If You Could Live Anywhere in England, Where Would it Be?

maqroll

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Inside Carol Vorderman's panties.

My claim to fame is that about 20 years ago she kissed me on the cheek. Left a huge lipstick mark that really annoyed my girlfriend of the time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Eh? The Cotswolds are a range of hills formed from limestone 

Can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else but there is a hill somewhere in The Cotswolds from which you can see the tall buildings in Birmingham on a clear day. 

Bonkers. 

And I guess as there are more and taller buildings on the way that view is going to get more obvious. 

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I live in the Malvern Hills half way up the eastern side of Pinnacle hill. The house is a sprawling three stories, and has a large roof terrace with the most amazing views to both the east and south. I can see from Broadway Tower along the Cotswold Ridge through Winchcombe and onto Cleeve Hill with its transmitters, high above Cheltenham. The Severn Valley is laid out in a patchwork of fields and farms below me. The view from my study stretches out over the river Severn, the M5 and M50, and onwards between seventeen and twenty miles depending on direction. It alters almost by the minute as the clouds throw ever changing light patterns. It's 'God's own country' in my opinion.

Prior to moving here I lived in Bromsgrove for decades. It's a nice place surrounded by rolling countryside and with some very good restaurants. I still spend time there with my family. 

Just pay the fee and get that username changed to villamalvern, mate. 

I’m one to talk, mind…

I'll always have a soft spot for Chester. Went to Uni there and stayed for a couple of years afterwards. Beautiful city, easy enough to get to the bigger cities (Liverpool, Manchester) if you need to, only 30-40 mins to get to some beaches if you want. Brum is always home for me, but Chester is my second home.

On 27/11/2022 at 21:09, blandy said:

Aus is more expensive, in my experience. The lower cost of living would be a benefit for you. That said, the weather, the less optimistic outlook,the gloom and all the rest of it - Australia is better. On the worse side, culture or cultural life is richer in the UK for now, at least - I guess because it's less geographically isolated.

That said, I was walking through the park the other day, well 2 or 3 days ago, and they were setting up a stage for Crowded House to play 3 nights. Last night, tonight and tomorrow. You couldn't get a better place for that, tbh. They put loads more seats out and beer stalls and stuff. But it's kind of a surprise, an exception, to have this kind of thing. Like, I think 3 years ago, when I was here - on the card for a Paul Kelly concert (making gravy!) was Courtney Barnett. remote outpost perhaps, but striving in a way that the UK doesn't need to, to get  cultural stuff to happen.

IMG_2768.jpeg

I agree Blanch they have some cracking smaller bands on as well as some of the bigger bands on their way over East

• Like 1

I live in that there London and I love it. And no, despite living in hipsterville, I'm not a Shoreditch clearing in the woods earning megabucks oblivious to the misery around me, quite the opposite in fact.

That said, I'm kind of envious of @villabromsgrove though. Maybe I'll just go and stay with him for a weekend break every now and again. I'll be quiet. Don't worry about me, I'm sure there's a window I can break to get in, and I'll bring my own pot noodles.

36 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I live in that there London and I love it. 

You've done alright there.

The walk to Highbury to get the tube back down South after a night out in Hackney used to be a bit sketchy :)

9 minutes ago, Xann said:

You've done alright there.

The walk to Highbury to get the tube back down South after a night out in Hackney used to be a bit sketchy :)

You... walked?!?! Brave man. I did it once when I had no money for the bus. In the snow. Wasn't fun.

13 minutes ago, Anthony said:

You... walked?!?! Brave man. I did it once when I had no money for the bus. In the snow. Wasn't fun.

Half hour walk. Not that bad. Much nicer now than 25 years ago ;) 

23 hours ago, bobzy said:

Don't get the clamour for the Cotswolds - certainly not based on the countryside.  It's a flat, boring (albeit chocolate-box pretty) area of the country...

...and the people are also generally dickheads 👀

If you think the Cotswolds are flat, then you haven't been to Cambridgeshire!.....flat as witches t*its

I was born and bred in the Cotswolds but cannot afford to live there, got some elderly relatives still live in Moreton....but agree most of the newer folk who have moved to the Cotswolds are the green welly, black labrador and range rover brigade.......arseholes the lot of them.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2022 at 12:31, delboy54 said:

green welly, black labrador and range rover brigade.......arseholes the lot of them.

Leave the labradors alone! :D 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Spent a day working out of our central York office last week. Lovely place. Been there a fair few times, although not for the last 2 or 3 years. 

York is definitely a place I could see myself living. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Spent a day working out of our central York office last week. Lovely place. Been there a fair few times, although not for the last 2 or 3 years. 

Full of tourists, though. 

On 28/11/2022 at 13:10, bobzy said:

Don't get the clamour for the Cotswolds - certainly not based on the countryside.  It's a flat, boring (albeit chocolate-box pretty) area of the country...

...and the people are also generally dickheads 👀

I’m not sure that’s fair about the people. There’s a lot of old money types around but they’re actually decent and generous people when you scratch the surface. And the younger generation are polite and surprisingly enterprising people. The influx of people that we DONT want are the London second home types. 

On 28/11/2022 at 18:02, rjw63 said:

Inside Carol Vorderman's panties.

I think this is still a great place to be, but inside Christina Hendrick's panties would be even nicer.

I really like Bristol as a City, I also quite liked Sheffield when recently visited. If I had to live in a city it's probably London though, I spent a good few years working there mid week and loved the energy and options.

Not sure I could live in a city now though so if I left the Cheltenham area, it would likely be for the cornish coast.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Purely anecdotally. The majority of folk that I know that relocated because they liked the look of a place they had no connection to went from, 'this is perfect' to 'this would have been perfect if our friends/family were nearer.'

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xann said:

Purely anecdotally. The majority of folk that I know that relocated because they liked the look of a place they had no connection to went from, 'this is perfect' to 'this would have been perfect if our friends/family were nearer.'

Luckily I have no friends so I wouldn't have that problem ;)

I do know what you mean though and as much as I like York, i'd be unlikely to go there. As my folks get older, I want to be reasonably close to them. 

• Like 1

Â