Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Anyone seen much of Anel Ahmedhodžić this season at Sheff Utd? Seems one of the best centre backs in the championship and I would be looking at him if Sheff Utd don't end up getting promoted. He would suit either centre back replacing Konsa or right back in Emery's formation. 

6'4" and very strong and determined. Very comfortable on the ball and likes to carry it forward. Could be a shrewd summer signing if available 

He’s looked good every time I’ve seen him, although I’d admit that’s not very often. 

Never thought about him as a RB/CB option for us but he is quick and good on the ball so might be a decent fit, only 23 as well.

Where are Sheff Utd in the league now, are they a shoe in for promotion? I know Burnley are but I thought Sheff Utd dropped off a bit. 

32 minutes ago, burchy said:

He’s looked good every time I’ve seen him, although I’d admit that’s not very often. 

Never thought about him as a RB/CB option for us but he is quick and good on the ball so might be a decent fit, only 23 as well.

Where are Sheff Utd in the league now, are they a shoe in for promotion? I know Burnley are but I thought Sheff Utd dropped off a bit. 

Sheff Utd  are 2nd 7 points clear of Boro with a game in hand so I’d say they are a likely to be promoted.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Anyone seen much of Anel Ahmedhodžić this season at Sheff Utd? Seems one of the best centre backs in the championship and I would be looking at him if Sheff Utd don't end up getting promoted. He would suit either centre back replacing Konsa or right back in Emery's formation. 

6'4" and very strong and determined. Very comfortable on the ball and likes to carry it forward. Could be a shrewd summer signing if available 

He's someone I've wanted us to take a punt at for a couple years. Always thought he would turn into a good player. Shame we didn't and shame he opted for Bosnia instead of Sweden. They signed him for £4.5m...

Can't say I've watched him in the Championship thou but apparently he's doing really well.

1 hour ago, sne said:

He's someone I've wanted us to take a punt at for a couple years. Always thought he would turn into a good player. Shame we didn't and shame he opted for Bosnia instead of Sweden. They signed him for £4.5m...

Can't say I've watched him in the Championship thou but apparently he's doing really well.

His stats are high, including his progressive carries and passing stats (2.19 and 3.32). Mings stats are 0.44 and 2.50 in comparison.  

He’s also got good tackles won and interception stats as well as dribbler challenged stats. 

What do we think he’d cost, £15m? £20m?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, burchy said:

His stats are high, including his progressive carries and passing stats (2.19 and 3.32). Mings stats are 0.44 and 2.50 in comparison.  

He’s also got good tackles won and interception stats as well as dribbler challenged stats. 

Really hope Sheff U are not promoted. Absolutely be worth a punt at the right price. Will likely be far more expensive if they are promoted. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, burchy said:

Its the Championship though. Comparison with Mings is a bit unfair considering the differing standards of football. But yes, overall I agree his stats look good.

Sofascore and transfermarkt rate him at about 10m. Seems a bit low.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

6 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

Anyone seen much of  Anel Ahmedhodžić this season at Sheff Utd? Seems one of the best centre backs in the championship and I would be looking at him if Sheff Utd don't end up getting promoted. He would suit either centre back replacing Konsa or right back in Emery's formation. 

The songwriters in the Holte, would run for the hills.

We have not been linked again but just read Arsenal may consider selling Emile Smith-Rowe in the summer… Slighty forgot about him this season. I wonder if we will move again for him if he is indeed potentially available as Emery will know all about him as will the recruitment department. 

15 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Be interesting to watch Joachim Anderson against us this weekend. Ball playing CB and only 26 still. A lot of Palace play starts with him apparently and could suit the Emery style?

We should've signed him when Fulham went down as he was on years loan there and played really well. Available for 20m and Palace snapped him up whereas we got Axel back and that didn't work at all.

Not impossible that Palace would sell but you'd be looking at 35-40m imo. They do have Chris Richards as backup who looked good when he broke into their team in January, another we should've tried to sign two years ago.

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We have not been linked again but just read Arsenal may consider selling Emile Smith-Rowe in the summer… Slighty forgot about him this season. I wonder if we will move again for him if he is indeed potentially available as Emery will know all about him as will the recruitment department. 

Leicester (void when Maddison leaves) will be in for him. He's from Croydon so feels like inevitable Palace interest aswell.

I was big on him 18 months back but feels a bit like Ward Prowse in that he wouldn't improve us that much considering european qualification has to be a target in next 18 months and with Emery's pull we will explore the foreign market a little more than in recent years.

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester (void when Maddison leaves) will be in for him. He's from Croydon so feels like inevitable Palace interest aswell.

