Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I think the media are taking the out of context ‘unlimited budget’ and suggested La Liga focus and just throwing names out there. 

I don’t think we’re going for Vlahovic as he’s a bit out of our league at the moment and I think our money, however much is available, should be better spent across a few more positions.

It will be an interesting summer though 😎

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think it's because 4 years ago we were in the Championship, so talk of signing CL players who aren't past it, still seems a bit un-realistic.  If we finish top 4 in the next couple of seasons, then attitudes towards that would almost definitely change.

As were Newcastle in the Championship 6 years ago, and bottom of the league 18 months ago, but things can change very quickly in football.

It is probably a bit early to attract these types of players, but at least we're finally acting like a big club and going for top players, we should have been doing that under Doug or in the early years of Lerner. I remember Spurs before they consistently broke in the top four regularly being linked with players who seemed out of their league, I suppose it is about the vision of attracting these elite players and what we have to do in future to get them here. 

• Like 1

Reading the Barca forum, they seem to think Torres would perform really well under Unai and say he's a good player but not at the level for a team winning league titles. Seem to think he might be an option on loan for us and then a deal at the end of next season for around 30m, certainly would be a good option. Feels unlikely but may happen with this new Barcelona DOF coming in. 

Christensen is very highly rated on there, probably their best performing defender all season, and they prefer him to Kounde and Araujo. So clearly would be a big upgrade on Konsa (as good as he's been under Emery) but would cost at least 50m by the sounds of it so not cheap. Although as Barcelona need to offload players it might be cheaper.

I don't think vlahovic makes much sense. He's a goalscorer no doubt and a great target man but he's not the type of player to help a team control a game. We don't want a player who will maybe shithouse us a few wins against Man City, United or Arsenal we want to play on an even level vs them. 

Plus like Ings before him it would be forcing Watkins out of position or not playing him which just doesn't make sense. We should sign someone who can play off Watkins but also in a pinch play as a lone striker. Plus we just signed Duran who is pretty clearly only a main striker right now and Vlahovic is just squarely in his path and you definitely couldn't play them together even against weaker competition to get Watkins some rest.

Ferran Torres makes a lot of sense in the role Bailey currently occupies but like others I'm leaning towards this being either wild speculation due to the unlimited budget comments or it being a smokescreen to hide our true targets. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I don't think vlahovic makes much sense. He's a goalscorer no doubt and a great target man but he's not the type of player to help a team control a game. We don't want a player who will maybe shithouse us a few wins against Man City, United or Arsenal we want to play on an even level vs them. 

Plus like Ings before him it would be forcing Watkins out of position or not playing him which just doesn't make sense. We should sign someone who can play off Watkins but also in a pinch play as a lone striker. Plus we just signed Duran who is pretty clearly only a main striker right now and Vlahovic is just squarely in his path and you definitely couldn't play them together even against weaker competition to get Watkins some rest.

Ferran Torres makes a lot of sense in the role Bailey currently occupies but like others I'm leaning towards this being either wild speculation due to the unlimited budget comments or it being a smokescreen to hide our true targets. 

I wouldn't listen to the Vlahovic rumours, he's the new Joao Felix. 

Ferran Torres on the other hand sounds interesting, cheaper, and can play in the wider area beside Watkins, an upgrade on Bailey for sure.

Just now, duke313 said:

I wouldn't listen to the Vlahovic rumours, he's the new Joao Felix. 

Ferran Torres on the other hand sounds interesting, cheaper, and can play in the wider area beside Watkins, an upgrade on Bailey for sure.

My point was trying to debunk the vlahovic rumours, if I can see the issues with signing him to play with Watkins I'm sure Emery, Lange (I'm certain Ings was for Smith specifically) and Alemany can 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I don't agree. It's important to have expectations that are rooted in reality, because believing we belong at the top when it hasn't been earned will soon turn to whingeing. There's a fine line between optimism and delusion and the result of goals not being achieved will be disappointment and negativity. 

