Unai Emery

PeterSw

Our seasons over  in January (again) nothing to really play for so for me emery is deciding who stays and who is going next couple of windows.

For me the crap that needs to go is bednarek olsen dendonker chambers nakamba 

Tempted to cash in on cash too if a good offer comes in for for him

Emerys probably  regretting taking this job its going to ruin his career

Edited by Demitri_C

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Our seasons over  in January (again) nothing to really play for so for me emery is deciding who stays and who is going next couple of windows.

For me the crap that needs to go is bednarek olsen dendonker chambers nakamba 

Tempted to cash in on cash too if a good offer comes in for for him

Emerys probably  regretting taking this job its going to ruin his career

We've got 10 points from 15 in the league with the squad he inherited and he has pretty much carte blanche to build a club our size in whatever way he wants.  He's regretting it? 🤣

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

You should able to leave a Prem team like us to play it's own tactics and beat League 2 team like Stevenage.

I don't blame Emery one bit, the team played like it was gonna be a walk in the park and got unstuck. You just cannot play any team like this, it's suicide.

Our team have been embarrassed and I'm sure Emery now knows the good and the bad.

Yeah I agree to be honest. Premier League standard players you should be able to say 'go out and play lads' and more often than not should be winning

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Today is on Unai. He chose to play a weaker team and we lost. Having said that, the players also let us down with such a poor performance. We were unlikely to win the cup so it doesn’t really matter but I don’t understand why we have to rest players. Our squad must be the most underused squad in Europe. They are virtually part timers. 38 league games and 2 cup games a season should be fairly easy to manage!

The only one that makes a difference is probably Mings organising at the back. Issue was we didnt push on after scoring and thats really why we lost. Ramsey just returned from injury but I dont think Buendia/Ollie or McGinn were going to make much more of a difference going forward

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If people now accept the problem is the players and not the manager does that manager Gerrard was treated harshly ? 

Anyway that aside if the problem is the players then Emery needs time. We’re talking 4 windows at least. We have to be patient….again. 

The problem in the cup games is / was the players - we don't have the squad depth, because various players have lost interest or weren't good enough to begin with.

The problem in the league was the manager - we've fixed that, and results have been good (10 points from 5 games).

The player vs. manager thing isn't mutually exclusive. Our starting XI is good, and Emery is showing that they can get results. It just needs a couple of upgrades in key positions. Our overall squad isn't so good. Most PL sides would put out a second string side in these games, and you'd expect those players to step up and fight for a place in the regular XI. Instead we saw players going through the motions, treating it like a pre-season friendly.

What I think Emery will do is sign quality players to compete for first team spots, and then our current regulars can fight for their place, become squad players, or move on. We need fewer of these nothing signings, where they're just there to warm the bench and make up the numbers in training - Bednarek, Augustinsson, etc. In fairness to Chambers and Dendoncker, they've both had their moments in a Villa shirt, but they probably also qualify as nothing signings.

The only positives I can take from tonight are.

1. Emery has now seen what the fans already knew, a large chunk of this team are bottlers, or sh*t, or both.

2. Emery has January to fix at least some of the problems.

3. Hopefully Emery has some p45s prepared, some of these players need to be ejected from the building, doesn't matter which floor.

4. I actually trust Emery to sort this lot out, and bring some proper players in, it might take him 18 months, but I think he will do his best to sort it.

5. The players have nowhere to hide now, they have got 2 managers sacked and their number is up, we now have an elite manager, I back him 100%, he can eject the whole team for all I care, the bunch of so and so's (except martinez, Carlos, Luiz, kamara and ramsey).

6. We need to back Emery over this squad of 80% complete frauds, if he can't fix it in the next 18 months, with his CV, we honestly may as well shut up shop, I hope he nukes that dressing room 😀 

• Like 4

The same fans upset with Unai for today's lineup would be roasting him if he threw the normal XI out there today and we then lost to Leeds Friday. A Premier League bench should be able to beat a League Two side. This is on the players.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm glad Emery is seeing the limitations in the squad.

This has been the mantra under Smith, Gerrard and now Emery. They just aren't that good.

We have about four to six really strong PL players to build around.

Martinez, Mings, Luiz, Kamara, Ramsey are good enough.

The rest are average unfortunately.

And in all seriousness, you tend to be very positive and willing to give the benefit of the doubt with Villa players, too, I've noticed, so that's really saying something. It's the truth.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I'm a bit concerned that I'm not sure Emery has worked out how we should play when we are the team who are expected to be on the front foot. The last two games have been games where we should have been imposing ourselves on the opponents but we seem to struggle to do so. 

I'm sure with the addition of some of Emery's signings and some refinement we will improved but we are struggling for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I'm a bit concerned that I'm not sure Emery has worked out how we should play when we are the team who are expected to be on the front foot. The last two games have been games where we should have been imposing ourselves on the opponents but we seem to struggle to do so. 

I'm sure with the addition of some of Emery's signings and some refinement we will improved but we are struggling for now.

I think you’re right.

But I’m not concerned, as I’m sure he’ll figure it out.

• Like 1

Just now, Thug said:

I know what you mean, and I’m not trying to be a dick, rather I think I’m trying to comfort myself when I ask…

How much chance did we actually have though?

(I concede the answer ‘is infinitely more than 0’)

With Emery we had more of a chance than most years.

It's a shame he decided to waste it with a bad team selection.

This is one of the few things I gave Gerrard credit for. He always played a strong team in the cup.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

With Emery we had more of a chance than most years.

It's a shame he decided to waste it with a bad team selection.

This is one of the few things I gave Gerrard credit for. He always played a strong team in the cup.

Again, not being a dick because our first team wins that - you’re right.  But that team should have cakewalked that considering the opposition.

No one could have predicted that we would have lost that.

I was genuinely more upset with the league cup team he picked against United as I thought they were there for the taking.

He 100% should not have to explain why a bunch of internationals could not win that game.

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

Again, not being a dick because our first team wins that - you’re right.  But that team should have cakewalked that considering the opposition.

No one could have predicted that we would have lost that.

I was genuinely more upset with the league cup team he picked against United as I thought they were there for the taking.

He 100% should not have to explain why a bunch of internationals could not win that game.

It's not just about the player's quality on a piece of paper.

These players has barely played a game together before. There was poor chemistry all over the pitch.

2 or 3 changes I'd be fine with but 8 changes is idiotic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I'm a bit concerned that I'm not sure Emery has worked out how we should play when we are the team who are expected to be on the front foot.

Unai probably knows how. However, we've been essentially a counter-attacking team at least since promotion. It's going to take a while to change.

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

We've got 10 points from 15 in the league with the squad he inherited and he has pretty much carte blanche to build a club our size in whatever way he wants.  He's regretting it? 😂🤣

Didnt realise the season was based on five games 😂

10 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Class interview, and the best part about it for me is he looked directly into the camera when apologizing and saying we need to improve quickly

• Like 1

Â