Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/23 at 23:59

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't agree with parts of this @TRO - I thought the two performances, against Liverpool and Wolves were almost polar opposites - against Liverpool we took responsibility, claimed the initiative and took the game to them - we moved the ball really well and we created a load of chances. That leaves us a bit open at the back with the high line and if you don't take those chances, you end up losing the game - as happened. Our overall play though was excellent.

Last night was different, and particularly in that first half, where I agree, we should be concerned. It was the first time really under Emery where we've played a team who chose not to try to impose their style or tactical approach on us, who instead focused on stopping us doing what we do - and I think you have to give them a lot of credit for the plan they had to do that, they were really good at outnumbering us in key areas and preventing us getting out.

We now have a plan A and we've clearly worked very hard on it, we build from the back through Luiz and Kamara and can use the full backs to help us make our way out - Wolves put a lot of men into stopping that and we couldn't find an alternative. 

That's going to happen, teams are going to start thinking about stopping us first rather than just beating us and we need to have both the extra quality that will help us find ways out or a series of different plans that we can use when Plan A isn't working.

In terms of individuals (and here we're on to your favourite subject; character) there's a responsibility on good players to find their own ways to do things if Plan A isn't working - the likes of Ashely Young, Mings, Digne, Ings, Coutinho and our more experienced players ought to be able to see that things aren't working, go back though what they know and come up with things that can work - good players are able to find ways themselves to get things done, not just follow schemes. There's an argument to say that's what happened in the end as Mings and Ings figured quite late on that balls over the top could beat a Wolves back line lacking pace, but in the first half there's a real concern that following the failure of Plan A they looked lost, frustrated and confused - no one stepped up and said "this isn't working, right lads, follow me". They looked a little like rabbits in the headlights and no amount of rushing around or clapping their hands at each other could overcome the idea that they couldn't see a way to change the game.

So, yes, I'd agree that the first half raises some concerns, concerns that can be overcome on the training ground and in the market, or maybe just with the time to become completely au fait with instructions and take on the information for Plan B and Plan C - it might become a valuable lesson for the future. I can't agree that it's down to us being a team that don't want to take responsibility for taking the game to the opposition or that the Liverpool game is anything other than evidence that that's exactly what we do want to do and are trying.

Lopetegui got the drop on us and we didn't react well, Liverpool got into a shootout with us and we didn't take our chances. Different problems I think.

Totally agree with your assessment that Mings* figured out what could beat the stubborn Wolves defence.I’ve been saying this to my Wolves colleagues today.

*however there is a possibility that this Indy was passed to him from the bench when Ings came on…

Just now, MarkLillis said:

Totally agree with your assessment that Mings* figured out what could beat the stubborn Wolves defence.I’ve been saying this to my Wolves colleagues today.

*however there is a possibility that this Indy was passed to him from the bench when Ings came on…

Absolutely - and I think it was an Ings ball for Bailey at the end, so whoever figured it out, they were all going to give it a go. It's just a pity that it took us so long to find a way.

4 minutes ago, AstonMartyn88 said:

Gives them a reason to be there. As the players do for the supporters 

Sky have given the players a reason to be there since 1992. 
Last year (2021-2022) only £700M of the £5,400M received by Premier league clubs came from matchday revenue. 

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't agree with parts of this @TRO - I thought the two performances, against Liverpool and Wolves were almost polar opposites - against Liverpool we took responsibility, claimed the initiative and took the game to them - we moved the ball really well and we created a load of chances. That leaves us a bit open at the back with the high line and if you don't take those chances, you end up losing the game - as happened. Our overall play though was excellent.

Last night was different, and particularly in that first half, where I agree, we should be concerned. It was the first time really under Emery where we've played a team who chose not to try to impose their style or tactical approach on us, who instead focused on stopping us doing what we do - and I think you have to give them a lot of credit for the plan they had to do that, they were really good at outnumbering us in key areas and preventing us getting out.

We now have a plan A and we've clearly worked very hard on it, we build from the back through Luiz and Kamara and can use the full backs to help us make our way out - Wolves put a lot of men into stopping that and we couldn't find an alternative. 

That's going to happen, teams are going to start thinking about stopping us first rather than just beating us and we need to have both the extra quality that will help us find ways out or a series of different plans that we can use when Plan A isn't working.

In terms of individuals (and here we're on to your favourite subject; character) there's a responsibility on good players to find their own ways to do things if Plan A isn't working - the likes of Ashely Young, Mings, Digne, Ings, Coutinho and our more experienced players ought to be able to see that things aren't working, go back though what they know and come up with things that can work - good players are able to find ways themselves to get things done, not just follow schemes. There's an argument to say that's what happened in the end as Mings and Ings figured quite late on that balls over the top could beat a Wolves back line lacking pace, but in the first half there's a real concern that following the failure of Plan A they looked lost, frustrated and confused - no one stepped up and said "this isn't working, right lads, follow me". They looked a little like rabbits in the headlights and no amount of rushing around or clapping their hands at each other could overcome the idea that they couldn't see a way to change the game.

