Unai Emery

PeterSw

Criticism of Unai (ignoring the OTT ones) isn’t unwarranted. 

The stubbornness of managers is what gets them in trouble. Gerrard persisting with his 4321 and never adjusting (or coaching). Deano fiddling with his 433 and going 5 at the back before he got the sack. 

This shoehorning of players into a system they’re uncomfortable in is what is killing us right now. The injuries caused it, but it’s up to Unai’s to gameplan around it. 

If we keep trying to fiddle with this Cash forward nonsense, it’ll be our undoing this season.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Criticism of Unai (ignoring the OTT ones) isn’t unwarranted. 

The stubbornness of managers is what gets them in trouble. Gerrard persisting with his 4321 and never adjusting (or coaching). Deano fiddling with his 433 and going 5 at the back before he got the sack. 

This shoehorning of players into a system they’re uncomfortable in is what is killing us right now. The injuries caused it, but it’s up to Unai’s to gameplan around it. 

If we keep trying to fiddle with this Cash forward nonsense, it’ll be our undoing this season.

No manager is immune to criticism or flawless/faultless… even the most successful ones… they have all made mistakes… but learned from them too…. They’re only human after all…

But I would tend to criticise the players more often than not here (and the vast majority have been inherited, and elevated, by Unai rather than signed by him) because it’s been obvious that they haven’t been able to carry out Unai’s instructions at times (but have in the main) and his frustration has been visible in those moments…

I really don’t think that the injuries are an excuse either… they have been a factor and a challenge to have had to deal with… they have affected us and we have lost something…

It’s a process and it can’t run smoothly or seamlessly all the time… we are learning and will keep improving…

Again, we need to be patient and understanding… but we can criticise fairly without suggesting a managerial change (would be ridiculous) too… 

Should resist the urge to be childish and petulant.. especially this time around… expectation should be fair and realistic not wild and unreasonable….

Edited by Jas10

I doubt we’d have gone in this mess if Kamara didn’t mess it up at Brentford and Torres injury in a crucial time. Add to that Konsa injury for yesterday. 
I know it’s part of the game, but it cam in a crucial time. 
Knowing Emery he comes back better after losses so hopefully he’ll be sure to do something at our game of the season next Sunday. 

Nothing in this world being done by people doesn’t have a mistake, manager work in particular have more mistakes (as they’re dealing with people and different circumstances), so since last year, there were mistakes here and there, but Emery overcome them and actually create more solutions. 
Last season when we came near Europe we went hopeless against Utd and Wolves, but came back to win 7 points against top 8 teams. 
For me I wasn’t expecting much from Newcastle or Chelsea, knew something like this would happen. 
But we’ve experienced this drops under Emery and we usually get back stronger. 

I’m usually against surrending other cups for the league, but this time our UECL is more priority as it will help 5th getting CL. 

Still a lot to play for, our away form is improving (which was what our form began with last season) then home form sustained.

Now it’s getting different possibly because of the change of players (Torres missing is a big hit for our home form).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I think if we were happy to go out, we'd have crumbled at Stamford Bridge.

Maybe, but the first leg was a cup weekend, second leg was between two important PL fixtures. The importance may of changed when there was a replay.

I can’t get my head around the drop off in performance from 4 days ago and that was after watching the game in full again tonight.

Just now, QldVilla said:

Maybe, but the first leg was a cup weekend, second leg was between two important PL fixtures. The importance may of changed when there was a replay.

I can’t get my head around the drop off in performance from 4 days ago and that was after watching the game in full again tonight.

Football is played in small details, we had early chances, if we scored would have been totally different l. Same after 2-0. Then if we kept it tight would have been as well. 3rd goal changed the whole thing. 

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I doubt we’d have gone in this mess if Kamara didn’t mess it up at Brentford and Torres injury in a crucial time. Add to that Konsa injury for yesterday. 
I know it’s part of the game, but it cam in a crucial time. 
Knowing Emery he comes back better after losses so hopefully he’ll be sure to do something at our game of the season next Sunday. 

Nothing in this world being done by people doesn’t have a mistake, manager work in particular have more mistakes (as they’re dealing with people and different circumstances), so since last year, there were mistakes here and there, but Emery overcome them and actually create more solutions. 
Last season when we came near Europe we went hopeless against Utd and Wolves, but came back to win 7 points against top 8 teams. 
For me I wasn’t expecting much from Newcastle or Chelsea, knew something like this would happen. 
But we’ve experienced this drops under Emery and we usually get back stronger. 

I’m usually against surrending other cups for the league, but this time our UECL is more priority as it will help 5th getting CL. 

Still a lot to play for, our away form is improving (which was what our form began with last season) then home form sustained.

Now it’s getting different possibly because of the change of players (Torres missing is a big hit for our home form).

