technical capability right now, should provide a creator role in the team as well as having strong outlet capabilities. A small touch but as a Spanish speaker would be able to communicate with Moreno from the off. The release clause of around £15m is more than doable for Villa but it feels his hype is accelerating exponentially from Lee carrying Mallorca this season with the likes of Atletico wanting to make a moved allegedly. Alemany promoted him from the youth team at Valencia so you'd feel it's deals like this even with competition that he'll earn his keep on.

Guendouzi (£20m) Marseille - Dynamic midfielder profile, Guendouzi would be an immediate upgrade to McGinn on the withdrawn wide midfield role having played similar interpretations over his time at Marseille. He would provide immediately quality in either CM role and despite him and Kamara already forging a double pivot relationship I wouldn't be eager on breaking up Luiz and Kamara, regardless his profile and ability to cover multiple positions fits the brief. Whilst Matteo is not a La Liga target per se, the links with Emery are well documented and given Marseille's extremely high asking price mid-title push it feels we were told to explicitly wait to the summer. Marseille signed Malinovskyi, a very similar player to Guendouzi in January but was loaned back to Atalanta until the summer. Guendouzi has recently been phased out by Tudor, understood not on the back of bad performances but perhaps preparing for his summer exit.

Fresneda (£20m) Real Valladolid - RB, to me this is the most ambitious target on the list, whilst there has been links, Ivan was by all means signed sealed and delivered to Arsenal in January but did not want to loan him back under Real Valladolid's request. All elite clubs seem to be monitoring right now, at only 18 years old is showing great maturity and has been famed for his defensive capabilities which we know will be what is profiled for the RB in Emery's lopsided shape. What makes me want Fresneda over other defensive RB's such as AWB is his ability in build up which still feels weak down our right hand side. Whilst the fee will likely not be the stumbling block this is a target I'd like to Alemany prove his worth and provide a clear career path into first XI despite his age that will make him choose us over the UCL sides also chasing.

Torres (£40m) Barcelona - Forward that would be a perfect candidate for our second striker role, whilst traditionally has played on either wing Ferran has always been more of an outside forward with poaching instincts. Like Baikey for us he could help provide cover at either wing as well as the forward role. He dribbles from deep and is comfortable with either foot and I think would play off Watkins very well. Out of all the targets, no doubt the biggest name and by all accounts does not want to leave Barcelona. Given one of the reasons he left City despite an impressive campaign was homesick it questions how doable this deal is. Like Lee however Alemany promoted Torres to the Valencia senior team as well as brought him to Barcelona and Emery is a known huge admirer. There will be a lot of random Barcelona links purely because of Alemany but it feels this one has genuine legs and makes sense. Torres would be true marquee signing and whilst the poor form at Barcelona may raise eyebrows at 23 would provide the opportunity to truly build around a star player similar to JG.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WHY said:

100% this, Imagine a player turning down the best league in the world because he can’t play in the back arse of nowhere on a Thursday night. The Premier League is a much bigger pull for players than even the Champions League imo. 

100% this too, but it wouldn't have put a player off joining us either and could well have helped swing the deal for us. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Although i would sell them all i cant see emery making dramatic changes like that in one summer.

I think he will keep either bailey or traore (more likely bailey)

Chambers i think he will keep him as cover.

For me if sanson wants to go then sell, along with hause, davis, nakamba, wesley, olsen and dendonker.

Digne will prob want to leave if nit 1st choice but id keep him as i think he can push moreno

Why? They haven't done as much for me, as some of the players that a lot of us seem willing to let go of. 

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

So sell the entire squad seems to be the overreaction today. 

It does doesn't it? Everything Must Go Stock Illustrations – 54 Everything Must Go Stock  Illustrations, Vectors & Clipart - Dreamstime ;)

• Like 1

Being linked to a fair number of CM's so maybe there is something in that?

Palhinha and Sociedad duo Martin Zubimendi & Mikel Merino mentioned. All would be club record transfers if we signed I imagine.

41 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Summarising the trends of the links we've had as well as the comments around Emery/Alemany that we will be looking for a 'forward' , 'winger' , 'dynamic midfielder' and 'right back'.

As well as focusing on La Liga targets that take advantage of the larger than ever financial disparity.

image.png.83def020489ddc669074b240d8377458.png

I'm speculating (hoping) we end up realistically with something like the above.

