World Cup: Matches

Genie

I presumed it wasn't an automatic offside because the ref had to interpret who was interfering with play, but that didn't seem to be the case in the end. Very strange, it looked level as can be so I'm not sure what the ref looking at it can add. 

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I presumed it wasn't an automatic offside because the ref had to interpret who was interfering with play, but that didn't seem to be the case in the end. Very strange, it looked level as can be so I'm not sure what the ref looking at it can add. 

If a player is offside but doesn't touch the ball then it's down to the ref to determine if he was interfering with play. These offside calls where the player doesn't touch it will always go to the monitor. 

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Make it make sense 

If it's automated and the same system is being used across all games then i'm okay with it. At least it's a level playing field.

Though, it is a bit ridiculous so I understand where you're coming from.

Not watching the game but this degree of subjectivity is not needed, there’s not enough evidence to overturn the on field decision. I’ve looked at different angles and I’m still confused. VAR is honestly used so badly. 

Croatia Vs Belgium. Jesus, and we think England under conkface are shit. Two sides insistent on aging carthorses (not in talent but in declining lights) past their sell by date. The sheer energy, intensity of Morocco and Canada, the group, despit th lack of talent compared to these two on paper, versus these two walking pace sides is a stark contrast.

Edited by stewiek2

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Not watching the game but this degree of subjectivity is not needed, there’s not enough evidence to overturn the on field decision. I’ve looked at different angles and I’m still confused. VAR is honestly used so badly. 

It weakens the referees authority on the pitch for me. Of they keep having to adhere to the VAR and not stick to the actions of their convictions to be a weak referee.

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

It weakens the referees authority on the pitch for me. Of they keep having to adhere to the VAR and not stick to the actions of their convictions to be a weak referee.

I agree fully. Also, Anthony Taylor is a terrible referee. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the tournament. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

If a player is offside but doesn't touch the ball then it's down to the ref to determine if he was interfering with play. These offside calls where the player doesn't touch it will always go to the monitor. 

Yeah I agree, but that isn't what happened here. One player was clearly offside but clearly not interfering, and one was just offside.

The strange thing was the ref went over to check the close offside when it's supposed to be automated.