Maybe… another thing is… that since we have been in this top 4 “mix”… that people have assumed that our squad is just as deep and filled with quality as the teams around us… I don’t think that’s really the case… we haven’t spent a comparable amount and don’t have as many options…

in that sense, that is one way in which Unai has “over achieved” but… I don’t mean that that isn’t unsustainable… it just demonstrates how skilled our manager is…

It’s arguable that we are more affected by key absences than those teams… however… we have seen them struggle as well or drop off when an important player has been unavailable…

Another thing is… those teams and players are used to competing at the top and in high pressure or important games… our players… less so, it’s new to many of them…

Regardless… I don’t doubt that our players are going to be better off for the experiences that we will have had and everything we will have gained from this season once it has been completed… that gives me a lot of hope and optimism for the future….

We have to realise that Unai is building something, that takes time, and has been transforming us…

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Emery is a victim of his own success with some fans, we’ve improved so well and so quickly that all the talk of being in a title race has left people feeling like it’s a failure if we don’t finish top four. I’ll be more than happy even if we finish sixth this season, it’s incremental progression over last season and European football again.

We were never going to win every game and the difference between starting well and finishing not so well versus starting poorly and finishing strongly, leads to a huge difference in reaction despite the end result being the same. 

It’s going to be a fight to the end and Emery has earned our trust to get us there. His 2ppg includes our rough patches, so let’s hope our returning players help us refind our form. 

So true. If he hadn’t got us to where we are now and somehow getting Europe against all odds last season, we’d have been thrilled to be mid table. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

We're gonna hound this guy out because of pouty petulance, and an inability to grasp that progress is never linear and exponential.

We're gonna do that and lose the best manager in 50 years. Depressingly inevitable.

Edit: I meant continuous and exponential, I realise that linear and exponential are mutually exclusive, maths nerds. Not enough coffee yet.

I wanted to like this but… after your 2nd paragraph… I can’t. I’m sure the owners know what we have, even if the fans don’t, and we’d be utter idiots and fools to let go of it. They have built or reformed the club around him now and the intent is for this to be something that lasts and takes us to new levels…

A few stupid, unreasonable and disgruntled fans shouldn’t affect that… hopefully any of that noise is just drowned out and ignored…

Most of us know the class of the manager we have… it’s high time us fans stepped up and showed a relative level of class and dignity to aid and reflect that…

Hopefully, the idiots are more and more marginalised or some of them eventually see sense…

I’m not going to be so negative or defeatist… if something like that happened now… I would just give up and move on… it’d be too bloody depressing and demoralising…

I’d rather continue to embrace this fresh new era and try to relax and enjoy it… for a pleasant change…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I wanted to like this but… after your 2nd paragraph… I can’t. I’m sure the owners know what we have, even if the fans don’t, and we’d be utter idiots and fools to let go of it. They have built or reformed the club around him now and the intent is for this to be something that lasts and takes us to new levels…

A few stupid, unreasonable and disgruntled fans shouldn’t affect that… hopefully any of that noise is just drowned out and ignored…

Most of us know the class of the manager we have… it’s high time us fans stepped up and showed a relative level of class and dignity to aid and reflect that…

Hopefully, the idiots are more and more marginalised or some of them eventually see sense…

I’m not going to be so negative or defeatist… if something like that happened now… I would just give up and move on… it’d be too bloody depressing and demoralising…

I’d rather continue to embrace this fresh new era and try to relax and enjoy it… for a pleasant change…

Nice response. I'll draw some comfort from this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Nice response. I'll draw some comfort from this. 

I do think the majority of the fanbase is understanding and supportive or have been “coming around” to our new ways and style…

We have to drown out and dominate or deflect the minority of idiots by showing our support and faith in the manager and players.. consistently…

The owners pursued Unai and we are building around him… and he has been rewarding that quickly… there is more intelligence and nous within the club than there is out of it…

Only last season… I think Unai himself said he has only achieved 10% of what he wants to… we have a long way to go… let’s try to enjoy it…

I would not be too concerned… we need to forget the “old Villa” too… this is a new and much improved version…

shed the scars, shed the negativity and expectation of being perennial losers… no more…

THIS

IS

UNAI’S

CLARET AND BLUE ARMY!

UTV

😆

get on board or get lost 😂

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Oh, here’s the quote:

Our way here has only just started and I’ve only been here for 10% of the time I want to be here, trying to improve, trying to build a strong project and get our objectives.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, striker said:

Watched Emery’s post match interview this morning. To tell you the truth I was totally disgusted by it. No real hint of criticism and deflecting the result by saying that Villa are strong in the league.

