Jhon Durán

PieFacE

10 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Us and Brighton might not be taken seriously by the muppets on TV and in the papers but you can bet people actually working in the game like other managers know they will be in for a very hard game.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying we shouldn't expect the average neutral to give a shit or pay attention until we win a trophy (or trophies). Many can't see past the ends of their noses or beyond their own club, it's not surprising. 

Current managers and players is a different story. We're increasing our reputation there.

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Top 1 for a start as that avoids us playing an extra round. Better get the points early

Really? Didn’t realise that. So finish top go straight to last 16?

Maybe I’m underestimating our opponents but I think we should be able to rotate and finish top. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon? We got 6 games to finish top 2. I’d rather we went stronger against Chelsea. 

Not to go OT, but our 2 toughest games are Warsaw and Alkmaar (sic) away. Unai knows 6 points here puts us in very strong position. Could well be wrong but can see him pretty full strength on Thurs as well as Sunday (obvs). 

Interesting ... the Benteke comparisons I've been hearing and reading. Seems a little early for that, but I don't know. I love love love Benteke, but his style got very sophisticated and subtle and precise with Villa, lots of filthy little ground-rollers tucked into the corners. Benteke's famous hattrick versus QPR, for example, was absolutely the essence of three controlled, clinical goals. Duran is a little wilder and more open and passionate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Interesting ... the Benteke comparisons I've been hearing and reading. Seems a little early for that, but I don't know. I love love love Benteke, but his style got very sophisticated and subtle and precise with Villa, lots of filthy little ground-rollers tucked into the corners. Benteke's famous hattrick versus QPR, for example, was absolutely the essence of three controlled, clinical goals. Duran is a little wilder and more open and passionate.

His first goal was eerily similar to Benteke's debut goal, and the one on Saturday reminded me of Benteke's overhead kick Vs Norwich. But yeah other than that, they're not very similar at all. Everything Benteke did was calculated and deliberate. Controlled aggression. Duran is way more erratic right now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? Didn’t realise that. So finish top go straight to last 16?

Maybe I’m underestimating our opponents but I think we should be able to rotate and finish top. 

yeah this is indeed correct. we want to get this group won early so i can definitely see the likes of ollie starting and maybe 1 or 2 changes i.e lenglet, tielmans, moreno

perfect chance for him to get back on the scoresheet too

duran will get plenty of minutes in this competition though, especially the last couple of group games after we've (hopefully) already won the group

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

He seemed to get two yellow cards for separate incidents in the last few minutes against palace but the ref didn’t give him a red with the second. Did anyone else notice this? It looked odd. 

Yeah I thought it was odd, assumed the first one must have been Bailey or whoever was next to him at the time. 

46 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

After his last couple of outings,Im suprised he hasent start a PL game yet.

No need to rush him. We know Ollie can (and will) score. It’s good for Duran to wait and to make an impact in other ways.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

After his last couple of outings,Im suprised he hasent start a PL game yet.

Seems a matter of time. It is enormous pressure for a younger person, but he’s a Colombian international and could even be someone who will peak younger than older — it does happen. He’s not 17, which is just too young for Premier League if you ask me. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Seems a matter of time. It is enormous pressure for a younger person, but he’s a Colombian international and could even be someone who will peak younger than older — it does happen. He’s not 17, which is just too young for Premier League if you ask me. 

He may be just 19 but he's built like a full-grown adult so he definitely has the physicality to make it at a young age. Looks to my like his confidence is also helping him out so I think that he won't have much problem dealing with the pressure of starting for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

His first goal was eerily similar to Benteke's debut goal, and the one on Saturday reminded me of Benteke's overhead kick Vs Norwich. But yeah other than that, they're not very similar at all. Everything Benteke did was calculated and deliberate. Controlled aggression. Duran is way more erratic right now. 

Off topic: I know every player is their own player and have their own universes to deal with, but it sure sounds like Ollie could learn a thing or two from Benteke about being clinical. 

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

He may be just 19 but he's built like a full-grown adult so he definitely has the physicality to make it at a young age. Looks to my like his confidence is also helping him out so I think that he won't have much problem dealing with the pressure of starting for us.

Yes, very physical, but also, I kind of think his size gets curiously overstated at times, not sure why. He's "only" 6'1" and just over 160 lbs. Smaller than Benteke, for sure.

He's an amazing signing in any case. When you look at his rise from Envigado in Colombia, you see that he's also someone who genuinely admires Villa, too. That's amazing. Can't think of lots of players who arrive at Villa from overseas who genuinely seemed interested in us before any offer came. Not necessary for good football, but it maybe adds that extra bit of magic when you know the player's respect for the badge runs deep?

I've seen comparisons to Benteke and also a young Zlatan, but Duran seems to me a much more South American-style player -- he's got that bit of "flair" but nothing extreme. He's never style over substance. The player whose style he most reminds me of has to be Falcao: A "sniper" but one who makes sudden, rapid, at times teetering or rough approaches to his "shooting position" in the opposition's third and never wastes time before firing. Occasional cheeky chips and great aerial game. Total cognitive dissonance here, but I keep thinking of a kind of rushed biathlon shooter who moves very fast lol. He doesn't dawdle in front of goal, doesn't second-guess himself, isn't afraid of a volley, and sometimes it really pays off. I think we're extremely fortunate to have this kid, and I can't wait to see what his future brings.

One of these players is Jhon Jáder Durán, whose story -- even at 19 years old -- is an inspiring tale of football development and everything Edwards is talking about. Durán, now at Aston Villa after joining from the Chicago Fire in January, also represents Lorenzo's sentiments of "mentality" and alongside other young prospects, Colombia can hopefully look ahead to a future that brings bright results. For Villa, Durán -- who started his football career at Envigado -- represents the future and a fountain of possibilities for young South American stars who have never had a better chance at making it in Europe and beyond. It's early days but if patience is applied, the riches of this work can be seen throughout many years to come.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â