To play this out in an example, I don't expect us to get Europe this year.

The fact that we're in the running is excellent and shows that not only do we have a great manager, but the squad is good too. At best, we can make Europa League, but conference or not making Europe at all are far more likely outcomes.

As a result, if we don't make Europe, I'm going to focus on all the positives moving forward. The fact that we even found ourselves in that position after the start we had under Gerrard is incredible.

So, logical reasoning active, why would a player like Vlahovic want to go to a club that's not a title challenger, nor in the CL, nor will be for a while? Answer: he wouldn't. That's fine. There's nothing negative about it. It's just being real. 

I appreciate everything you’re saying but equally look where we were less than 5 years ago. Even back in October last year, expectations of having an elite manager and potentially an elite deal maker coming would be crazy. Add that we are now in with a shout of European football from a position of relegation threatened and you’d definitely have called any thoughts of being on our present position unrealistic. 

Our owners absolutely understand that you get nothing from hope without hard work and so does our manager. All three of them are and will continue to work hard. I think they all have big ambitions but it would be unfair to label any of them as unrealistic dreamers. 

2 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

The absolute disrespect leaving Benni McCarthy and Royston Drenthe off this list.

And Dale Stephens.... He's made the ultimate sacrifice of being locked in JulieB's basement for eternity...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I've already added him to the list.

2023 - Dusan Vlahovic

2022 - Joao Felix

2021 - James Ward-Prowse

2020 - Milot Rashica

2019 - Said Benrahma

2018 - Harold Makoudi

2017 - Robbie Brady

2016 - Loic Remy

2015 - Dele Ali

2014 - Hiroshi Kiyotake

2013 - Younes Belhanda

2012 - Wesley Sneijder

I was gutted each and every year but looking at those names now is massively underwhelming. 

Before we all go mental (and it's hard not to, right?), I reckon that our finishing position will have a major effect on our signings this summer. I'm fairly sure we will have an 'in Europe' and 'not quite there yet' list of potential transfers. The first list is very exciting. The second will still be good, but we'll struggle to attract some of the big names, I suspect. 

Just now, skarroki said:

I was gutted each and every year but looking at those names now is massively underwhelming. 

Oof. 2015's pick 😬

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I appreciate everything you’re saying but equally look where we were less than 5 years ago. Even back in October last year, expectations of having an elite manager and potentially an elite deal maker coming would be crazy. Add that we are now in with a shout of European football from a position of relegation threatened and you’d definitely have called any thoughts of being on our present position unrealistic. 

Our owners absolutely understand that you get nothing from hope without hard work and so does our manager. All three of them are and will continue to work hard. I think they all have big ambitions but it would be unfair to label any of them as unrealistic dreamers. 

Yes, and it took 5 years to get to where we are with their excellent leadership. These things take time - the hope is to be able to look at a player of Vlahovic's profile as a realistic target in a few years. 

Just now, HKP90 said:

Before we all go mental (and it's hard not to, right?), I reckon that our finishing position will have a major effect on our signings this summer. I'm fairly sure we will have an 'in Europe' and 'not quite there yet' list of potential transfers. The first list is very exciting. The second will still be good, but we'll struggle to attract some of the big names, I suspect. 

I don't think Ferran Torres or Vlahovic is going to decide not to come here if we don't finish in the illustrious Europe Conference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I'm not so sure. Look at Newcastle with Isak and Botman.

We are a team clearly on the up, with ambitious owners and a top class manager. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our "in Europe" targets were signed regardless of where we now finish.

Just now, duke313 said:

I don't think Ferran Torres or Vlahovic is going to decide not to come here if we don't finish in the illustrious Europe Conference.

TBH I think those names in particular might have other reasons not to come to us. We might be noisy right now, but we're not a consistent top 6 side....yet. 

6 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

And Dale Stephens.... He's made the ultimate sacrifice of being locked in JulieB's basement for eternity...

Dale Stephens walked so Kiyokate run unknowingly into her basement instead