Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Bit in The Athletic, don’t think it’s been posted previously. Bit of an overview, but elsewhere in the article it references Unai’s team and the integration of the current back room team at Villa, with particular reference to VT’s favourite set piece coach.

The Athletic link

Nice feel good piece on us by ol' Gregg. All very true, and some nice insight on the coaching setup.

The way he described Coutinho makes it sound like he was our best forward before he got injured. Whilst that is clearly not the case, it did remind me that at his core he is an exceptional footballer. 

Be interesting to see what magic Emery can work on Coutinho and whether it sees him somewhere close to his best or he's one we just cut out losses on in the summer. I'd back Emery to be thinking he can get the best out of him.

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It feels like right time right place as far as Unai and Villa are concerned as Andy Townsend would say it really does. He's got the players ticking, the fans believing and the opposition running scared. Bit of luck with our results and that of the team's around us who knows what will happen. Either way next season should be an absolute cracker.

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Nice feel good piece on us by ol' Gregg. All very true, and some nice insight on the coaching setup.

The way he described Coutinho makes it sound like he was our best forward before he got injured. Whilst that is clearly not the case, it did remind me that at his core he is an exceptional footballer. 

Be interesting to see what magic Emery can work on Coutinho and whether it sees him somewhere close to his best or he's one we just cut out losses on in the summer. I'd back Emery to be thinking he can get the best out of him.

Me too.....I have a hunch, he will.

On 17/04/2023 at 16:39, Tayls said:

What’s he doing at 6mins there? Is he gesturing to the crowd to throw up some distractions with their hands? Or something else with the defence? 

I have no idea. He is certainly throwing a few shapes around. Not sure how much the players take on board all of that on pitchside!

On 17/04/2023 at 16:39, Tayls said:

What’s he doing at 6mins there? Is he gesturing to the crowd to throw up some distractions with their hands? Or something else with the defence? 

Hard to tell as they don't show the football alongside that clip, but definitely looks like a reaction to the crowd of some kind.  Crowd are singing Unai Emery's claret and blue at the time as well and his hand actions seem to be in time with the chant so maybe just encouraging the noise to continue.

Unai has obviously done an unbelievable job with us thus far, but I wouldn't say that we were relegation candidates under Gerrard. The squad was underperforming because of dreadful coaching. This is way above what we were expecting but looking at our squad and expenditure we should have been looking for a mid-table position as a minimum under Stevie G.

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Is it too late to change next season's badge? 

AirBrush_20230418224455-02.jpeg

With Unai on the badge we could actually bring back the “prepared” and it would be true for a change. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

ps I can't tell you the joy, I feel for all the younger fans, who have only seen Villa struggle.....it's their time now.

At the moment I try to be super optimistic, but somewhere in the back of my mind I always think when will we do it the Villa way and **** it up. I have seen us relegated to third tier, get back up again, then winning the league, celebrate winning in Europe and not long after see us getting relegated again. And that seems how we do thing, when we look like we are on the up, we fall to new depths.

I really hope it different this time, but Villa have disappointed me so many times that I think disappointment is part of being a Villa fan. 

16 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

At the moment I try to be super optimistic, but somewhere in the back of my mind I always think when will we do it the Villa way and **** it up. I have seen us relegated to third tier, get back up again, then winning the league, celebrate winning in Europe and not long after see us getting relegated again. And that seems how we do thing, when we look like we are on the up, we fall to new depths.

I really hope it different this time, but Villa have disappointed me so many times that I think disappointment is part of being a Villa fan. 

Villa have disappointed in the past, because we repeatedly, got things wrong

No one can say unconditionally, that we will keep this form up......but I do feel, something is changing. I am not bold enough to dismiss opponents, as another cull, But i now fear no one.

Things change in football, who would have thought, we would lose Jack, who we relied on so much....that has taken some time to be weaned off, we now have an 11 back, just like, we had in the late 70's, early 80's...there are parallels, despite the differences in time.

I can remember, way before Ron Saunders came, and it was much like the last 15 years of mediocrity......He changed the mentality, and I see a modern day version of that opening up, now.....I think its really exciting, without getting too carried away.

Unai, is creating many things Ron did, with the character, personality in the players, the doggedness to the belief it all brought....and that belief means the fans too.....We as a bunch of fans have been kept down, for years but I hope we can embrace this new era with grace and dignity and not get too cocky, as that can undo us......stay humble, stay proud, stay resolute.

There will be set backs along the way, when changes are made or new ideas introduced......but the base of it all, will be sustained.

Right now, we have top class owners and manager, all with huge ambition, as long as that lasts, we will be relentless.....its all a team game, the whole lot.... unity is key.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is starting to feel (for want of a better phrase), our “Spurs moment”. Where they went from being a top half PL team that simply made up the numbers, to a team that regularly challenged for European places. With the right player recruitment, we will challenge for CL football, much like Spurs did.

to add on to that- its also feeling like next season and beyond... as long as we have UE at the helm- we will be a threat to win trophies every season.  Albeit in the 2 cups or in a European tournament.  UE's track record is that good.  This manager just knows how to win.  Full stop.

Even if we get stretched thin in Europe and finish outside of the top6 one year- I'd still fully expect UE to win a cup or a European trophy of some kind that year to keep the European run moving forward the following season.  The man is just a winner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Unai has obviously done an unbelievable job with us thus far, but I wouldn't say that we were relegation candidates under Gerrard. The squad was underperforming because of dreadful coaching. This is way above what we were expecting but looking at our squad and expenditure we should have been looking for a mid-table position as a minimum under Stevie G.

We weren't serious relegation candidates but we were definitely serious candidates for relegation candidates, if that makes sense. A few more weeks and we'd have been right in it. Very similar to where we were when Smith was sacked, although we looked even more hopeless under Gerrard.

That's why Emery has done such a phenomenal job. To turn us from potential relegation battlers to serious European contenders is something I'd expect from him in a year to 18 months, not 6 months.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We were though, we had zero ideas and the next win looked miles off. We would be were Leicester is if he kept going

People always said it was a top 10 squad and they are proving it now with Unai genius is pushing us further on

• Like 4

Â