Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/23 at 23:59

Awful first half but strangely I wasn’t too concerned as I guessed that Emery would change it up at half time in reaction and so it proved. Second half still not great tbf but much better and we deserved our point in the end. Wolves we’re nothing special but we were even worse for much the game so it feels a bit of a missed opportunity.

Bailey, Digne and Buendía extremely poor all game, Cash a disaster in midfield but much better at full back. Luiz and Watkins very average too. On the flip side All the subs were great. Overall we seemed very half-speed and tired - our press was extremely half-arsed. Poor decision making all over the park all game and the quality of passing shocking as well. Basically we seemed mentally and physically tired and I guess that was a reaction to many games in rapid succession. The subs looked way fresher and improved us immensely. Need to give several players a rest I think against Stevenage to freshen up for the next league game.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Booing at half time when Emery has won 3 out of 4 prem games is embarrassing. What must Emery be thinking. And the argument of “we pay the money so we can do what we want” is tragic. I know the high expectations has always been there but when did we become so entitled. The players must have been baffled at half time. Not really surprising we were better without fans in the ground.

Have a look at the match thread if you really want to despair.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Don't mind the point on an off-day. Good adjustments and subs by Emery in the second half.  Learning not to lose is part of the process.

Also, with that small squad and injuries, been a great run despite 3 games in 10 days. Plenty of positives moving forward. 

I wouldn't blame any individual for that, it was a collective, passive display, particularly first half.....We stood off them and gifted them space....when we had the ball 2/3 closed us down, they worked harder off the ball.

As soon as opposing players get in our faces, we go to pieces.....a complete contrast from Sundays showing.I am commenting on this game alone, Not Unai's time with us, which is good.

I don't think its a bad day at the office at all.....its in our DNA.....and we can't seem to build, because of it.

I fear, only surgery, will change it.....and even then, they have to be the right players.

PS Not losing is a massive plus.

Edited by TRO

50 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Booing at half time when Emery has won 3 out of 4 prem games is embarrassing. What must Emery be thinking. And the argument of “we pay the money so we can do what we want” is tragic. I know the high expectations has always been there but when did we become so entitled. The players must have been baffled at half time. Not really surprising we were better without fans in the ground.

The contrast, with Sundays Performance was bewildering.....The fans were entitled to voice their opinion.

I don't boo at games, but if folk feel it necessary to express their feelings, a first half like that fits and understandable.

I suspect the fans were reacting to this game alone, not Unai's tenure.

If we are to progress, consistency is key........winning a couple and losing a couple, is not what we seek......In this case that first half, was well below a standard, Unai is trying to set, and the fans let them know.

We can't progress, with excuses......call it like it is.

PS back to back wins, is something we have to try to secure, to progress.

13 hours ago, jim said:

Awful first half much better second.

I don’t want to see Bailey start for us again.

too many lightweights, in that team last night.

We haven't got the credentials to do a Newcastle or a Fulham...not yet, anyway.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, maxjackle said:

Liked the subs but should have gone further and taken bailey and buendia off as well. Probably didnt due to the weak bench options.

We simply haven't got enough players.

If we are looking to sell, before we buy....HDE must still be looking after the books.

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

Poor first half, better second half

Thank god for Ings…shame some think he should be sold when he can come on and do that.

He shouldn't be sold Nick.

We are not good enough, to sell Danny Ings.....and if we have to sell him, in order to buy, I think we have a problem.

We should be buying, and let the cream rise to the top and then sell, if necessary.

With our record...... selling him could be tantamount to shooting ourselves in the foot.

• Like 1

I didn't go last night, because I have the lurgy.

but I could see that coming......and I can see it happening again, too.

I simply, couldn't see, a tremendous perfomance, like we had on Sunday, being unfolded.

They thought, they could cut short the hard running off the ball, and let their talent take them through......er wrong.

by the time, they relalised they were being outplayed, the momentum was hard to recover.....They had inadvertently passed the initiative to Wolves, in the early exchanges, and wasn't playing in a way to seize it back.

Unai, looked shell shocked, during that first half......and I don't blame him.

These are mentality and work ethic issues......that takes time and surgery.

There were no leaders in the front 6 to rally the troops.....we did miss McGinn.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Shirtman said:

Brilliant in defence. Crap in front of them. Kamara sometimes good. Sometimes irrelevant

I thought Luiz, could have done better on Podence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, useless said:

Most harrowing draw ever, too sad too cry, just lying on my side on the floor starring, not even enough energy to blink, want to dissolve into the ground. The stars will never shine again.

just brace yourself for the next one.....stay down, it might not be too long a wait.

13 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Dissapointed about the drop off from the Spurs performance but won’t be getting fatalistic about it. 10 from 15 points . We’d of all took that. 

The thing is, we are talking about this game, not Unai's tenure...( just a polite observation, not a criticism)

He has a great start, but this thread is asking us to comment on last nights game......sadly.

not trying to be picky.....but last night showed, the job he has, in its true light.

We are inconsistent, and our contrasting perfomances are stark.

This has been an issue for some time....its nothing new and I am certainly not blaming the manager.

He is a top manager, but even he can't perform miracles......This team needs strengthening, and without that support, he will struggle, to get us consistent.

I will wait, to see who comes in and play, before, I form any firm opinions.....but we need faces.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Adman said:

That was a game we would have lost 99 times out a 100 under previous regimes.  Great to get the draw in the end, shame it couldnt be the win but not the end of the world.  Quite a few poor performances, Ming's MOM for me

quite frankly, I don't know, how we got the draw......just a moment of blissful play.

They must be cursing themselves....A draw, snatched from the jaws of defeat.

Gotcha back, Wolves.

Â