Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He means they played poorly, which they did.

They did… probably the worst performance from our midfield 3 so far this season… Bouba was particularly poor and lackadaisical…

I miss the proper or best version of Dougie too (the king of VP) but… sometimes individuals need those around them to play well to thrive themselves too…

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Reading between the lines it sounds like he wasn't fussed about changing it to win, just about them learning from playing together.

Not sure he will be that generous to the players behind the scenes anyway. They deserve whatever criticism he chooses to give them today, but he's not immune from blame tonight. 

Time to get a reaction from them on Sunday Unai!

Slowly only works when you have control. When we lose the midfield battle we lose shape and it feels like wave after wave of attack as the oppo continually drive through us. Everything needs to be done half a second quicker to combat this it feels to me. 

Felt dirty but gave him a poor rating tonight. Spoilt ungrateful fan that I am. Like newcastle thought he could have made some changes at half time.

Tonight was disappointing but like the Everton game in the league cup I wonder how fussed he was to go deep. We have 2 massive targets of CL qualification and the Conference League, where is so comfortable in European football. But you can't dress it up it has been 2 poor home performances in a row and I am sure he will be working overtime to change that on Sunday.

For the last 2 home games it feels like all 4 midfielders are trying to play the same role - and all failing.

Could use a Ramsay/Bailey/Zaniolo/Rogers/Buendia to mix it up a bit.

• Like 2

It feels to me like our offside trap doesn't work when teams make direct runs from midfield. Chelsea had so many players making runs into the final third with the ball and it felt like they barely passed it forward.

I love Unai, but a cup winning manager? We fold like a cheap suit in every cup we enter and struggled to even beat the likes of Mostar in the ECL.

Not even a sniff of a Quarter Final let alone a trophy. Really thought he would bring us some silverwear, and maybe one day he might, but so far it seems even the Don can't get this club close to winning things.

We started really well last night. Psychology is our biggest issue. A few dodgy passes and Chelsea knocking it around for 5 minutes and we’re defeated. Bring in the shrinks Unai.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I can’t make my mind up whether we were happy to drop the game and focus on the PL or we were just awful and Chelsea were good.

Don't think it's either/or. First goal, fair enough could probably do better, second goal with anywhere near a full strength back line we do not concede and the third was a fantasy made up foul and then a world class free kick. With the ball, starting from I think not having Konsa, Torres or Mings on the pitch, our usual strength turned into a weakness as we misplaced simple passes and gave the ball away where usually we do not.

Unai saying he wanted to give the players minutes together before making changes would seem to be in line with that too. Hopefully it pays off on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Don't think it's either/or. First goal, fair enough could probably do better, second goal with anywhere near a full strength back line we do not concede and the third was a fantasy made up foul and then a world class free kick. With the ball, starting from I think not having Konsa, Torres or Mings on the pitch, our usual strength turned into a weakness as we misplaced simple passes and gave the ball away where usually we do not.

Unai saying he wanted to give the players minutes together before making changes would seem to be in line with that too. Hopefully it pays off on Sunday.

You may be right, I’m going to watch the horror show again tonight, maybe I’ll see it differently.

As I said in the match thread, I always saw Unai as an adaptable manager. The injuries have ravaged us but somehow we persist in trying to play the same way.

He is coming across as stubborn but surely some pragmatism would help “stop the rot”. But perhaps his hands are tied? I am tactically naive though and have no clue what these changes could be.

But in Unai we trust, he will get it right. We’ve come such a long way and we need to get behind him and the team.

Â