Unai Emery

PeterSw

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Guess there’s only so many times it can be said in various ways “that was good, I approve”.

Emery currently on 492 pages (joined us 24th October 2022, so a year and a bit now).

Comparative pages after 1 year of thread being opened -

Smith thread 692 pages

Bruce thread 1125 pages

Gerrard thread 1254 pages (not quite 1 year in charge)

I think the difference in page numbers generated for a thread gives a fairly good indication to the validity of not so good results leading to more discussion and subsequently how each of those managers are (and were) perceived.

And just for those who want to wistfully think “Ah what could have been…”

Sherwood 850 pages after 8 months

Di Matteo 209 pages after 4 months 

Bloody hell. It felt like Steven was in charge a lot longer than 11 months.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes in, we successfully kept possession while pinned back to our corner flag. It received applause but I was amazed at the transformation Unai has made with largely the same players in just a year. On the pitch was 8 out of 11 players that were signed before Unai yet we completely dominated Fulham. Really under appreciated what he’s done in comparison to Poch, ETH, and Ange. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Ps - why the hell does he have to be so humble with it??

I think this is a large part of why he/we are going under the radar a bit - look at the managers of the top 7/8/9 teams, and they all have media headline-worthy attributes:

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal; media darlings, obviously very good side, big club in Sky 6 era, manager is a prick who gives headline quotes 

Spurs; media darlings, big club in Sky 6 era

Man Utd; media darlings, big club in Sky 6 era, currently a "crisis club" which = headlines

Newcastle; media darlings + money = headlines

Chelsea; media darlings, big club in Sky 6 era, manager is a prick when the mood takes him, 

Brighton; small club done good, manager likes a strop on the touchline occasionally

Villa/Emery have none of this. If Emery was a more "quote-worthy" manager then we'd probably get more attention. I'm glad he isn't and we aren't. Let them ignore us until we are impossible to ignore any longer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

To be fair, This thread would have a helluva lot more pages if I contributed more often but I prefer to send love letters to his home instead of wasting my time on here.

I’ve been sending him my used underwear for a few months with letters of adulation written in cats blood. He’s not responded yet but I’m sure he will

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Would not swap him for anyone. 

I'd bet no other manager could replicate what he has done in his time here with the same squad etc. It defies belief. 

Agreed, he is amazing.

And to think we could have been joint top if we'd won against Forest.

54 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He changes my mind about everything. After watching Poch on the pitch after the game earlier i am thinking why don't you be like Unai. Get the fk off the pitch and let the players who drew the game get their praise. He isnt in this game for adulation. I think he hates it as he has no ego. He is in it for winning 

Remember when we beat Everton away under Gerrard and he was on the pitch afterwards giving it large? Unai is the exact opposite. When we win he's usually off quickly down the tunnel and already going on about our next game in the post-match interviews. Obsessive dedication.

32 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Harsh, Ange is a footballing visionary from beyond this realm who plays all-conquering football that will lead to countless glory

But he's Big Ange mate haha such banter mate haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Guess there’s only so many times it can be said in various ways “that was good, I approve”.

Emery currently on 492 pages (joined us 24th October 2022, so a year and a bit now).

Comparative pages after 1 year of thread being opened -

Smith thread 692 pages

Bruce thread 1125 pages

Gerrard thread 1254 pages (not quite 1 year in charge)

I think the difference in page numbers generated for a thread gives a fairly good indication to the validity of not so good results leading to more discussion and subsequently how each of those managers are (and were) perceived.

And just for those who want to wistfully think “Ah what could have been…”

Sherwood 850 pages after 8 months

Di Matteo 209 pages after 4 months 

That's exactly it, nothing to complain about.

As I said at the turn of the year:

On 03/01/2023 at 10:45, villanmac said:

He's the death of me on here. Whatever 11 he picks, formation he plays, player he signs or sells i have no argument. He could decide to flog Kamara and i'd just go with it. 

• Like 3

He's always stressing we're not contenders for the CL and the likes of Chelsea and United still are despite how poor they have been. I wonder if he truly believes this. He's been on a solid 2ppg since he arrived. Comfortably top 4 form. The other 2 are gash. Surely he must think we're in with a shout? 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He's always stressing we're not contenders for the CL and the likes of Chelsea and United still are despite how poor they have been. I wonder if he truly believes this. He's been on a solid 2ppg since he arrived. Comfortably top 4 form. The other 2 are gash. Surely he must think we're in with a shout? 

It's called psychology 😉

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think he believes we *can* be contenders, but I think he's also so studious and obsessed with detail that he's aware of the multitude of things that can go wrong. People will put it down to false modesty but I honestly think he's just really cautious personality-wise.

He will know if the squad's nature is to be driven by the pressure of expectation or not. There's not much benefit to us if he thinks the squad will struggle with that expectation.

I suspect personally he'll have CL qualification as a stretch goal, with the main aim to finish in Europa League position. For the squad all they need to focus on is the smaller picture - game to game, looking to improve on performances and develop our play and take it as read that results come with that.

• Like 2

Â