Placement is strong however recent performances (with the exception of Sheffield) have been poor, really poor. I don’t know what he’s been saying to the players in the dressing room but performances aren’t improving. In fact no changes last night after a terrible first half is basically saying to the players carry on what you’re doing which they did.

Total apathy which is being repeated in recent performances on the pitch. I’ve also read one or two posts on here suggesting Villa threw the game? I can understand that as the players looked totally disinterested last night with few breaking sweat.

For me though Emery needs to start showing the same passion and disgust evident while watching the game last night and throwing several of his players under the media bus. He might then get a reaction.

Show the same apathetic nature and performance level against Man U on Sunday it just won’t cut it with me or many other Villa fans!

Disgusted? I’m regularly disgusted by your comments to be frank…

So he has to be transparent and open to the media? That’s the most important thing?

How do you know he isn’t unhappy/upset and hasn’t criticised or shown his anger to the players in the dressing room or behind the scenes? You know… where it actually matters?

Airing your grievances and making foolish and petulant comments in public and in the media (who twist and exaggerate almost everything) shows a real lack of class and ability… I’m glad he has never done that… he’s way too good for that kind of crap. And what kind of benefit would that bring? It’s the kind of thing that inept and under pressure managers do… no thanks.

Is upsetting and embarrassing the players and destroying team unity and spirit actually something that is worthwhile and helpful? I think not…

How you can accuse him of lacking passion and not being disgusted or appalled by poor performances (how would you know?) is probably typical of the theme of your posts on the main… overly negative and completely unreasonable…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Disgusted? I’m regularly disgusted by your comments to be frank…

So he has to be transparent and open to the media? That’s the most important thing?

How do you know he isn’t unhappy/upset and has criticised or shown his anger to the players in the dressing room or behind the scenes? You know… where it actually matters?

Airing your grievance and making foolish and petulant comments in public and in the media shows a real lack of class and ability… I’m glad he has never done that… he’s way too good for that kind of crap.

How you can accuse him of lacking passion and not being disgusted or appalled by poor performances (how would you know?) is probably typical of the theme of your posts on the main… overly negative and completely unreasonable…

Lacking passion. Haha. The guy works 15 hours a day trying to improve us. 

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

I’ve said it before and I’lll say it again… he’s not a Villa fan. Regularly slates our best player (Luiz this season) in the main while ignoring the evidence and facts…

it’s tiring and brings this whole place down… just ruins and derails every thread with the excess negativity and nonsense…

some of the worst take I’ve seen too… wants players like JWP and Philips and thinks they’re better than what we’ve have 🤦‍♂️

Dear oh dear…

share opinions… but be bloody reasonable!

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don’t think Unai lacks anything really…

we have lacked luck with injuries…

and some individuals lack what he needs and demands to take us to where we want to go…

unfortunately, we don’t have free abandon to go out and get who we want or spend however much we desire…

he’s done brilliantly with the players he has.. just a few key additions that will get better…

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’ve said it before and I’lll say it again… he’s not a Villa fan. Regularly slates our best player (Luiz this season) in the main while ignoring the evidence and facts…

it’s tiring and brings this whole place down… just ruins and derails every thread with the excess negativity and nonsense…

some of the worst take I’ve seen too… wants players like JWP and Philips and thinks they’re better than what we’ve have 🤦‍♂️

Dear oh dear…

share opinions… but be bloody reasonable!

Just put him on the ignore list 

Are some people making a mountain out of a molehill here?

Are we really expected to win every game or blow teams away on the regular???

Since when were we “not allowed” to lose games? When did we earn that divine right?

We were shit before Unai arrived… don’t forget it!

Anyone who has been expecting a  seamless and smooth ride is deluded… there’s a lot of work that has been done and that needs doing on this squad…

37 minutes ago, striker said:

the same passion and disgust evident while watching the game last night and throwing several of his players under the media bus. He might then get a reaction.

Are you outside of your mind?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, striker said:

Watched Emery’s post match interview this morning. To tell you the truth I was totally disgusted by it. No real hint of criticism and deflecting the result by saying that Villa are strong in the league.

Placement is strong however recent performances (with the exception of Sheffield) have been poor, really poor. I don’t know what he’s been saying to the players in the dressing room but performances aren’t improving. In fact no changes last night after a terrible first half is basically saying to the players carry on what you’re doing which they did.

Total apathy which is being repeated in recent performances on the pitch. I’ve also read one or two posts on here suggesting Villa threw the game? I can understand that as the players looked totally disinterested last night with few breaking sweat.

For me though Emery needs to start showing the same passion and disgust evident while watching the game last night and throwing several of his players under the media bus. He might then get a reaction.

Show the same apathetic nature and performance level against Man U on Sunday it just won’t cut it with me or many other Villa fans!

Stopping trolling us Troy “Striker” Deeney

• Like 1

Â