I was big on him 18 months back but feels a bit like Ward Prowse in that he wouldn't improve us that much considering european qualification has to be a target in next 18 months and with Emery's pull we will explore the foreign market a little more than in recent years.

Ward prowse is an above average midfielder with leadership skills and great free kick taking.

we have players as good as him technically it’s the leadership/free kicks we should be interested in IF they go down

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Really good player I think.

But barely played in about 18 months?

Plus he's now got a big silly contract we made Arsenal give him. Ha.

We shouldn't be paying the £40m they'll ask for without plenty of caveats in there about appearances for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Ward prowse is an above average midfielder with leadership skills and great free kick taking.

we have players as good as him technically it’s the leadership/free kicks we should be interested in IF they go down

He’s old though, we can’t keep getting expensive players with no resale value. It’s not as if they’re the best anyways. 

39 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He’s old though, we can’t keep getting expensive players with no resale value. It’s not as if they’re the best anyways. 

Depends on the price.

I'm not saying we have to buy him.... You're right, he's 29 next season, he is another short player as well.

If it is financially interesting though, which it probably wouldn't be then it is something to seriously consider.

Personally other than JWP I think it is Liveramento and Bazunu who are the good purchases we could make from a relegated Southampton, although I would bet Bazunu wouldn't want to come to be anything other than first choice from day one.

53 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Depends on the price.

I'm not saying we have to buy him.... You're right, he's 29 next season, he is another short player as well.

If it is financially interesting though, which it probably wouldn't be then it is something to seriously consider.

Personally other than JWP I think it is Liveramento and Bazunu who are the good purchases we could make from a relegated Southampton, although I would bet Bazunu wouldn't want to come to be anything other than first choice from day one.

with regard to JWP, its not all about height, but tbh, having "another" 5ft 8/5ft 9 player in our ranks probably isnt the best idea.

I know height/physicality isnt the be all and end all, but we are severely lacking in height/physicality overall and it shows defensively.

im not against signing less physical players, but if we do, we probably need to compensate elsewhere in the team.

note: before someone loses their mind about blah blah "cloggers", you can get technical AND physical players, ideally we need that imo, or at least we need them somewhere if we dont have it in other areas.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

James Ward Prowse might be one of the best set piece takers in the Premier League, even in the history of the PL, but it's just not that important of a skill. He has scored 17 free kicks in 11 seasons - 326 games. Conversion rates are so low for everyone, that although scoring the odd screamer is great when it happens, it just doesn't happen enough to factor into a decision about signing a player, especially when we already have two players who have scored direct from set pieces this season.

Ward Prowse has also put in 172 crosses this season, but has only been credited with 2 assists. Goal Creating Actions is a far better stat to show how often people are involved in the build up to goals, especially for midfielders, but he has only 5 GCA for the season. McGinn and Luiz both have 7 in significantly less minutes. That just sums Ward Prowse up for me - he's busy without being very effective.

As for his leadership, he's led his team to a couple of 9-0 defeats in recent seasons, and maybe more embarrasingly, to a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Steven Gerrard. Pretty sure they've conceded 6 or 7 a couple of times the last few year as well. He's played alongside plenty of decent defenders and midfielders at Southampton, but they've almost always been terrible defensively. Losing 9-0 in the Premier League isn't just bad defending though. It's capitulation, which isn't exactly a sign of good leadership, especially when it happens more than once.

I'm not saying he's a bad player - I just think he is what he has been his whole career - a decent bottom to mid-table Premier League level midfielder, with a nice party piece. He would do basically nothing to address any of our problems, and would probably add to them by making us smaller in midfield.

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

with regard to JWP, its not all about height, but tbh, having "another" 5ft 8/5ft 9 player in our ranks probably isnt the best idea.

I know height/physicality isnt the be all and end all, but we are severely lacking in height/physicality overall and it shows defensively.

im not against signing less physical players, but if we do, we probably need to compensate elsewhere in the team.

note: before someone loses their mind about blah blah "cloggers", you can get technical AND physical players, ideally we need that imo, or at least we need them somewhere if we dont have it in other areas.

I agree. Mikel Merino, for example, looks a very classy player, but is 6'2" and has won the 4th most Aerial Duals among CMs in the top 5 leagues this season. 68.9% win rate. He would be a great addition if at all possible.

We've conceded the 2nd most goals from set pieces this season. We've only scored the 14th most, which includes the direct ones. We need to add some aerial ability to the team. Carlos for Konsa will hopefully help. Right back and CM are the two other positions it makes the most sense to try and add to that.

• Like 3