Jhon Durán

PieFacE

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yes I do

I don't think he's a better player though, not even close

Archer doesn't get those chances that Ollie gets because his positioning, movement or ability to play off the defender isn't as good

Archer would not score as many goals as Watkins let alone have the overall impact on us as what Watkins does

I think archers better than duran and selling him is the wrong decision but trying to compare him with Watkins is daft

Watkins doesn't make 'killer runs'. Ings does, that's why Buendia used to thrive playing with Ings in front of him. Archer does also.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

That’s not really a tweak though. Neither of them are number 9s.

We'd just have to play a little differently. Diaby would be excellent at coming short (compared to Ollie wanting balls played early and attempting to run behind defences) so I think Diaby CF and that should create extra space for someone like Ramsey on the left once he's backed.

I wanted Cam to stay but not sure this game that was lost in first 20 minutes is the best example to highlight this.

Duran is raw as we all know but he's shown in last few weeks he can score and contribute v weaker opposition so he should be capable of starting three of the europa games and also the Everton league cup match to rest Ollie's legs for league games.

What struck me today is how quick he is. He took a couple of silly wild shots but we can forgive those because we were in Roy of the Rovers territory in terms of getting anything from the game.

I also thought he didn't do too badly with using his body and his passing with back to goal.  While he is obviously still extremely raw, with his recent appearances I am beginning to see how he could become very useful indeed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

No proof of that as he wasnt given a chance

I think Archer was expecting regular game time.

The odd cup game wouldn't have been acceptable for him.

Even if we wanted to keep him he still would have wanted to leave.

Equal quality cover in every position is a fantasy and it won't work. If a quality player isn't regularly playing chances are they are gonna want to leave. Not fight for their place.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BigJim said:

What struck me today is how quick he is. He took a couple of silly wild shots but we can forgive those because we were in Roy of the Rovers territory in terms of getting anything from the game.

I also thought he didn't do too badly with using his body and his passing with back to goal.  While he is obviously still extremely raw, with his recent appearances I am beginning to see how he could become very useful indeed.

Agree with all of this.

The panic is a little absurd and very knee-jerk as usual.

He's got all of the tools to be played against competition we should beat and the occasional substitute wild card in high pressure games.

Good for his development if he gets about 10 starts this season with lots of substitute appearances.

He is weird, some of his touches says he’s not even a professional player, but again some of his finishing and plays turns out to be perfect. I’m not talking about his nonsense shots as he’s trying to impress at any cost, but some blindly runs and bad touches. But to be fair even Watkins used to have those touches (well still does as well but improved). 
When you see him playing with his national team, and remember that he’s actually 1 or even 2 years younger than Archer, you’d still be hopeful about his ceiling. 
For me he’s either going to be up there with our best strikers (which isn’t a miracle achievement to be honest), or he’d fall apart. I’m hoping for the first one, we’ve invested a huge amount (considering his age and league he came from). Seems an Emery player as well.

7 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Your regular reminder that Jhon Duran is a whole two years younger than Archer (who was playing on loan at Preston at Jhon’s age) and is 6 months younger than Louie Barry.

This kid is humble, doesn’t appear to shirk the hard work and is blessed to have the opportunity to work with Emery and to have other positive role models in the squad. I’m absolutely convinced he’s going to be Benteke level for us barring any serious injury.

89 top flight appearances and 6 international caps... He's doing something right

He needs to mature as much as anything, lose that his enthusiasm can lead to rashness especially in how he closes down and challenges defenders

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Your regular reminder that Jhon Duran is a whole two years younger than Archer (who was playing on loan at Preston at Jhon’s age) and is 6 months younger than Louie Barry.

This kid is humble, doesn’t appear to shirk the hard work and is blessed to have the opportunity to work with Emery and to have other positive role models in the squad. I’m absolutely convinced he’s going to be Benteke level for us barring any serious injury.

I hear the first part of your post, but being convinced already that he'll be Benteke level is a strong take.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

89 top flight appearances and 6 international caps... He's doing something right

He needs to mature as much as anything, lose that his enthusiasm can lead to rashness especially in how he closes down and challenges defenders

And the bloody shots from mental positions. Get em gone. 

Unless we're 4-0 up, then I'll allow it because they are so funny.

Â