Unai Emery

PeterSw

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I think your giving the fans overall too much credit.. the patience nowadays isn't there. Make no mistake if they is a start of a bad run the pressure will be on Emery just as it was every other fired previous manager.

Maybe, but I think Emery will get more time than average. There's nowhere else left to go.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Emery has to shoulder a portion of the blame today. No sense putting in almost your entire second team when you're trying to advance in the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world. We aren't Manchester City. We don't have that kind of depth and we don't have any trophies at all in decades. Take it more seriously, Goddamit.

We also showed the opposition little respect in the team selection, but also by coasting in the second half. Tapping the ball around in their half with no  impetus or desire to put the game to bed.

We got exactly what we deserved from this game today.

Shocking display. Unforgivable for the time being.

We were playing Stevenage.

Arguably our worst player on the pitch was a player who has started every game since Emery came in (Bailey).

The vast majority of the players on the pitch cost us substantial amounts of money and have played a number of premier league games in recent seasons.

One of our players almost single handedly gave away the game when we were 1-0 up and Stevenage hadn’t had a single shot on target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

We started with 6 internationals, 3 of them were at the world cup, and 4 more ex internationals, sanson was our only uncapped player

And then the subs made us stronger!

Its not the line up, that's not the excuse today

Huge underlying mental problems at this club, the work rate and movement were absolutely **** garbage, Ive never seen a team as bad at moving and showing for the ball as villa, I just don't get it

A real issue creating chances, particularly against sides that sit deep. We just don't have enough goal in our team. Buendia, bailey, Coutinho, Watkins,. Mcginn, etc etc. They don't score anywhere near enough goals.

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s this sort of arrogance that cost us our place in the next round. 

At any level of football, if you play a back 5 who’ve never started together, you’re going to get punished. 9 times out of 10 we win that game with the team we picked today but you run the risk of losing if you take chances with the team selection. 

Emery will have learnt a lot today, which is the only positive I can take. He rolled the dice with his team selection and I’m afraid it backfired. 

Your whole post is a contradiction, how can you say if you play a back five who have never played together you will get punished, then in the same sentence say 9 times out of 10 you win?  Which is it?

It didn’t backfire, there was a school boy error that changed the game, top class players make those mistakes less often than average players, but you are bonkers if you think they don’t happen at all.  Are you hitting yourself with a spruce and wailing as you post? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

yes

The reason you are wrong is because in your own words, "he picked a team easily good enough to beat Stevenage". THEY weren't good enough, so THEY didn't beat Stevenage.

Dendoncker's error was shocking, but the game shouldn't even have been close. If you can't break a league one team down more than once your own team is shit. End of.

21 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I think your giving the fans overall too much credit.. the patience nowadays isn't there. Make no mistake if they is a start of a bad run the pressure will be on Emery just as it was every other fired previous manager.

If that happens then we don’t deserve anything good, we are not entitled and whilst I covet the memory’s of 81/82, they mean sod all now.

We have an excellent manager, now we build.  There will be bumps in the road but important we stick behind him and the team

Edited by macandally
  • Like 2

If we’d lost to a low Orem team or even Championship I’d say fair do’s players aren’t good enough but this was a 4th division team.

I like Emery but he shoulders a large portion of the blame. Can’t  have it both ways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

If we’d lost to a low Orem team or even Championship I’d say fair do’s players aren’t good enough but this was a 4th division team.

I like Emery but he shoulders a large portion of the blame. Can’t  have it both ways.

Mentally, many of the players out there aren't good enough.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

I said in the match thread his biggest challenge will be getting this team to perform with the majority of possession and break down teams. We’re excellent at counter attacking playing against better sides in his first 5 premier league games has been easier for him to set up than playing agains the sides near the bottom. Yes he should take part of the blame but we lack physicality and creativity. This will take time. 

37 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

45 years thanks and you can't expect a first team of xi to play every game of the season.  if you can't rely on your squad to beat Stevenage your screwed.  and ybh it was going fine until Dendonker happened. 

45 years. Remember 1981? 14 players won us the league that year. You also don’t need to rotate so many. Keep your spine and rotate around it. It’s caught us out so many times. 
Emery will sort us out. It will take time but he will get us there. When he does and we start to play 50 plus games per season, I will accept some rotation. Until then, whilst we only play 40 games per season and we haven’t won anything since 1996, I will hope he’s learnt his lesson and will take things more seriously in future.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Mentally, many of the players out there aren't good enough.

Whose job is it to prepare the team? This was a 4th division side. 

We should have played Martinez and one of Mings or Konsa today. There's really no excuse for picking Olsen, he's proved time and time again what a hopeless case he is. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jim said:

Yep, I clearly saw Emery tell donk to do the flick on the edge of the D then Rugby tackle the striker 👍

Â