Unai Emery

PeterSw

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

We go again and muttered something about good bunch of lads and moments of magic. He then ended it by saying that Diaby goal will shut a few people up 

He also said that we was never going to beat a team like Chelsea..

My god we had had some truly 💩 mangers with the stuff they come out with 🤣

I think behind the scenes Unai will have ripped them a new one, you could see the passion in his press conference, there is no way he was Mr nice guy in that dressing room

• Like 1

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, maltesemike said:

As I said in the match thread, I always saw Unai as an adaptable manager. The injuries have ravaged us but somehow we persist in trying to play the same way.

He is coming across as stubborn but surely some pragmatism would help “stop the rot”. But perhaps his hands are tied? I am tactically naive though and have no clue what these changes could be.

But in Unai we trust, he will get it right. We’ve come such a long way and we need to get behind him and the team.

I think he has lost trust in starting Zaniolo, plus Ramsey and Diaby are currently not in great form and that has taken a lot of pace from our attack

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I can’t make my mind up whether we were happy to drop the game and focus on the PL or we were just awful and Chelsea were good.

I think if we were happy to go out, we'd have crumbled at Stamford Bridge.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

That's glazing over the fact we are still in Europe and have a real possible chance of winning it. 

Teams like Mostar, that's the biggest game in their clubs history. We did what was needed to top the group, let's judge when the knockouts come round. 

We have been largely unimpressive in our cup matches under Unai is my point. Amazing in the league but not in the cups 

Just now, Captain_Townsend said:

Some of the comments about Unai and the cups are ridiculous.  

He has won more cups in a decade than we won as a club in 40 years. Look at his CV.

Yes, he is a cup winning manager which is why it's so disappointing how shit we have been in them.

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Got past the 3rd round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2015 before losing, over two games to Chelsea.

Still playing in a European competition in March.

We are rocked by injuries at the moment and He's only been here 17 months.

Are you seriously saying that we HAVEN'T been poor in the cups? And that winning at Boro in the last minute proves that?

We have been dreadful in the cups both before and since Unai arrived and my point is that I had hoped for better in them given his previous successes in cup competitions. 

That's all.

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think he has lost trust in starting Zaniolo, plus Ramsey and Diaby are currently not in great form and that has taken a lot of pace from our attack

I think the bigger issue is that he has lost trust in Cash to play the 3rd CB role, resulting in Kamara having to drop in and the midfield then losing all its shape and not being compact.

Wouldnt be averse to seeing Kamara at RB on Sunday tbh. Cash just doesn’t have either the footballing intelligence or defensive capability to play the RB/RCB role which is essential to the system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Yeah yesterday I was thinking, if Zaniolo can't get on early-ish here it's not a great sign.

Starting to feel like he may even prefer to have Rogers available if it were an option.

You wonder if they've decided they aren't going to keep him so would rather build for future. Strange one.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We're gonna hound this guy out because of pouty petulance, and an inability to grasp that progress is never linear and exponential.

We're gonna do that and lose the best manager in 50 years. Depressingly inevitable.

Maybe not hound out soon but online you can feel some idiots turning and dont realise how shit we were when he took over

Naturally would prefer that we have a passion merchant like Pulis or someone similar

There have been 1-2 questions about set up / lacks of subs against Newcastle and Chelsea. However, these two games are on the players. Basic unforced errors, a lack of intensity and the fact the opposition were strong has been the issue. We have a very thin squad with injuries and players not in form. No way Emery deserves anything but the highest praise. 

• Like 2

Our form isn't on Emery, but he isn't without blame. He has to change it up a little. Pack the midfield. Maybe be a bit more direct? I don't know, but we're being played off the park in most games at the moment and not changing anything in the hope our performances will change, is the definition of insanity. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our form isn't on Emery, but he isn't without blame. He has to change it up a little. Pack the midfield. Maybe be a bit more direct? I don't know, but we're being played off the park in most games at the moment and not changing anything in the hope our performances will change, is the definition of insanity. 

This. Some pragmatism is needed, we don't have the personnel to play the way we normally do.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The slow build up when 2-0 down really annoyed me. I know that’s how we play and it’s generally been very effective, but you can’t be doing that when chasing a game. 

• Like 1

The only piece of criticism I have about him is that the towel had to go in when Enzo scored that free kick last night. It's not possible for Luiz, Watkins, McGinn, etc. to play at 100% in 60 odd games. Even with Klopp inhalers. Any chance we get to rest them should be taken and last night was that chance. 

As for the slow patient build up, I am not a fan but we simply can't play with intensity and pace in every game. It's not possible when we are in Europe and playing cup replays. No player has the mental ability and the physicality to be able to do that. 

• Like 1

Â