Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

On 05/03/2023 at 12:35, allani said:

The more I think about it the more I think there was some serious conflict going on between Gerrard and Lange in terms of recruitment.  Lange identifying players that matched our previous strategic approach whereas Gerrard was operating in his circle of knowledge.  I wonder whether this made it difficult to settle on targets and really apply 100% focus on making a deal happen.  Maybe the Board was resisting signing too many experienced players at their "peak" (or past it)?  I think / hope that Emery and Lange will be more aligned - or at least better able to agree on the type of players we should be signing.  Plus I'd be much more confident in Emery saying this is the player we need (and then explaining exactly why) rather than Gerrard saying this is the player we need because he was awesome when I played with him / against him 6 seasons ago.

I've got to the end of both the last 2 transfer windows with a sense of what could have been.  But something tells me that this summer will be different.  It just doesn't make sense for the Board to go and hire an elite manager like Emery unless they are prepared to back him - and it doesn't make sense for Emery to risk his international reputation by signing for a team whose ambitions are to finish 10th or 11th.

My gut tells me that we were really busy in January - couldn't get a couple of deals over the line (due to it being mid-season) but have some agreements in place whereby we announce one or two signings as soon as the summer transfer window opens.  Fingers crossed.

All seems feasible.....I hope you are right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Now that our owners have bought Vitória S.C., I suppose we'll be at the head of the queue for signing Ibrahima Bamba.

Are any of their other players worth a punt?

I think that and Guendouzi(as long as Marseille are reasonable) are pretty much done deals. 

Bamba plays CB/CDM so would be Chambers direct replacement. 

Edited by KAZZAM

Watching Osasuna vs Celta Vigo now Abde looks a decent talent 21 year old Moroccan winger on loan from Barcelona at Osasuna . I imagine with the amount of forward options Barca have it would be difficult for him to break into their squad.

On 05/03/2023 at 15:03, burchy said:

If we offload Digne would anyone go for Maatsen at Burnley. I know he’s a Chelsea player but his stats in the championship (4 goals, 5 assists, 29 games) are decent and the championship is a good standard

I think he'd be a great LB under Emery - highly talented and I've been impressed with him at Burnley.