VT Films of the Year 2022

bickster

Surprisingly lack of cinema visits for me this year  to the point I might have only been two or three times 

Bullet Train was great stupid fun

All quiet on the Western front  probably moer deserving of FOTY though , so i'll give it to that 

Surprised at the love for Top Gun .. other than the nostalgia factor it was just a bit meh for me 

Edited by tonyh29

Prey, was my favourite, surprisingly good considering the previous follow ups to predator. 

Western Front was none stop action , couldn't look away from it for a second but it was also a depressing reminder of war, from it's glorious beginnings to it's dreadful reality. 

Enjoyed Monroe as well, brutal but I suspect fairly accurate as to the sort of abuse actresses had to endure to become stars. 

Belfast was ok, Banshees of Inisherin was a bit of wierd one, worth watching though. 

Tár (Todd Field)

Trenque Lauquen (Laura Citarella) [I haven't seen this yet but know it will be one of my favorites from the description and the people involved]

Blonde (Andrew Dominik)

The Batman (Matt Reeves)

Irma Vep 2022 (Olivier Assayas)

Edited by useless

I'd go with:

Emily the Criminal

To Leslie.

Argentina 1985. Made in 2022 but about the trials held against the military junta in 1985 after they were ousted by a civilian government. Rather dialoque heavy to start, but really powerful film overall.

We're not very mainstream with our movie choices.

• The Batman
  • Everything Everywhere All At Once
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Glass Onion

That's my top 4 in no particular order, but I can't think of a 5th that deserves to be on my list. It's been a very poor year for films 

My top 10:

10) The Menu

9) Taming The Garden

8 ) Petite Maman

7) Aftersun

6) Boiling Point

5) The Worst Person In The World

4) Top Gun: Maverick

3) Decision To Leave

2) Red Rocket

1) The Banshees of Inisherrin

Flawed but decent: 'She Said' was half a good film with very affecting recounting of abuse yoked to a dull and conflict-free newspaper drama that was nowhere near as good as 'Spotlight'. 'Taste' and 'Nude Tuesday' made up for in formal inventiveness and frankly bravery what they lacked in pace (the former) and consistent humour (the latter). 

Not good: 'Amsterdam' was a tonal mess that didn't work, didn't know what it was trying to do. 'See How They Run' was a completely superfluous Agatha Christie vehicle, didn't need it, always a bad sign when British thesps do one of their 'ode to the theatre' efforts. Also 'Everything Everywhere All At Once' - was interested in the first ten minutes in a story about a frazzled Asian woman running a laundry, then rapidly not interested in any of the shouting and time travel and all that nonsense. Turned it off after a painful hour or so, just not for me I guess.

Still to watch: Loads of stuff, but particularly looking forward to watching 'The Northman' and 'Triangle of Sadness'.

Edited by HanoiVillan