World Cup: Matches

Genie

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well, I’ve asked you a sensible question about this England team yet you seem to only wish to comment on “people”.

Weird flex but ok. 

Well done. England are doing well, yet face huge challenges ahead. Any manager and any team would find France & Spain & Brazil formidable.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

That ain't saying much now is it! 

Rice I not £100 million that's for sure.

Who cares about price tag? He’s a great player. He’s easily good enough to be playing for a champions league club. And will be sooner or later

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No just in general. The reaction to not hating Southgate seems to be “oh so you think he’s a great manager then?!”

oh so you think he’s a great manager then?!

• Haha 1

Just now, Django_Zooms said:

Well done. England are doing well, yet face huge challenges ahead. Any manager and any team would find France & Spain & Brazil formidable.

What about bottling the Euro final. Southgates tactics lost us that. Defensive play from 20 minutes 1-0 up. Let a 38 year old Italian defender run the show!

Southgate lost us the final.

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

I asked you what you think of this England team on paper 😳

Just now, foreveryoung said:

What about bottling the Euro final. Southgates tactics lost us that. Defensive play from 20 minutes 1-0 up. Let a 38 year old Italian defender run the show!

You mean, the first Euros final that any England team ever reached.

The test starts now let's be honest we have played against championship players and has beens in the main.

We have the players to cause France issues and they have the pace to cause us issues mainly the stand out player in the tournament.

Saturday night I will be out on the lash watching it with the boys so win or lose I will have a good night 😜 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Any other Country, and Grealish is in the first 11. It was ever thus with England. Even Gascoigne wasn't trusted at times, Hoddle and Hiudson the same.

It’s a shame really. I think he should be starting. But rightly or wrongly I think Southgate has cemented him as his impact sub. 

Which is an effective role for him, just sells him short imo

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It makes me laugh when people talk about reaching this and that. What exactly have we won?

• Thanks 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

It makes me laugh when people talk about reaching this and that. What exactly have we won?

How many previous managers reached this and that? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Excellent prospects. Apologies for any complexity.

No complexity, you just didn’t answer the question and rambled on about “tests to come”.

I think our national side is probably… third best in the world, very close between the top three. 

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

So do I. We'll do really well with a manager that isn't totally shit. Looking forward to it.

Southgate has many flaws but the players generally love playing for him.

Sometimes at international level that's half the battle as we've seen with many England squads at previous tournaments.

Southgate is not a great manager but then very few international managers actually are, it’s a bit of a niche roll for a manager. 

International football is about getting a bunch of players who are essentially strangers to play as some sort of team while only seeing each other every few months. 

Southgate has managed to get England playing to a level where they beat teams they ‘should’ be beating on paper, and that’s not something you can say for many of his recent predecessors. 

However his tactics hardly inspire confidence and as far as I can recall he’s never had England ‘punching above their weight’ and winning matches you’d have thought they were going to lose.

France next week will be another one if those matches.