Unai Emery

PeterSw

It’s 5 games but i can honestly say I’ve never enjoyed it this much since Gregory and John was far from elite but to each their own. Speaking personally. The level of excitement i felt at that time is akin to this. And i was 13 or so then. Wasn’t looking at that team through the lens of a 38 year old as i am know with an appreciation for the finer aspects. His detail, in game management. Clearly works the bollocks off them in training. Doesn’t start anyone where it seems the message isn’t landing. Shocked at Cash not starting ? Graham Hunter told us all this when he was appointed. The information is loaded, if you are open and willing to take stuff on board you’ll be taken along for the ride . Yes Young is 37. He’s also a consummate pro who’s played at Man United and Inter and Villa first time round. Guy is probably impressing Emery no end. 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm still baffled as to how, as a supposedly "well run club", we fell into the old trap of appointing a great player, thinking his "winning mentality" would transmit to our players purely through his aura.

Emery was a second-tier footballer who achieved very little as a player. Like Klopp, Mourinho, Benitez, Wenger, Potter, Howe, Ten Hag, etc.

Sure, some great managers were also great footballers, but most great footballers do not make great managers. And that's not a new thing. Since Arrigo Sacchi's classic Milan side, surely it's been obvious to anyone paying attention, that there's no requirement to have played football at the highest level, and you should be judging coaches on their coaching CV, not their playing accolades.

The one thing that I will give credit to Gerrard for is he managed to attract some top quality high profile players, mostly because of his name/connections.  I think Digne and Coutinho would have been out of our reach without him.  Shame he couldn't actually coach them!

On your second points, it is unfortunate that professional football, like many other professions, is very much an old boys club in which ex-pros are given opportunities that they simply haven't earned.  You are 100% correct in your assessment.  Attitudes have changed somewhat in the past couple of decades but there's a long way to go.  Gerrard and Lampard especially had/have absolutely neither the qualifications or experience to be coaching at the level they have. 

Going back not too long ago, how many clubs employed people like Trevor Francis and Souness before it became obvious they weren't good coaches. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

The one thing that I will give credit to Gerrard for is he managed to attract some top quality high profile players, mostly because of his name/connections.  I think Digne and Coutinho would have been out of our reach without him.  Shame he couldn't actually coach them!

On your second points, it is unfortunate that professional football, like many other professions, is very much an old boys club in which ex-pros are given opportunities that they simply haven't earned.  You are 100% correct in your assessment.  Attitudes have changed somewhat in the past couple of decades but there's a long way to go.  Gerrard and Lampard especially had/have absolutely neither the qualifications or experience to be coaching at the level they have. 

Going back not too long ago, how many clubs employed people like Trevor Francis and Souness before it became obvious they weren't good coaches. 

Spot on. Emery had a modest playing career , at best. Obviously a very common misconception that somebody with a playing career like his can’t command respect and directive from players who have reached levels he couldn’t as a player. His body of work speaks for itself. That’s what gets their respect AND sustains it. Gerrard is like the Tinder bird you haven’t properly screened. You match with her. You are drawn in by the surface level stuff but when you actually get to know her she’s kinda dull and not that interesting. ( I’ve had a few, bank holiday weekend and we won ) 😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That's definitely true for Coutinho, but I'm not convinced the other players Gerrard gets credited with (Digne, Kamara, Carlos) really saw him as the big draw. It's more the fact we have a lot of money and can guarantee minutes to a big signing.

I think people read a bit too much into the manager's personal reputation sometimes. Ravanelli to Middlesbrough, Van der Sar to Fulham, Campo and Hierro to Bolton, Cambiasso to Leicester, Cabaye to Palace... PL sides have always been able to pull off surprising moves if they're willing to throw some money about or if the project looks interesting.

It's an interesting situation for Emery, because he has an excellent reputation in Spain, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up some quality players from La Liga. Really only the elite Champions League talent that will be out of reach, given the budget we have.

Rewatching this video after watching a few Villa games now under Emery, the analysis of Villareal (from 3:55) is really interesting.

Few similarities that stand out:

• Playing central midfielders in the "wide" roles (Coquelin & Pina / McGinn & Buendia)
  • Playing a quick winger as on the of the front 2 (Danjuma / Bailey)
  • Having one full back who has more licence to attack, with the player in front of him cutting inside (Estupinan & Coquelin / Digne & Buendia) and one full back who sits more in the backline (Hoyth / Young)
  • Breaking against pressing sides by drawing them out to the wing and then getting a midfield playmaker on the ball in space
  • Having 2 distinct styles of play (the high press we used against Liverpool, and the deeper block we used against Spurs)

Results suggest we've got the deeper block style of play working to plan already, but what will be interesting is when we face some lower table sides at Villa Park, and we try to play the more aggressive press. It didn't work against Liverpool, but it would be great to see us really turn over a side on the front foot.

It's also having those two modes of play that must allow Emery to react to a game situation. If we're a goal down and need to attack, the players will be drilled in changing up. Likewise, if we're protecting a lead after starting aggressively. It gives him his Plan B in every game, which is something we haven't had for a long time.

The wolves game will be interesting with the onus on us to take the initiative as the home side. As you quite rightly pointed out ,didn’t work against Liverpool. You would be a fool not to respect the talent Wolves possess on any given day in Moutinho, Neves and Nunes. Emery knows Lopetegui inside out. The reverse is also true. I think it will be the most difficult actually of the perceived winnable games we have coming up. Would of much preferred them when Lage or Davis in charge. Lopetegui turning them already. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

That's definitely true for Coutinho, but I'm not convinced the other players Gerrard gets credited with (Digne, Kamara, Carlos) really saw him as the big draw. It's more the fact we have a lot of money and can guarantee minutes to a big signing.

I think people read a bit too much into the manager's personal reputation sometimes.

This may generally be true, but I’m pretty sure Kamara has said that Gerrard going to his house and selling him “the project” is the reason that he signed for us ahead of some “bigger” European sides. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Argentina is an exception - there are people like Buendia who have both, but Emi Martinez and Lionel Messi just use their paternal surname.

- Damián Emiliano Martínez Romero

- Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccitini

As far as I know, the naming customs in all Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries are consistent. It's just cumbersome to use your entire name so they simplify it by just using the paternal name.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were players around who used the maternal name instead, but you've also got people like Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro who don't use any of their surnames.

Back on topic: big love to Uncle Emery, giving Villa it's mojo back.

• Like 1

At least the “pundits” have dropped the narrative that the players should be held to account for not turning in this type of performance under Slippy G. 

Not heard much form Mr Murphy either since his somewhat rude assessment of Emery’s appointment 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

- Damián Emiliano Martínez Romero

- Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccitini

As far as I know, the naming customs in all Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries are consistent. It's just cumbersome to use your entire name so they simplify it by just using the paternal name.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were players around who used the maternal name instead, but you've also got people like Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro who don't use any of their surnames.

Back on topic: big love to Uncle Emery, giving Villa it's mojo back.

Madonna Louise Ciccone 

23 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This is perhaps the first time ever in my living memory that if I had the chance to meet any current Villa player and have a 15 minute chat with them face to face, I would actually choose the manager. 

He said thanks for the offer but he’s washing his hair that day 😉

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

This may generally be true, but I’m pretty sure Kamara has said that Gerrard going to his house and selling him “the project” is the reason that he signed for us ahead of some “bigger” European sides. 

Agreed. No need to rewrite history. Gerrard brought in some very good players. But he was a shit manager.

Â