Lee Kang-In (£15m) Mallorca - Winger that can play on either side, similarities with how Ramsey plays but with a far better technical capability right now, should provide a creator role in the team as well as having strong outlet capabilities. A small touch but as a Spanish speaker would be able to communicate with Moreno from the off. The release clause of around £15m is more than doable for Villa but it feels his hype is accelerating exponentially from Lee carrying Mallorca this season with the likes of Atletico wanting to make a moved allegedly. Alemany promoted him from the youth team at Valencia so you'd feel it's deals like this even with competition that he'll earn his keep on.

Guendouzi (£20m) Marseille - Dynamic midfielder profile, Guendouzi would be an immediate upgrade to McGinn on the withdrawn wide midfield role having played similar interpretations over his time at Marseille. He would provide immediately quality in either CM role and despite him and Kamara already forging a double pivot relationship I wouldn't be eager on breaking up Luiz and Kamara, regardless his profile and ability to cover multiple positions fits the brief. Whilst Matteo is not a La Liga target per se, the links with Emery are well documented and given Marseille's extremely high asking price mid-title push it feels we were told to explicitly wait to the summer. Marseille signed Malinovskyi, a very similar player to Guendouzi in January but was loaned back to Atalanta until the summer. Guendouzi has recently been phased out by Tudor, understood not on the back of bad performances but perhaps preparing for his summer exit.

Fresneda (£20m) Real Valladolid - RB, to me this is the most ambitious target on the list, whilst there has been links, Ivan was by all means signed sealed and delivered to Arsenal in January but did not want to loan him back under Real Valladolid's request. All elite clubs seem to be monitoring right now, at only 18 years old is showing great maturity and has been famed for his defensive capabilities which we know will be what is profiled for the RB in Emery's lopsided shape. What makes me want Fresneda over other defensive RB's such as AWB is his ability in build up which still feels weak down our right hand side. Whilst the fee will likely not be the stumbling block this is a target I'd like to Alemany prove his worth and provide a clear career path into first XI despite his age that will make him choose us over the UCL sides also chasing.

Torres (£40m) Barcelona - Forward that would be a perfect candidate for our second striker role, whilst traditionally has played on either wing Ferran has always been more of an outside forward with poaching instincts. Like Baikey for us he could help provide cover at either wing as well as the forward role. He dribbles from deep and is comfortable with either foot and I think would play off Watkins very well. Out of all the targets, no doubt the biggest name and by all accounts does not want to leave Barcelona. Given one of the reasons he left City despite an impressive campaign was homesick it questions how doable this deal is. Like Lee however Alemany promoted Torres to the Valencia senior team as well as brought him to Barcelona and Emery is a known huge admirer. There will be a lot of random Barcelona links purely because of Alemany but it feels this one has genuine legs and makes sense. Torres would be true marquee signing and whilst the poor form at Barcelona may raise eyebrows at 23 would provide the opportunity to truly build around a star player similar to JG.

So Emery keeps saying he wants a striker….not a forward but a striker.  

So while Torres has been linked, a lot on the main links for the role you are suggesting has been different type of player like Nico Williams who we have been linked with who I would much prefer to Torres.  While Torres went to Spain for very good money from City, I’m not sure he was suiting English football so I’m not sure about big money spent on him.

Back to the striker though, if there was any chance  of Vlahovic I would jump at that unlikely I doubt he’d come to us but we need another striker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So while Torres has been linked, a lot on the main links for the role you are suggesting has been different type of player like Nico Williams who we have been linked with who I would much prefer to Torres.  While Torres went to Spain for very good money from City, I’m not sure he was suiting English football so I’m not sure about big money spent on him.

Back to the striker though, if there was any chance  of Vlahovic I would jump at that unlikely I doubt he’d come to us but we need another striker.

Torres got 9 goals in 28 league games at City so did Ok in English football and his minutes probably a lot more limited as well

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I can’t remember seeing the quote but a few people on here have mentioned it.

some people need reminding we all have opinions on what and who is needed but we have no idea on the budget for transfers/wages or the wants of the manager.

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I can’t remember seeing the quote but a few people on here have mentioned it.

some people need reminding we all have opinions on what and who is needed but we have no idea on the budget for transfers/wages or the wants of the manager.

That’s fine but what’s the point of ignoring that Emery said recently and end of January he wants a striker because that will cut into the budget of anything anybody is proposing.  

