Unai Emery

PeterSw

I don't know how anyone can label UE's football style as boring....I think its anything but.

The slowing down of the play is a tactic, and its clever.....but it speeds up spontaneously, thats quite nouveau.

We as fans, just need to get used to it.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nominated for manager of the month

per my post in the mings thread, utterly pointless exercise as arteta is also nominated and arsenal unfortunately have more worldwide fans than us

Edit: I actually stand corrected:

Public vote

The public have the chance to play a role, too, helping to decide the winners in the categories of player, manager and goal.

The public's votes cast in each category will represent 10 per cent of the total votes and will be combined with those of the panel (and captains, for the player award).

So they could prove crucial in deciding who will receive the awards

https://www.premierleague.com/awards/explained

Edited by tomav84

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't know how anyone can label UE's football style as boring....I think its anything but.

The slowing down of the play is a tactic, and its clever.....but it speeds up spontaneously, thats quite nouveau.

Its like a cat stalking its prey. Slow slow and then explode into action. The opposing team are the enemy and we are watching for weakness before trying to capitalise. 

• Like 3

On 13/02/2023 at 15:18, DJBOB said:

If you zoom out - January was largely succesful in terms of more or less keeping us out of the relegation scrap. I remember when Gerrard was still manager - I was most worried about the 6 pointers this period. With the win at Spurs, we get 10/12 for a great January return.

February with Leicester, City, Arsenal, Everton - I would've had said 6 at minimum so we'll fall short there.

March with Palace, West Ham, Bournemouth - here's another big test as these are classic games we would slip up. Teams at or below our level with two of them at home. 6 would be good - 9 would be perfect.

April with Chelsea, Forest, Newcastle, Brentford, Fulham, United - this is tough list with 3 at home and 3 away. On the face of it, you're hoping for 6-9 points.

May with Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool, and Brighton - not an easy ending either. 3 or 4 points would be alright.

That would put us at or about 46 points which is one more point than last year.

Really emphasizes the  failure Stevie had picking up easy points against the bottom half teams in the beginning of the year (dropped 10 points against Bournemouth, West Ham, Leeds, and Forest) and  and how his stay was supported by simply playing teams below us. 

Lots of work for Unai ahead of us and this summer.

Right on track Unai. Delivering the goods and now we move onto a tough month with multiple fixtures. 10 points would be a good return and anything over 12 would be hints of Europe. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 01:59, Powehi said:

Tried to look for a "Villa in the Media" thread as I thought there was one, but couldn't seem to find it (not the Athletic one) so am posting here:

Very grudging praise in the normally even-handed Guardian football page today for the work Emery has done:

FA Cup and Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend’s action | Football | The Guardian

Maybe its because the article is not written by Paul Doyle, who normally covers us on the reg, but this seems a pretty big understatement of the upturn in our form since Emery arrived. 

Oh well, let them all continue to underrate us and then be shocked when we sneak 8th or 9th.

My favourite part is " Winning two consecutive games just 3 times " ....

What a way of wording winning at least 6 games out of 12? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My favourite part is " Winning two consecutive games just 3 times " ....

What a way of wording winning at least 6 games out of 12? lol

Yeah it's a nonsense. "Winning two consecutive games just 3 times" could hypothetically refer at best to 6 wins and 2 draws in 8.

In our actual case, we've had 5 wins and 1 defeat in a run of 7, then 3 defeats, then 3 wins and a draw. 8 wins and 2 draws in 14 in total. Weird to use "erratic" to put a negative spin on having taken over 60% of available points to date, form which over a full season would probably mean top 4 finish.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

The style of football you see in European competitions and at the top end of international football. Controlled football.

• Like 2

This time next season the media will be linking him with everyman and his dog, I reckon top 8 is looking like a decent bet and once your there you never know what can happen. 

As for the improvement this season, the points and wins are nice but it's the controlled performances I like more. After all we have seen points gained with poor performances before and it always ends in disappointment, this improvement is different. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

The style of football you see in European competitions and at the top end of international football. Controlled football.

This 💯, removing the panic button , so so looking forward to watching us now 

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

To think we were here after Gerrard's last game, with a run of Man Utd, Spurs, Brighton, Liverpool & Spurs in Emery's first 5 games.....

image.png.e9251ce141c03c2d1dc816e0afe07e6a.png

Then, 14 games under Emery later, we are here:

image.png.34d313fb9fbb997aba68550befd25eba.png

Unreal tbh, the mess we could have been in if Slippy had been kept on for just 5 to 10 games more doesnt bear thinking about.

Emery is the real deal isnt he.

To think Gerrard had us 4 points behind Bournemouth at that stage and Emery now has us 14 points infront of them!.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

This time next season the media will be linking him with everyman and his dog, I reckon top 8 is looking like a decent bet and once your there you never know what can happen. 

As for the improvement this season, the points and wins are nice but it's the controlled performances I like more. After all we have seen points gained with poor performances before and it always ends in disappointment, this improvement is different. 

I only think likes of Real Madrid or Barca would tempt him away if they ever came calling (same with Everton and Ancelotti). He's managed Arsenal and PSG already so had a fill of big clubs and big egos so think he'll enjoy this project for next 2-3 years building us up into consistent european qualifiers. 

Think he'll manage the Spanish national team before he's done but that's a fair few cycles away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

I do tend to forget how shit things were with Gerrard but looking at that, gosh we were terrible. Shame we didn't have Unai in earlier. 

We should've sacked Gerrard after losing at home to West Ham. Had lost 3 out of our first 4 games against bottom half opposition playing the same mediocre football as in the last months of the previous season. Had Arsenal and Man. City up next so not like we would've lost any points.

Perhaps the board held off as it might've been too early in the season for UE to leave Villareal so for once looks like we got our timing right to get in a proven and top class coach.

If we'd got him in earlier I think we'd have won the Forest and Leeds away game (or 4 points at worst) so will see at the end of the season if that is crucial.

57 minutes ago, supermon said:

I do tend to forget how shit things were with Gerrard but looking at that, gosh we were terrible. Shame we didn't have Unai in earlier. 

We also couldn't score for shit. Now we're on a ridiculous scoring streak.

Edited by Mantis

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

That's what Man City do though and people on here calls them boring.

I've just always disagreed with it.

i'd rather watch my team have the ball than the other team.

better for my blood pressure if nothing else - im convinced 30 years of watching Villa has aged me prematurely

• Haha 2

Â