Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

10 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

In the real world I'm full on Guardian reading, tofu eating wokerati (although I'm really not), but I love the art of stand up, and I'm a sucker for a dark joke. I watched the Gervais special, and maybe laughed once. If you're going to joke about the subjects he's talking about, you got to say something that isn't hack. Essentially I felt his material was sub par twitter trolling level. 

I also watched the new Chappelle special, where he covered some similar subjects. In comparison, his jokes were fresh and deadly funny. That man just operates at a different level. I think that's the difference between a man who has devoted his life to stand up, vs a man who just decided he should also do stand up, alongside everything else he was doing in comedy. 

I have Chapelle on my watch list and you have given me hope that he is far more clever than the reviews have implied, him along with Anthony Jeselnik is my favourite stand up, so I am hopeful.

On 02/01/2024 at 07:18, Bizzzle said:

I thought the new Gervais stand up was hilarious personally. Each to their own I guess 

Yeah I thought the same. He's hilarious. He just calls out everything. The woke people are annoyed because he is making trans jokes or whatever. But he really just calls out everything and always has. Religion, Celebrities, racism, anything. He just calls out and makes jokes about everything. Which is what actual funny comedy is about. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah I thought the same. He's hilarious. He just calls out everything. The woke people are annoyed because he is making trans jokes or whatever. But he really just calls out everything and always has. Religion, Celebrities, racism, anything. He just calls out and makes jokes about everything. Which is what actual funny comedy is about. 

I get you, like Jim Davidson, proper comedy. Battling against the woke people, fair enough.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I get you, like Jim Davidson, proper comedy. Battling against the woke people, fair enough.

Who is Jim Davidson?

Gervais is just making jokes about the woke bs right now. Like he's made jokes about literally everything in the past. Gervais and Chapple are too big to cancel and Netflix is a company who embrace comedy. 

The most fun part is the people who complain about it. Like people who complain about South Park. That Entering the Panderverse special for example. Hilarious. Same as the one about Harry and Megan. Hilarious 

I like Gervais, but his comedy stand-up since Animals (his first) and maybe Politics (when I was young enough not to fully appreciate the nuances of the jokes) has been forgettable.  

Office, extras, Derek and afterlife I liked though.  

He's better at screenwriting than he is standup, but if someone gave me a cheque for £30m, I'd probably give it a good stab too.

Noone should really be upset about jokes though and he just uses the twitter meta as his framework, which over the last 10 years (in his sphere) has been around the trans stuff.

Who cares?  Don't lose sleep over it.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Gervais fan and I went to see his latest standup live when he was in Leeds.

It was absolutely shit. Even being there in person, which makes everything funnier, it wasn't funny.

And it was nothing to do with it being offensive. I couldn't care less about that in that sort of setting. It just wasn't funny, at all. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Who is Jim Davidson?

Gervais is just making jokes about the woke bs right now. Like he's made jokes about literally everything in the past. Gervais and Chapple are too big to cancel and Netflix is a company who embrace comedy. 

The most fun part is the people who complain about it. Like people who complain about South Park. That Entering the Panderverse special for example. Hilarious. Same as the one about Harry and Megan. Hilarious 

The most fun part of Gervais’ comedy is the people who complain about it?

Sounds amazing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm a huge Gervais fan and I went to see his latest standup live when he was in Leeds.

It was absolutely shit. Even being there in person, which makes everything funnier, it wasn't funny.

And it was nothing to do with it being offensive. I couldn't care less about that in that sort of setting. It just wasn't funny, at all. 

I find this hard to believe?

Sad to see how boring Chappelle has become. I know a lot of comics of his era have become crochety old men who whine more than tell jokes, but you would have thought he wouldn't be one of them. The man who retired in his peak to retain his integrity now sounds like every other middle aged comic on Netflix. RIP.

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

The most fun part of Gervais’ comedy is the people who complain about it?

Sounds amazing!

I think this is why so many switch to the right wing. Owning the libs is a money making business. 

In what was a very very weak set of nominees Ricky Gervais netflix special won a Golden Globe last night. So maybe we are all wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

In what was a very very weak set of nominees Ricky Gervais netflix special won a Golden Globe last night. So maybe we are all wrong. 

Well this forum is its own bubble of very left wing people, both fiscally and socially/culturally. So you'll get the echo chamber basically. 

• Like 2

Â