Just as an example if we have £100m to spend, unless free transfer (although no transfer is free with signing on fees and such) you’d expect a striker will be between 25-50% of that budget as a guess.  So their opinion can be adjusted to take into account a striker they think we could get and adjust their budget for other positions depending on the budget they feel we have.  Or they can just ignore me 😂

So while you are right to note people have opinions, it’s right for people to point out like I did, as the poster may not know, that Emery has already said he wants a striker.  That really is the only official info that has come from the club in regards to incomings wanted.

On 06/05/2023 at 12:51, sne said:

Top 10 Who GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

His main attributes are goal scoring ,  dribbling and running......He has scored 1 goal in 13 appearances...and 6 in 26 his career to date.....sure he's only young, but so are ours.

We have Cameron Archer, Jhon Duran and Rory Wilson......?

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Torres got 9 goals in 28 league games at City so did Ok in English football and his minutes probably a lot more limited as well

Yeah but did you watch him?  We aren’t City either, so in that much of a quality side and while he is young he just wasn’t that great.  I can’t argue with the goals but many a player of decency would score in that team.  I just watched him and was never really that impressed and I can only go on what I saw.  Definitely has something but it didn’t look suited to the PL.

• Like 1

Guest av1

With regard to the striker/inside right position I think it’s a very specific role which Emery will be looking for. 

It’s almost a central striker out of possession and a winger/forward in possession. There will be loads of great 9’s that can’t do it, and likewise loads of great wingers that can’t do it. I don’t watch enough “non Villa” football to offer any names, but it’s a very specific skill set we’ll be looking for imo. 

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Mcginn has been good under Emery, but we can't ignore that he has just one goal this season and only a couple of assists. That isn't good enough for a player playing in an advanced midfield role. I like mcginn but I think his role now must only be as an impact sub. Don't think we should sell but we need to upgrade that area of the pitch and that would see his minutes drastically reduced next season. Maybe sell in summer 2024 though. Ramsey is young and will get better but he's starting too many games, next season he needs more competition which will hopefully get more consistency out of him.

Buendia is another one, he is our record transfer but what is he really offering except work rate? Very rarely does he open up a defence and he has scored just 9 goals in two seasons for us. Again I probably wouldn't sell this summer but next season he shouldn't be more than an impact sub in the league. We need to bring in a significant upgrade this summer. Likewise for Bailey, everyone says sell, maybe we should, but I wouldn't be opposed to him being an impact sub next season either. But definitely shouldn't be starting. Watkins I'm 50-50 about, maybe give him another season as main striker, but these periods without scoring are a concern. Konsa needs more competition too and we need a right back. Young is a great professional, but do we want to rely on a 38 year old in defence again next season? No in my view, but definitely give him a coaching role. If we can sell Digne we need another left back too and while Moreno has looked good for the most part (except the last couple of games where he's been poor) he'll be 30 next season so we won't get more than a couple if seasons out of him.

Traore, Coutinho, Chambers, Olsen and all the players on loan (Sanson, Nakamba, Davis, Hause, Wesley etc) need to be sold IMO, none of them have a future at Villa. I'd almost consider with a couple of them, if we can't sell, just release them like we did with Guilbert but that's down to the owners. The young players on loan (Archer, Ramsey, Iroegbunam etc) maybe go on loan again or are integrated.

Buy:

Young backup goalkeeper (eg James Trafford, Bazunu)

Right back (eg Foyth, Dumfries, Geertruida)

Right sided centre back (eg Christensen, Timber) 

Attacking left back (eg Truffert, Tierney)

Central midfielder (eg Guendouzi, Kokcu, Lo Celso)

Creative attacking mid (eg Goncalves, Maddison)

Pacey winger (Williams, Torres)

That's seven new players without buying a new striker so shows the amount of work we have to do this summer if we want to break into the top 4/6 positions. Might well have to do it over two summers (2023 and 2024) as would be very expensive to do it in one summer alone.

So rip the heart of the team by selling 6 starters?

Forest say Hi 👋 

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

So rip the heart of the team by selling 6 starters?

Forest say Hi 👋 

It should be the backup and fringe players we move on this summer and upgrading with real quality where possible.

In turn it puts our current first team main crop into the backup/squad rotation.

I don't think we should be even suggesting selling players like McGinn, Luiz etc. Improve on them though, yes.

• Like 3