Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

23 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What was the drone incident? For those that didn't see the game? 

The game was suspended for 9mins after a drone was spotted flying above the ground. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Better than Digne going forward but defensively he looked a bit shaky at times today.

Exactly what I expected when we signed him to be honest. 

Yup, that's Alex. I like him better than Digne though. And he can improve markedly still after some time in PL.

On 21/01/2023 at 21:04, VillaParkAvenue said:

He’ll most likely improve after only being in the country for a week, but he really had a hard time defensively in the second half today. I know Digne isn’t popular these days but for me he could still be first choice.

Oh well, we’ll see.

I agree. Both of Southampton's good chances (the Armstrong save from Martinez & the JWP disallowed goal) came from his flank. The first started from his really heavy touch when he was trying to intercept, which he lost and then was massively out of position. The second one was from Walker-Peters beating him all ends up (even though Walker-Peters squares him up from a stationary start, he still dribbles around him). He's then five yards away from blocking the cross.

I agree he needs time, definitely not writing him off and hopefully he'll improve as he adapts. It's still better than anything I ever saw from Augustinsson - but Digne is ahead of him for me.  

I like him, i think if you want him playing that advanced though expect some mistakes. In possession it seems like he drops into the midfield and Young, Konsa and Mings form a back 3. At times he was in a more advanced position that Watkins and Bailey. I think this sort of signing was to allow us to play a different way, hes not directly comparable with Digne.

Against Southampton Luiz was dropping into left-back position to allow Moreno to go forward.

It was similar to how Gerrard when first arrived had Ramsey and McGinn dropping into the fullback areas to allow Digne and Cash to get forward, but Emery doing it on just the left side, and he's using Luiz to do the covering rather than more attacking midfielders like Ramsy and McGinn.

13 hours ago, useless said:

Against Southampton Luiz was dropping into left-back position to allow Moreno to go forward.

It was similar to how Gerrard when first arrived had Ramsey and McGinn dropping into the fullback areas to allow Digne and Cash to get forward, but Emery doing it on just the left side, and he's using Luiz to do the covering rather than more attacking midfielders like Ramsy and McGinn.

I thought it was more of a back 3 in the final third , Bailey providing the width on the right and Moreno on the left.

• 2 weeks later...
Â