Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Another signing from the world renowned West Brom academy (albeit Indirectly)! We must have the laziest academy scouts in Europe😀

As is often pointed out on the banks of wherever I happen to be fishing, don’t ignore the fish close to where you  are and lose them while trying to cast  miles away! 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, ofc we would always want CL football this year if we could get it, and im sure there will be ups and downs this year, but to be brutally honest, once the season is over and the dust has settled, i would be very happy if we got Europa League.

I think, considering where we are, the minimum we should expect of ourselves right now is Europa League, but it would also be a good finish regardless, especially considering where we were, when Emery took over.

Im sure there would be some disappointment if we didnt manage CL this year, due to how the first half of the season went, but eh......in reality, CL league is wildest dreams stuff, Europa league would be a very good season, weirdly i would be disappointed by anything less than that, but thats only because of how the first half of the season went, if you had offered me Europa league at the start of the season, i would have been extremely happy with that.

i guess expectations adjust based on current form, and we performed way, way beyond expectations in the first half of the season tbh.

Yup I agree that’s the case but that's so unfair on Emery. Definitely a victim of his own success. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, andym said:

Er have you not watched us over the last 15 months?

I think i have,   but knew that other teams were watching us as well and with our Don Howe style of play we need another string to our bow because we would be worked out in the end.

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, ofc we would always want CL football this year if we could get it, and im sure there will be ups and downs this year, but to be brutally honest, once the season is over and the dust has settled, i would be very happy if we got Europa League.

I think, considering where we are, the minimum we should expect of ourselves right now is Europa League, but it would also be a good finish regardless, especially considering where we were, when Emery took over.

Im sure there would be some disappointment if we didnt manage CL this year, due to how the first half of the season went, but eh......in reality, CL league is wildest dreams stuff, Europa league would be a very good season, weirdly i would be disappointed by anything less than that, but thats only because of how the first half of the season went, if you had offered me Europa league at the start of the season, i would have been extremely happy with that.

i guess expectations adjust based on current form, and we performed way, way beyond expectations in the first half of the season tbh.

Yeah I think it at this point 4th-6th is just who stays fittest and can string together a decent run of form. This is our patchy spot, similar to when we lost 3 on the bounce last season. The other teams have had there's and it depends when ours will end.

46 minutes ago, spiezels said:

I dont know a fanbase thats as entitled as ours sometimes.

Oh there are, believe me. Spurs, Man City, Arsenal, even bloody Leicester when they were good were far worse than our lot. 

Suppose all those teams have had far more recent success than we have, but I actually think the opposite to you: I find our fans to be too accepting at times which is probably why we never achieve anything! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find it beautifully ironic that we’ve waited 2 years for Bailey to come good and when he finally does, we drop him. 

Do you do this on purpose? He wasn't dropped, he had a back injury that was being managed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Do you do this on purpose? He wasn't dropped, he had a back injury that was being managed.

Do what on purpose? Spark debate with my hot takes and in depth analysis? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do what on purpose? Spark debate with my hot takes and in depth analysis? 

Completely miss key pieces of information that incidentally happen to contradict your hot takes. It happens so often that one starts to wonder.

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Devils advocate here.  We can be so slow and boring at times. Its a fact. And it is a deliberate ploy. Wait and wait and wait for the chance to use a break the lines pass through the middle. Which is fine if you have a player who is probably as good as any in World football at that skill . But Pau is out. We are still playing slow. But we arent finding the passes we do when Pau is playing. So our elite way of moving the ball forward is gone. And it leaves us looking like we dont have a clue how to break the oppo down. When we dont have that control then it allows the oppo to get at us more and more and attack the flanks where we are constantly left 2 on 1. 

I would say that i like his tactic when Pau is playing but when he isnt it doesnt work. 

I am not questioning Emery,  just pointing out something that is very clear. 

we also aren't cutting out the endless balls over the top and beating the press very often, took about 15 attempts to affectively play out from the back vs Newcastle.

I think we have a strong 11 with one set of tactics and plan, as soon as we start losing players and have to improvise that goes to absolute shite.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

We are 4/5th and people are crying like its the relegation season. I don't know where this entitlement comes from but its quite tough to be around.

Not discounting that the game was rather disappointing but zoom out people.

It's not entitlement at all!

It'll just be seen as a huge disappointment and a missed chance, especially because we were flying, beating man City and Arsenal and then couldn't even see off Sheffield, struggled with a 10 man Burnley and lost our home record to a poor Newcastle who hadn't won away from home for nearly a year.

56 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

We are 4/5th and people are crying like its the relegation season. I don't know where this entitlement comes from but its quite tough to be around.

Spot on.  My target at the start of the season was 7th but being in the European places all season long rather than clinching it at the death. 

6th or higher would still be a fantastic season.  Unless something crazy happens in the next 20 mins we are 11 points clear of 7th (Man Utd have a game in hand but aren't in great form) with 16 matches left to play.  So we have effectively 3 or 4 games "in hand".

The odds are still very much in our favour for finishing 5th.  Which may or may not be enough for CL football.

There's definitely room for improvement on our last few displays but I really don't get a lot of the doom and gloom and calling for Emery to abandon what has worked for him over the last 10 years as a manager because we've had a couple of poor results.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

I think i have,   but knew that other teams were watching us as well and with our Don Howe style of play we need another string to our bow because we would be worked out in the end.

It was more the 'Howe masterclass, hopefully its something Emery has in his locker' comment that confused me, because Unai has clearly demonstrated he does here and during his coaching career.

Unai is fantastic, I wouldn't swap him for anyone, and he has already given us some great memories as Villa fans with plenty to look forward to.

But he is not above significant mistakes / errors, and last night was one. The way we set up against Newcastle was a bit hard to swallow after being so naive against them in Gameweek 1.

As others have pointed out, we are without Pau which means the way we're playing is immeasurably less effective, but you really need to adapt in that situation and play a different way. We've been poor for 7/8 games now, and still have not tried to play a different way.

I adore Unai but he is stubborn to a fault when it comes to the system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

There’s always going to bet overreactions but it’s fair to call out something when we’ve been having the same issues for weeks and not seeing any change. 

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

It's not entitled for fans to moan about a run of poor performances. 

We are having an amazing season, but we have been shit for 9 games now. 9 and a half really.

That's not ok. People just don't want an incredible first half of the season to be wasted by a collapse in form

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not entitlement at all!

It'll just be seen as a huge disappointment and a missed chance, especially because we were flying, beating man City and Arsenal and then couldn't even see off Sheffield, struggled with a 10 man Burnley and lost our home record to a poor Newcastle who hadn't won away from home for nearly a year.

These things happen in football. Deal with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

These things happen in football. Deal with it.

What sort of comment is that, "deal with it"? 

Do you have that attitude whenever we lose?? Okay it's not the end of the world, but some take there football a little more serious. We made it to top 4 through playing great football, hard graft, an winning against the best. Why would we not be bothered we are now dropping out of it, an all that great entertaining football has gone missing.

• Like 1

Â