Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The problem with Potter is that he's got no reason (other than probably money) to come to Villa. We are on level with Brighton and fighting for similar things at this point. 

He gets to move back home and also gets to keep his better players if our ambition is to get top 6

I think Brighton realistic ambition is just be top 10

Poch  Rodgers and Potter in that order .

Would Poch come- course he would if the project is as exciting as we are led to believe. In the days of O'Neil we were.bigger than Spurs. they went forward we went backwards. 

Are.Potter and Rodgers a big upgrade on Stevei- hell yeah! 

So Poch , Rodgers and Potter as they are all significantly better than Stevie

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the season is over if we bring in a manager who wants to play with wide players since we only have 1 with 2 dumped in the reserves

He could always take them out of reserves ;)

General consensus  seems to be Potters the ideal candidate and he doesn’t really play with ‘wide players’.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the season is over if we bring in a manager who wants to play with wide players since we only have 1 with 2 dumped in the reserves

Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi can all play wide and could probably recall JPB.

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The problem with Potter is that he's got no reason (other than probably money) to come to Villa. We are on level with Brighton and fighting for similar things at this point. 

Money is normally a very big incentive. I’d also argue our ceiling is a lot higher than Brightons. However the pressure is a lot less for him at the moment.  Didn’t they go on a 11 game run without a win last season ?  If he did that at Villa fans would want him gone.

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

You are more than welcome to Brendan Rodgers !!

All smoke and mirrors with no substance !! He talks a big game but is tactically inept. You might just as well stick with Gerrard rather than put up with the Rodgers blame game.

Only has given leicester  good europe runs and a fa cup. Definitely take him

I recall one time when we were looking for a manager, Moyes was available but virtually everyone on here including me (!) did not want him anywhere near our club. 

He hasn't done too bad at wet spam.....

Regarding the names handed about on here, I think any of them will be better than what we currently have tbh....I am willing to give SG to the end of the wet spam game at VP....

VTID

• Like 1

Potter is a difficult one. He's got nous, by all accounts he's a pretty good strategist and Brighton punch well above their weight when on song. But he's working to a very different brief than he would have here, and this would be a big departure for him. Feels like too much of a punt.

I'd sooner go balls out for someone who's done it at the top table, who knows how to handle a big club with expectations, and who's proven themselves up to the task. No more hopeful development jobs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Potter is a difficult one. He's got nous, by all accounts he's a pretty good strategist and Brighton punch well above their weight when on song. But he's working to a very different brief than he would have here, and this would be a big departure for him. Feels like too much of a punt.

I'd sooner go balls out for someone who's done it at the top table, who knows how to handle a big club with expectations, and who's proven themselves up to the task. No more hopeful development jobs.

I think this is half the problem, i agree but who from the top table is available and in addition would take on the poisoned chalice the job is or is becoming, it is a very small pond. The one argument for Potter is that he is a proven Premier manager and I can barely remember the last one of those we had

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This is Brendan Rodgers. I'm astounded at all the comments turning their noses up at him, perhaps he has a shelf life but in his current job he has literally done exactly what we demand, taken a mid table club into Europe. 

Perhaps it's because when we were relegated Leicester were Champions, then when we came back Rodgers was already guiding them to 5th that our supporters don't realise they finished 12th, 9th and 9th in between? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Money is normally a very big incentive. I’d also argue our ceiling is a lot higher than Brightons. However the pressure is a lot less for him at the moment.  Didn’t they go on a 11 game run without a win last season ?  If he did that at Villa fans would want him gone.

They went on a 6-game losing streak (which included getting turned over by us at home) and the game that broke that streak was a 0-0 draw at home to Norwich. I do rate Potter but certainly the pressure here would be far higher.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is Brendan Rodgers. I'm astounded at all the comments turning their noses up at him, perhaps he has a shelf life but in his current job he has literally done exactly what we demand, taken a mid table club into Europe. 

Perhaps it's because when we were relegated Leicester were Champions, then when we came back Rodgers was already guiding them to 5th that our supporters don't realise they finished 12th, 9th and 9th in between? 

Rodgers is someone I've never particularly taken to, which is part of the problem I think. He has his problems as a manager - defensively he's suspect and simply doesn't seem able to make Leicester better at doing it, and he has that Mourinho quality where when the wheels fall off they really fall off. But he is actually a manager as opposed to Gerrard.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

“bUt iTs oNlY oNe gAmE”

“bUt wHaT aBoUt hIS FiRsT sIX gAmEs oF hiS tEnUre”

It just shows how poor we’ve been this calendar year and those first six games under his tenure (“New Manager Bounce”😉) has covered the major cracks that has occurred since for some people.

No more British managers! They are so far behind continental managers. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man Utd (the regular top six) all have foreign managers and that is why they are at the top.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Their fans inexplicably turned on him as he had them in 7th place last mid-season. That might stick in his memory. 

Edited by maqroll

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They turned on him during the bad run even though he was 7th in the league ?

Maybe even higher than that, I'm not entirely sure on their highest league position, but it was a great position for Brighton. When he wasn't able to get them to maintain a Leicester style run at the league, a noticeable segment of their supporters were very vocal against him.

• Shocked 1

The difference between managing Brighton and Villa is massive. I dont want to see Villa take another punt on who they pick and Potter has never never managed a club that carries the same preassure that the Villa job would have, again a good manager but un tested at a big club no depth of exreriance under that type of preassure. I also wonder if he could draw in big name players the same way Pooch could. I want our great club to do the sensible thing, take no chances, get a proven TOP mannager in, Pooch wont be available for long, and he certainly wont still be available after the world cup break.

Edited by Podster