So, yes, I'd agree that the first half raises some concerns, concerns that can be overcome on the training ground and in the market, or maybe just with the time to become completely au fait with instructions and take on the information for Plan B and Plan C - it might become a valuable lesson for the future. I can't agree that it's down to us being a team that don't want to take responsibility for taking the game to the opposition or that the Liverpool game is anything other than evidence that that's exactly what we do want to do and are trying.

Lopetegui got the drop on us and we didn't react well, Liverpool got into a shootout with us and we didn't take our chances. Different problems I think.

Brian, I accept your view, and while i agree with some things, I am not in agreement with others.

Let me explain the first paragraph......Both games we let the opposition come at us, that to me is a similar scenario.....Against Liverpool, they scored so early, and not the first time we have been on the end of that type of goal, failing to cut out the plucky cross, so,so familiar.....That changed any game plan we had and yes the highline disappeard only to be replaced by standing off and no pressing.

Against Wolves, we did the same again, allowed them to come out the traps, and seize the initiative.....out come, early goal conceded again......After the great win at Spurs, this was bound to be their tactic, and over we roll, to get our belly tickled.....par for the course.

These goals were coming, in both cases, if you stand off teams, they will do this......we didn't against Spurs, we stopped them playing and grew in to the game, thats what should have happened last night.

I hear the presented arguments of such and such a manager getting our number, tactically outwitting us.....but why doesn't it happen so often, with teams above us like Fulham, Brighton or Newcastle?.....why aren't teams stopping them, with the ease they do with us.

I am happy with our new manager, but he seemed as miffed as we was.

I here the narrative of things take time......they do, and I am not arguing with it......but in no time, for preparing with the new manager, we beat the form team in the league right now, and controlled much of the game.

Sorry Mate, but we indulge, in too many excuses.....This team can do it, but are so easily derailed.

I think we got away lightly last night.....but if we want consistency, we won't get it playing like that first half.....Unai's face, was like he had just witnessed a nuclear bomb blast.

If I am being honest, and I don't want to labour the point....I thought we had shifted from that ugly showing, even though knowing there is plenty of work to do.

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely - and I think it was an Ings ball for Bailey at the end, so whoever figured it out, they were all going to give it a go. It's just a pity that it took us so long to find a way.

we copied what Liverpool and Man U ( cup) did to us....with the long ball.

just kidding, I have no idea who's sensible plan it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinker said:

I see your point on seeing it coming, it was never going to be easy their desperate for points and have a decent squad and a fresh manager. I didn't predict the score because I didn't want to be negative.

What I didn't predict was the the way we came back into the game, how often have we came back from losing at half time at home? 

Did you predict the second half come back

No, I was just relieved....I didn't have such fine detail in my thoughts.....but the overall play, I suspected.

I don't think its over yet, either.

I can see another really good performance, and another stinker to follow, not far behind.

Edited by TRO

The ball over the top only really worked because Wolves were in transition and were tiring out by the end.

In the first half, we tried some of those balls over the top where Watkins couldn't get the best of Collins and they were more switched on. We played some balls deep to Bailey and Cash but Wolves stayed with it more.

Is what it is and I think Unai will have a nasty surprise for them in the reverse fixture.

• Like 1

Thoughts

Martinez........top class. No far off MOM last night.Makes saves that keep you in the game

Young and Digne.....both got a lot of stick last night, but i think the Wolves tactics were to overload the wings, and they threatened a lot down the wings. They had a lot of pace Wolves, and we struggled with that. But i thought they was ok. Digne put a lovely cross over for Bailey, who should have done a lot better. FBs aren't an issue for me.

Konsa and Mings......gave Mings MOM, thought they looked quite solid against a rapid team. Granted Costa is finished, but coped well.

Cash.......didn't really work in midfield, better at RB

Luiz......good as he was Sunday, he was as bad last night. His fault for the goal, very pedestrian last night. As someone said earlier hes a bit Plan A, which worked on Sunday, but not able to adapt to plan B

Kamara........build the team around him, not his best game, but still our best midfielder. Keeps the ball very well, and looks to be a lot more positive, quicker, than Luiz does.

Watkins and Bailey........run arond a lot, Bailey improved dramatically in the 2nd half. Both want too many touches. For us to develop, they both need replacing.

Emi, and PC........looked better in the 2nd half when they both wanted to get on the ball. For me you need at least one of these kind of players in the team. Emi is not having the best of times, and i'm not sure tbh he is good enough, bt would like to see him with better quality/movement upfront. PC is a lovely footballer, not sure we'll see the best of him, but if there is any player i want to succeed its him.

Ings..........shows moments of real quality, best finisher at the club, hopefully he can pass as much as his ability onto Archer, who i think is also a very good finisher.

Overall, i don't think we did enough to deserve to win, but as someone said earlier, we would have lost that game the majority of the last few years.

