Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, for the last 2 weeks they’ve been trying to sell me a telescopic fishing rod and a remote control plastic aeroplane, so they’ve got some refining to do yet.

They probably haven't worked out that you are not the size of Rishi Sunak yet and won't fit in the plane.

Twitter don't care what is advertised in those slots. Apparently people who sell telescopic fishing rods think you are their target market. Do you already have the driving gloves?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Musk considers removing X platform from Europe over EU law - Insider

Elon Musk, owner of social media platform X, is considering removing the service formerly called Twitter from Europe in response to a new internet platform regulation in the region, news site Insider reported on Wednesday.

The billionaire has discussed removing the app's availability in the region, or blocking users in the European Union from accessing it, a person familiar with the company told the publication.

The European Union in August adopted the Digital Services Act (DSA), which sets forth rules for preventing the spread of harmful content, banning or limiting certain user-targeting practices, and sharing some internal data with regulators and associated researchers, among other things.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk-considers-removing-x-platform-europe-over-eu-law-insider-2023-10-18/

Family Guy GIF - Family Guy Oh - Discover & Share GIFs

• 2 weeks later...

X is officially worth less than half of what Elon Musk paid for it

A year after he bought Twitter for $44 billion, Musk thinks the company is now worth $19 billion, a 55 percent drop.

Everyone knew that Twitter wasn’t worth $44 billion when Elon Musk bought it a year ago. Now, we know what Musk himself thinks it’s worth today: $19 billion.

On Monday, employees at X were awarded equity in the company at a valuation of $19 billion, or $45 per share, according to internal documents seen by The Verge. That price is a 55 percent discount to Musk’s original purchase price, per the documents, which note that “the fair market value per share is determined by the Board of Directors based on a number of factors in a manner that complies with applicable tax rules.” (Musk is X’s chair and has yet to create a formal board.)

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/30/23938969/x-twitter-valuation-19-billion-employee-shares

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see Mr Musk is an anti-semite now.

And there was me thinking he was just a regular everyday billionaire arsehole.

His advertisers are leaving him left right and centre and the White House is laying into him.

Be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully his journey to poorer accelerates a little more everyday.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I see Mr Musk is an anti-semite now.

And there was me thinking he was just a regular everyday billionaire arsehole.

His advertisers are leaving him left right and centre and the White House is laying into him.

Be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully his journey to poorer accelerates a little more everyday.

He's trying to walk it back

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:
13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's trying to walk it back

He’s also threatening to sue Warners / Disney and anyone else who pulls their advertising.

I’m not sure what he thinks he’s going to sue them for but hey, I’m sure it'll be amusing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

He’s also threatening to sue Warners / Disney and anyone else who pulls their advertising.

I’m not sure what he thinks he’s going to sue them for but hey, I’m sure it'll be amusing.

Surely being too woke is an offence? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’ll be funny when it goes out of business, and it becomes the worst investment in the history of the world.

Dunno. People still seem perfectly happy with using it. 

It's the Newcastle defence. I didn't write and enable all that heinous shit. I'm just using it to follow Stephen Fry. 

Edited by sidcow

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Dunno. People still seem perfectly happy with using it. 

It's the Newcastle defence. I didn't write and enable all that heinous shit. I'm just using it to follow Stephen Fry. 

People will use it still I’m sure, but they need income to keep it going otherwise it’ll get worse and worse, then people will move on

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

People will use it still I’m sure, but they need income to keep it going otherwise it’ll get worse and worse, then people will move on

Yep, without the advertisers it's dead, like all the "free" stuff on the internet.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Yep, without the advertisers it's dead, like all the "free" stuff on the internet.

When we talk about advertisers on Twitter, are we talking about people who put adverts in front of us on the threads, or people who buy the dat that Twitter collects on us?

I've never quite understood how stuff like Twitter makes money (or at least is supposed to make money) - I always though it was through the sale of the data more than anything else.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When we talk about advertisers on Twitter, are we talking about people who put adverts in front of us on the threads, or people who buy the dat that Twitter collects on us?

I've never quite understood how stuff like Twitter makes money (or at least is supposed to make money) - I always though it was through the sale of the data more than anything else.

Twitter's main revenue stream is closer to classic advertising models compared to other social media platforms iirc. This is because it doesn't have much data on its users to sell, it can't do the Facebook thing, and even where it tries to do some of that stuff is just not as able to as other figures in the field. It's a significant part of the reason why Twitter, as a business case, is crap, and why Musk's first plan with Twitter was to try to make it make money on its own terms by getting people to pay for the thing (unfortunately the thing he wanted people to pay for was a threat to one of the things that makes Twitter useful...).

• Like 2

Â