Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

43 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Pretty sure I was reading Ansu Fati was being touted as for sale...

Buy him in an instant, perfect fit for what we need and a world class player

Edited by OhioVilla

I had a quick look at where this Barca guy has been employed and he basically spent a year and a bit working under peter lim at Valencia then got sacked.
He went to Barca when Laporta was re elected so the previous trash policies there weren't his fault.

Other than that he has been at Real Mallorca

• Thanks 1

On 02/05/2023 at 02:29, Monkeypuzzle said:

Ok, I'm gonna do what I said I wouldn't and make some suggestions for one and outs.

Outs: Steer, Olsen, Young, Hause, Chambers, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, Bailey, Coutinho, Davis, Wesley

Ins: Lafont, Dumfries, Pau Torres, Kokcu, Guendouzi, Goncalves, Williams, Thuram

That would give us a squad of 22 great players plus several top youngsters. I'm not saying we will make this many changes, or that we can even afford to, but what a squad that would be! Hell, why not get Merino as well just to be safe. Squad of 23 (24 with Archer).

Martinez          Lafont

Dumfries          Cash

Carlos               Konsa

Pau Torres       Mings

Moreno            Digne

Kamara            Dendoncker

Luiz                   Guendouzi

McGinn             Kokcu

Goncalves        Ramsey

Buendia            Williams

Watkins            Thuram

That is some wish list, no chance we are shipping that many out and that many in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OhioVilla said:

Buy him in an instant, perfect fit for what we need and a world class player

His injury has damaged his development and is far from World class at moment. 

• Like 1

We were linked with Christensen a few days ago. That link makes a lot more sense and actually seems possible now! I would absolutely love Raphinha too. Both are top players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We were linked with Christensen a few days ago. That link makes a lot more sense and actually seems possible now! I would absolutely love Raphinha too. Both are top players.

I can’t see Raphinha leaving them unfortunately. Great player though and would fit our system nicely. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t see Raphinha leaving them unfortunately. Great player though and would fit our system nicely. 

Agreed. He would probably want too much money as well. It’s nice to be in a position where we can at least have these conversations now. It’s only a few years that people were getting excited about the imminent arrival of Ross McCormack!

We do need to aim high though. Quality over quantity. I’d quite happily only sign 2 players this summer if they were at the level of say a Raphinha (just throwing his name out there as an example).

If we bring in a quality support striker and a wide player, our starting XI will be the best it’s been in 25 years. 

If Alemany's appointment is a result of our relationship with Jorge Mendes, we might see more of his clients join us this summer. We've been linked with Joao Felix, Manuel Ugarte and Antonio Silva in the last six months, to name three. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, paul514 said:

Can you name the big 6's third centre forward for me?

I will have a stab at it, how about, Nketiah, Weghorst, Aubameyang, Gakpo and Richarlison?

I know where you are coming from though, although centre forwards as such, are usually described more loosely as "forwards" or "strikers" today and can include wider players. I think we are clearly short of options to Ollie and that should Bailey and/or Traore leave in the summer, and we loan out Duran, then that would be increasingly the case. 

On 02/05/2023 at 07:04, burchy said:

Not a bad list and I agree with a lot of it but think we’d need to box a bit clever for some of it.

Pau Torres is a great player but would cost an arm and a leg and might put Ming’s nose out of joint. I could see us going for someone like Inacio instead, younger, similar stats and wouldn’t upset the apple cart too much if he came onboard. Way cheaper too. 

I’d probably use the same reasoning for the striker role too as Thuram/Dembele would both want loads. Regardless of what we think Watkins seems to be the senior man, especially if we’re about to reward him with a new contract so I see an Openda or similar being chosen instead. 

The thing is with Pau Torres, he is the closest thing to a “Captain” for Emery, he adores him, he was his general and is his favourite player. In a system where control is the #1 he epitomises Emery’s philosophy and his playing range is extremely valuable. I am not suggesting he supplants Mings, but at 26y.o. is younger, almost the perfect age to be front and centre of the revolution, it does have merit. It would be similar to Mourihno’s arrival at Chelsea and insisting on Carvalho as his general (ahem, and Drogba). 

If we have ambitions to compete at a high level we need two very good players at every position,  In Mings, Konsa, hopefully Carlos and someone like Pau Torres we have a decent back line that can provide a rock solid platform for the league and cup competitions. Just look at how Arsenal, and even to some extent Liverpool are suffering fatigue after a long season(s) against the depth and rotation of Man CIty. That’s what prolongs competitiveness over a season.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I had a quick look at where this Barca guy has been employed and he basically spent a year and a bit working under peter lim at Valencia then got sacked.
He went to Barca when Laporta was re elected so the previous trash policies there weren't his fault.

Other than that he has been at Real Mallorca

From what I’ve read about him he seems to be more the negotiator of the deals, rather than the one who identifies or scouts the player. Didn’t we hire a top Spanish scout recently?

1 hour ago, gaz90 said:

If Alemany's appointment is a result of our relationship with Jorge Mendes, we might see more of his clients join us this summer. We've been linked with Joao Felix, Manuel Ugarte and Antonio Silva in the last six months, to name three. 

Makes the Pedro Goncalves deal easier