Last night might have done us a favour, it might have highlighted to Emery that we need strengthening now

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Brian, I accept your view, and while i agree with some things, I am not in agreement with others.

Let me explain the first paragraph......Both games we let the opposition come at us, that to me is a similar scenario.....Against Liverpool, they scored so early, and not the first time we have been on the end of that type of goal, failing to cut out the plucky cross, so,so familiar.....That changed any game plan we had and yes the highline disappeard only to be replaced by standing off and no pressing.

Against Wolves, we did the same again, allowed them to come out the traps, and seize the initiative.....out come, early goal conceded again......After the great win at Spurs, this was bound to be their tactic, and over we roll, to get our belly tickled.....par for the course.

These goals were coming, in both cases, if you stand off teams, they will do this......we didn't against Spurs, we stopped them playing and grew in to the game, thats what should have happened last night.

I hear the presented arguments of such and such a manager getting our number, tactically outwitting us.....but why doesn't it happen so often, with teams above us like Fulham, Brighton or Newcastle?.....why aren't teams stopping them, with the ease they do with us.

I am happy with our new manager, but he seemed as miffed as we was.

I here the narrative of things take time......they do, and I am not arguing with it......but in no time, for preparing with the new manager, we beat the form team in the league right now, and controlled much of the game.

Sorry Mate, but we indulge, in too many excuses.....This team can do it, but are so easily derailed.

I think we got away lightly last night.....but if we want consistency, we won't get it playing like that first half.....Unai's face, was like he had just witnessed a nuclear bomb blast.

If I am being honest, and I don't want to labour the point....I thought we had shifted from that ugly showing, even though knowing there is plenty of work to do.

I too noticed how angry the manager looked going in at half- time, but he made a good decision in bringing Phil on for AY. I thought Phil injected a bit of pace to our offensive effort and was always looking to make things happen. Admittedly, we weren't great but the commitment and effort in that second half was deservedly rewarded with a delightfully taken goal by Ings, another positive substitution by the manager. 

I can't help thinking that under our previous managers, we wouldn't have got the fight that was on offer in that second half . 

I'm certainly not coming away from the game thinking we are in for an up - hill struggle. For me, there are plenty reasons to be cheerful. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Thoughts

Martinez........top class. No far off MOM last night.Makes saves that keep you in the game

Young and Digne.....both got a lot of stick last night, but i think the Wolves tactics were to overload the wings, and they threatened a lot down the wings. They had a lot of pace Wolves, and we struggled with that. But i thought they was ok. Digne put a lovely cross over for Bailey, who should have done a lot better. FBs aren't an issue for me.

Konsa and Mings......gave Mings MOM, thought they looked quite solid against a rapid team. Granted Costa is finished, but coped well.

Cash.......didn't really work in midfield, better at RB

Luiz......good as he was Sunday, he was as bad last night. His fault for the goal, very pedestrian last night. As someone said earlier hes a bit Plan A, which worked on Sunday, but not able to adapt to plan B

Kamara........build the team around him, not his best game, but still our best midfielder. Keeps the ball very well, and looks to be a lot more positive, quicker, than Luiz does.

Watkins and Bailey........run arond a lot, Bailey improved dramatically in the 2nd half. Both want too many touches. For us to develop, they both need replacing.

Emi, and PC........looked better in the 2nd half when they both wanted to get on the ball. For me you need at least one of these kind of players in the team. Emi is not having the best of times, and i'm not sure tbh he is good enough, bt would like to see him with better quality/movement upfront. PC is a lovely footballer, not sure we'll see the best of him, but if there is any player i want to succeed its him.

Ings..........shows moments of real quality, best finisher at the club, hopefully he can pass as much as his ability onto Archer, who i think is also a very good finisher.

Overall, i don't think we did enough to deserve to win, but as someone said earlier, we would have lost that game the majority of the last few years.

Last night might have done us a favour, it might have highlighted to Emery that we need strengthening now

Totally agree with the Phil comment. He is a pleasure to watch at times. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

No, I was just relieved....I didn't have such fine detail in my thoughts.....but the overall play, I suspected.

I don't think its over yet, either.

I can see another really good performance, and another stinker to follow, not far behind.

On the balance of the game we came out even and I think that's a fair reflection. The very fact we came back is an improvement on what has come before us, both Gerrard and Smith's teams struggled to change games once they had started.

The ability to turn the tide in a game is a rare commodity and one thats an indicator of a top quality manager.

We are improving but it's not going to be instant.

Out of all the games Emery has been in charge this is the one that's shown us his influence the most. With Smith we had some great results and performance, less so with Gerrard but there were some....... I can't remember a game where we have started so poorly and turned it around so much over the space of 90 minutes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Sky have given the players a reason to be there since 1992. 
Last year (2021-2022) only £700M of the £5,400M received by Premier league clubs came from matchday revenue. 

Football was around before 1992. Are you suggesting there was never booing of a poor performance before then? Also why were the players there before 1992?

Edited by AstonMartyn88
Spelling

Â