Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If Pep gets it over Unai for winning less than he did last year with a squad that is probably double ours in value, i'm not even sure what the point is of having the award.

we would need to know the criteria for winning it.....is it a points system? 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They almost always just give it to the manager who wins the league, with 1 exception in the past decade

If Pulis can win it for finishing 11th on 45 points then unai should be a shoe in.

Posted (edited)

Never seen him look so deflated/defeated.

I didn't love it, however I can't help but feel for him.

Imagine coming so far, putting in all the hours of preparation, building it up, at home, only to end up with that 🤦🏾‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Emery has done incredible work with this squad, sadly there is a limit to how much he can affect their mentality, too many of our players seem to crumble in big occasions, ecpecially at home when the fans are excited and loud - Chelsea, Brentford and Sheffield United pop to mind.

• Like 1

💯 needs to install that winning mentality some of our players go missing big-time when the heat is on. And sort out the goals conceded.

i see tonight differently.

Personally I think it was the simple mistake of not playing Iroegbunam from the start and there wasn't enough one touch football.

It's a nob being 2 goals down for the second game as they will play 10 behind the ball but it certainly isn't done if we have a few players back.

It's been a good night anyway, one win and Emery has secured CL football for us next season which will be 2 seasons on the bounce that he has exceeded expectations. 

42 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

💯 needs to install that winning mentality some of our players go missing big-time when the heat is on. And sort out the goals conceded.

Only so much he can do.

He can give them the foundation to perform but ultimately the players character will show during the big moments and high pressure situations 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think he needs to go back to playing the 3 in CM rather than Diaby, Bailey and Rodgers, who whilst all great going forward leave us too open in midfield. That's how I see it tbh. Both Diaby and Bailey are very similar, Rodgers I think is also very attack minded and none of them offer the protection in midfield we've lacked the last couple of games. 

Edited by avfc1982am

8 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Emery has done incredible work with this squad, sadly there is a limit to how much he can affect their mentality, too many of our players seem to crumble in big occasions, ecpecially at home when the fans are excited and loud - Chelsea, Brentford and Sheffield United pop to mind.

I agree with you - It’s got to the stage now, that I know when we are going to perform and not perform after a few minutes of play. I don’t know why, but you can just see it.

We have to remember that many of our lads, have not been through an occasion like last night - You can’t just become an experienced player, you have to earn this mantle through a number of seasons/experiences.

Look for me, when we are good, we are actually very good, but equally when we are flat - we look ordinary and for me, this is a mentality issue - which comes with experience.

An on form Villa - can easily win 0-2 over there and take it into extra time, an on form Villa could even go there and 0-3.

It really does depend on which Villa show up next Thursday - but we go there now, with the pressure off, everyone will be happy to write us off, but if we take it to extra time in the words of Ron “ are you going to bet against us “ 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm sorry. Unai is not immune to criticism. 

He's got to understand that this squad of first team players is mentally and physically exhausted.  Injuries have ravaged us. He HAS to start playing some kids, even if they're less experienced and not of the same quality, you can't keep playing these first steamers relentlessly. 

And he's got to make subs earlier when we're clearly struggling. 

Hopefully we've still done enough to get the job done but we're playing with fire right now.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

His stubbornness to have faith in the kids will cost us 4th place at this rate. Should've learnt after the 2nd half v's Chelsea but within the space of 7 days has now left us hanging onto other teams doing us favours. He's been a godsend but I'm really disappointed in him this week.

Â