Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thought Ferguson just signed a new deal in the last few weeks?

Indeed he has and it runs until 2028. Probably has a fee built into it, but it will at least ensure that Brighton get a hefty fee for him, when he does move on to a bigger club (they are the PL's Brentford of a couple of years ago). Looks to have a lot of potential, almost as much as Rory Wilson. ;)

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair, but if a few European clubs get into a bidding war that is going up massively. Didn’t he once try and get €250k a week out of United?

think he was also linked with spurs and nothing materialized because of image rights

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Maybe, but they'll probably lose McAllister and Ferguson (at least) to bigger clubs.

Agree. You can throw lots of other names in there as well. Their ability to replace them looks strong though.

With a game every 3 days or whatever it is, I can definitely see the end of this season blowing up for them. Doesn't mean things are looking incredibly rosy long term.

21 hours ago, KMitch said:

I don't want to be insulting here, but do you even watch football?  He's consistently been one of the best players in Italy over the years when he's been fit.  He even won the Serie A Best Player award in 19/20, in addition to 4 Serie A Team of the Year inclusions over the years.  He went to Roma last summer specifically because of Mourinho when a lot of clubs were in for him.   It's like Villa signing Harry Kane on a free transfer because he's always wanted to work with Emery, then people saying he isn't THAT good because he went to Villa for a season.  

My car is a beauty.....when I get an MOT.😀

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Absolutely pathetic stuff from Football Insider - not sure where to put this - they have zero credibility 

I don't understand, what Organisation?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rich192 said:

If we had the choice of Lo Celso or Guendouzi, I'm backing the former. Guendouzi's form falling off a cliff is a massive negative for me, I don't understand why people are selling it as a benefit for us. Not the sort of mentality I want from a player, and kind of backs up what happened at Arsenal by the sounds of it. Not saying I'd be disappointed if we signed him, but out of the two I'd prefer Lo Celso.

Aren't they quite different in play style? Guendouzi more of an aggressive ball winning, McGinn like player and Lo Celso a more controlled ball player like Luiz? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

will we break our transfer record olr look for cheap bargins

Since Emery took over we’ve mainly been linked with (relatively) cheap players. Funny to see the difference to the Gerrard era when we were constantly linked with big names.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’m really warming to the idea of Lo Celso. We would have pretty great midfield options with aggression from Kamara and McGinn and a high technical level with Lo Celso and Dougie. Emery obviously knows GLC well and he does feel like an Emery player.

dont forget the high technical level of kamara also.

On 27/04/2023 at 16:00, Demitri_C said:

Thuram links seem to have died down. I bet he ends up at Newcastle 

Would he go there as third choice? Isak is better than him and Wilson's goals to games ratio is still pretty good this season and he has that long term trust and understanding with Howe so can't see him being ditched just because they've made CL.

Newcastle imo will go for a younger striker with potential (bit like us with Duran). Last summer they wanted Ekite who went to PSG and also Joao Pedro from Watford. Not sure they'll revisit either but someone of that profile.

If Thuram comes here he can play in a two or just go to CF if Ollie gets injured/rested so feels a better move if we're genuinely interested in him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KMitch said:

I would like Guendouzi to join if the money is right, but if we're going to break the bank for a CM I would love us to go back in for Mikel Merino.  He's soooooo good.

La Real are pretty much a lock to finish top 4 so hard to see him giving up CL football to join us. How long does he had left on his contract?

Dybala's a funny one. Very talented player but his peak was 3-4 years ago now. Think he'd be a bit like Joao Felix if he came to the prem, visually exciting to watch but goals/assists wouldn't meet that standard.

When you think about it he's suffered the most from Ronaldo/Messi domination at top of the game over last five years. Messi presence meant at nearly 30 years ago he's only started about 10-15 Argentina games and been a bench warmer at two World cups and Ronaldo coming in stifled him at Juventus just as he was becoming the main man there.

I thought he'd be one of those in 150-200k bracket aswell so amazed he's only on a basic 70k a week despite moving on a free last summer. Guess there'e plenty of hidden add ons but shows the amounts sloshing around the prem that Dendoncker probably is on more so wages wouldn't be an issue.

When Emi talks about trying to convince mates I think he'll be on about guys like De Paul, Foyth and Joaquin and Angel Correa. All those would improve us in key positions.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree. You can throw lots of other names in there as well. Their ability to replace them looks strong though.

With a game every 3 days or whatever it is, I can definitely see the end of this season blowing up for them. Doesn't mean things are looking incredibly rosy long term.

Moise Caciedo is the one they can't afford to lose. I know he signed a new deal a few weeks ago but that was probably with a bigger buy out clause given the Arsenal interest in January. Can certainly see Liverpool targeting him.

Central midfield is one area where Brighton are lacking given their backup options are Billy Gilmour and Lallana so if they don't sign well there they'll inevitably slip down the table.

Just looked at Lo Celso’s stats compared to McGinn’s and they’re not that dissimilar to be honest with you.

His passing stats are ever so slightly higher, his tackling success rate is also a bit higher than McGinn’s, but that’s about it.

If we want an upgrade at RM I’m not sure he’s the answer, especially if you throw in players like Otavio, Veiga or Szboszlai, who all outperform both McGinn and Lo Celso. 

For me Lo Celso would be the more defensive RM we’d be bringing in, if we didn’t have McGinn and already had an Otavio or Szboszlai. In truth we already have that defensive option in McGinn. 

I’d like us to get a more attacking player in, but one that can also do the graft too.